The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default KWPN vs KWPN-NA

I have a question that I hope will not turn into a trainwreck, but somehow will I'm sure.

What are the registry options for a papered TB mare in the States? Because I have noticed here that my 4yo is not in reg A she is in the Foal Book - papers say VB. She has a complete pedigree on her Dutch papers. Now I know this will bring out a lot of "well that's stupid" because mare isn't approved. But then again the Dutch have the IBOP and other systems of scoring so that you can be more than just in the foalbook and obviously they won't move up crap.

So if my mare came to the States and I went to register any offspring with the KWPN-NA are they going to only issue me with a COP and say foal really isn't eligible for registration? Does the fact that she already has a VB offspring make any difference?

Thanks in advance.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

JC papered mares breed to fully approved Dutch stallions throw foal book offspring. Meaning the foal is eligible for foal book and eventual branding. JC papered mares bred to stallions approved in other registries but not dutch are approved A Book...eligible to move up to higher books upon further testing when older. They have to have x-rays and something else to move up...I'm a little fuzzy on what else they need.
    Grassfield Sport Horses, LLC

Follow us on facebook!!!

The foal out of a registered TB mare bred to an approved stallion is eligible for Register A. It would then be eligible to be upgrade to the studbook after inspection.

I know they changed some of the rules in 2008, so maybe that's how her first foal got foalbook papers?

Very good, thanks very much. My mare isn't registred with the Jockey Club though, she is registered with Weatherby's which is the England and Ireland equilvalent of the JC. But the mare's DNA would be recorded with the KWPN and Weatherby's for that matter.

Good Stuff!
    Terri

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

I'll be honest, her first warmblood foal was in Reg A, the second was in the foalbook. I actually think the rules changed here in part to due EU regulations regarding passports. I called and quizzed the WPN and back then they said, "nope right book." Alright I didn't go any further as it suited me obviously. But at the same time I do know that there is much required of KWPN horses as they get older so crap does get weeded out.

I was going to register this year's Iroko foal with the KWPN but since I'm selling in Ireland it's in his best interest to be registered with the IHB. That way he is eligible for the IHB young horse classes.

Terri