The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CO Hampton

Im looking to buy a new helmet and the CO Hampton is my thought. I really like the look of them as I grew up showing in the nineties when velvet was a fashion. Are these still considered acceptable fashion in the hunter ring? I will be showing the baby greens and low adults. I have a GPA but its wearing out and Im tired of the skunk stripe. I dont really wanna spend upwards of $300 again anyways. Thanks!

N

Of course it is. It is ASTM approved and that is what counts most.

They are absolutely acceptable =) and they have a replacement policy in case you should have to use it. =)
    I had one up until recently, I bought it at the farm house

http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...-Helmet/Detail

It was very comfortable and i loved the harness design.

- i had to move to a vented kind though. I have alot of really thick hair and really needed something vented for showing w/ it all stuffed up in my helmet.

They are probably the most traditional looking approved helmet that I have seen the most of. The bow isn't upside down - like the old school ones of the 80s, it's right side up. Which I think means 'you've earned your colors' in the hunt community. Not sure.. But honestly, very few of the helmets out there on the market today even have bows at all anymore.

Gpa also makes a nice velvet one, but it is of more current design w/ them venting in the front.

If you wait to purchase a new helmet until this Saturday (July 10) I have seen all sorts of 'Upcoming Sale' e-mails from Dover and other tack stores in honor of Helmet Awareness Day (or whatever they have named it). You might be able to find a good deal!

i think its national wear your helmet day. Succeed is sponsoring it and yes most of the MFR's are offering 10 to 15% off helmets purchased that day only. may not sound like much but when you are looking at GPA's it ad sup! =D

Itg is the classic helmet. No frills, Logos etc. Has a great fit and is infused with silver iond.......does not stink! It will loosen up and you can get a piece if felt and run it under the circumfrance liner for a very custom fit. Love mine!!

So greatful to get to ride!

I hear you! I was also a 90's show kid and just had to get with the program on updated helmets 6 months ago when I started showing again after a 10-year hiatus. Got the CO Hampton.. and while I'm reasonably happy with it it definitely has an awkward, giant pumpkin-head quality and I personally hate the harness. I just cannot believe it would stay fastened in the event of a spill with the flimsy little hook deal. Anyway, I would just advise going to a tack shop & trying one on to make sure you actually like it (yeah it's velvet but it's also big and dumb-looking) rather than doing the mailorder thing.