The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Windpuffs

What do you think of windpuffs? Do you look at them as a unsightly blemish caused by work or do you think they are caused by a bigger underlying problem? What are your general opinions and experiences with windpuffs?
    Most people that I know think that windpuffs just the result of hard work and thats why they are mostly seen in performance horses.
    I just want to see what other COTHer's views and experiences with them are. So what do ya'll think?

Windpuffs don't bother me. If I was looking to buy a horse that had them, I would have them checked in the PPE to make sure that is all they are but then I would not give them another thought.

One of my horse's has had windpuffs since before I bought him. So far, after 12 years they haven't bothered him *knocking on wood*
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Same thoughts as Rockinhorse. My giant came w/ them when I bought him 4 yrs ago. No issues at all. PPE wasn't an issue. I just keep a check on them. So far, so good!

If the windpuffs are new, I've had luck with DMSO to get them to go away but if the horse has had them a while-they are there to stay and often do not effect the horse.

ditto everyone else -- my big horse had large windpuffs behind when I bought him. Didn't bother him, PPE vet said not to worry, and 6 years later never been an issue. They are unsightly, that's about it IME.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Over-work, over-weight will cause wind puffs.
    If he passes soundness exam then I wouldn't consider it an issue.

Showed a pony for years with wind puffs, never put a foot wrong.

Windpuffs don't bother me in the least. I love and own OTTBs so I don't know that I've ever owned a horse that didn't have windpuffs, LOL. My rule is this: smaller or the same after exercise=no problem. Bigger after exercise warrants further investigation.

Default re:dwblover comment

concerned if larger after exercise - what might you be looking for in this case?

My then 8 year old QH had them when we bought him.. vet said they were just a blemish and not to worry. We showed hunters/eq for the next 10 years with no issues at all, except when we were at the larger shows and he was stalled for several days at a time and he stocked up minorly, so lots of hand walking He's now 27, retired, and completely sound.

Aren't wind puffs inflamation in the tendon sheath?
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Windpuffs are a build up of fluid in the fetlock joint capsule or the flexor tendon sheath, so it does not mean there is actual damage to either of those structures.

B3, I look for the windpuffs to be larger and/or hotter after exercise. That can indicate inflammation or injury. My horse's are always smaller after exercise due to increased circulation. If they were bigger after exercise I'd be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by dwblover View Post
    Windpuffs are a build up of fluid in the fetlock joint capsule or the flexor tendon sheath, so it does not mean there is actual damage to either of those structures.

B3, I look for the windpuffs to be larger and/or hotter after exercise. That can indicate inflammation or injury. My horse's are always smaller after exercise due to increased circulation. If they were bigger after exercise I'd be concerned.

this.
    something similiar can happen around their hocks, but it's slipping my mind as to what it's called...
    it's purely a blemish. if it causes unsoundness, then it is not a windpuff.
    Oldenburgs do it better

rip mystic puddin' 1984-2006
    rip banacek 1992-2007

If I am at a show where there is no turnout for several days, I use Back on Track wraps. They take the puffiness away, beautifully.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Thankfully, I found this thread regarding wind puffs. I searched all over Washington for a horse for my family and found a lovely mare. However, she has wind puffs - one side being larger than the other one. The owner who owned her for 2.5 years said that the owner before drove her hard and fast on barrel racing. From what I could see, the mare did not show any sign of lameness. Nor, did her puffs feel hot to the touch. The puffs are about the size of a small pancake wrapped just above her back ankles of her front legs. I plan on taking her out on trail rides around here in the Pacific Northwest. One side is larger than the other one. Other than the wind puffs, I'd take her in a heart beat! Should I be worried?
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Quote Originally Posted by danosaur View Post

this.
    something similiar can happen around their hocks, but it's slipping my mind as to what it's called...
    it's purely a blemish. if it causes unsoundness, then it is not a windpuff.
    You're thinking of curbs. I had an interesting conversation with my vet about curbs a couple of weeks ago. He says everyone makes a big deal out of them and he's yet to see a horse lame because of them.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Quote Originally Posted by okcismelhorse View Post
    I've had luck with DMSO to get them to go away
    I would swear my life on getting DMSO to make windpuffs go down. My guys only get them when they've been standing in a stall to long (like if they don't get to go out because of the weather), but once they are worked, they go away.

So, do you wrap after applying the DMSO or just put it on? My 4 YO got windpuffs after being turned out 24/7 in my hilly pasture this summer, ran up and down like a fool. I would be interested to hear how you get rid of them.

Usually just painting the DMSO on works for me, but if they really won't go away then wrapping could help too. My guys always get them on their ankles, so wrapping isn't the most beneficial, but I would say it's worth a try!

My appendix mare has had them for at least 6.5 years. She's 19 now and still sound, working 2nd and 3rd level. Hers are on both fronts. Her hind fetlocks are a bit thick, but not really windpuffs. They have always been that way.

Thanks, I'm gonna try it!