The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default forging injury?

I've never had a horse who had a forging injury. My 8 year old mare is favoring her RF. No heat, no swelling, no pounding pulse, but above her heel there is a soft squishy swelling about the size of a walnut in a shell. She can stand on it but doesn't seem to put a lot of pressure on it. She does not forge, but I observed shennanigans yesterday with her TWH buddy, so I'm guessing she clipped the area with her back hoof. She really didn't want to pick up her LF when I was doing an assessment.
    Yes, I will be contacting the vet. Mare is next door now where the terrain is not as hilly.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Last edited by ManyDogs; Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Sounds like an abcess waiting to come out the heel area.

Thanks for the info, JB.

Never had an absess come out like that. TWH pony had one last Fall but on the sole of her hoof. Vet took care of it. TWH pony was p*ssed at me for a week after she was done with stall rest/soaking.

No need to stall rest an abcess horse unless it's causing him to put undo strain on other legs. Generally, the more movement, the better when it comes to getting the abcess out Just make sure the footing is forgiving, meaning no rocks

Again, thanks, JB.
    With the TWH/pony, vet said to keep her in the stall for 5 days. We have big stalls so at least she got some movement.

Current mare is in a shaded, grassy area with lots of soft dirt.
    She's my heart horse so I am more than a little distressed!

My heart horse overreaches; when she has had an injury related to that, there has always been an obvious cut or scrape where the toe of the hind hoof connected and then raked through flesh as the stride continued. In the absence of an obvious wound like that, I'd also lean toward suspecting an abcess coming out at a somewhat unusual spot.

Whatever the problem, I hope it resolves quickly for both your and your mare's sakes!
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

well, its definetly not a forging injury because forging is defined as hitting the bottom of a front hoof with the toe of a back hoof.

Overreach injuries do usually break the skin if they are even mildly severe, but count on a horse to something unusual.

My horse once presented with symptoms very similar to your's (identical to your description) the day after a hard work out. He turned out to have an injury to the DDFT on the back of the pastern. Only a vet can diagnose that though.

Did you clip the area and make sure there is no broken skin or signs of "bacterial scratches". The swelling could be caused by an infection, even one that can't be seen with short hair covering the skin.