The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default WWYD in this case, Summer Camp cruelty case

I just got a report from one of the girls I worked with last year at a camp in Maine, that one of the horses this year was critically injured yesterday, needing immediate vet attention. The camp waited 10 hours to call the vet, stating that they thought the horse's owner (a woman who leases the horses to the camp) would pay the bill. The staff member said "no one would come near the horse," meaning that the camp directors said not to touch it until they got word from the owner about the bill.

The ended up putting the horse down, blood spatter everywhere.. it was a very bad injury.

I think someone should report it to animal welfare in Maine.

It makes me sick to my stomach. I worked with the horse last summer...

It's very upsetting for me to get this news today.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

Oh my goodness that is wrong. The camp does need to have something in place so horses can be treated in an emergency situation like that. I certainly understand why you would be upset.

I wasn't there to see it personally, but the staff members are very upset and posted about it on Facebook of all places..

Apparently it was horrible, stressful, and very cruel to the horse.

I am pissed... and upset about the horse. He was one of the best camp horses last year.
    One of a Kind Studio

NO COMMENT, JUST A THOUGHT, SOMEONE HAD A PHONE FOR THE PEOPLE, WHY COULD THEY NOT CALLED 911, OH THATS RIGHT, ITS A HORSE. I WOULD HAVE ,I DON,T CARE.

i agree with you, it's messed up. I may file an anonymous report
    One of a Kind Studio

Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa View Post
    i agree with you, it's messed up. I may file an anonymous report
    If nothing else, perhaps attention from the animal control people will make them sort something out for the other horses so that if they need care, there's no waiting to figure out who pays.

(Seriously, who takes on the responsibility of care for an animal without communicating about what to do in the event of an emergency? When I pet-sit for my aunt, she actually calls up her normal vet and makes sure he knows she's away and that if anything happens, I'll be calling him and he's authorized to provide treatment up to $X in the event he can't contact her immediately for approval. With some of her older animals, she's even discussed with him situations in which she'd be comfortable with him euthanizing without waiting to contact her, if the condition was such that they couldn't be kept comfortable.)

It's messed up that the camp doesn't have a written policy about what to do with injured leased horses. There should be policies laid out for that kind of situation, it's not exactly unforeseeable.

It's called a vet directive, and should be a standard part of any lease.

Shame on them. And may the poor horse be at peace.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Totally agreed.. it has the poor staff members (mostly 20 year olds) totally upset and shaken. It's the camp director's fault for this. No animal should suffer like that. They could sort out the bill after, just not let the animal suffer.

The horse's name was Stitch, a solid citizen about 21 yrs old.. appaloosa.

Awful.
    One of a Kind Studio

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

My god. If this camp doesn't have a policy in place for something like this, which is rather basic, what else don't they have a policy for?!
    Full-time bargain hunter.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

^Good question...the day camp I worked at took full responsibility for vet and farrier care of all horses while at camp. One horse got injured the final day and they still paid for all the vet bills etc. My personal horse was used in lead line classes and even though I still rode her as well all her vet/farrier/board was covered.

I would encourage your friends actually there to place an anonymous call to animal control. I don't think animal control would do anything about it if a call came through from California, I think they'd consider it a time waster.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Name and shame them?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I would think that the owner of the horse would be able to bring some attention to this by calling AC and notifying them; also to bring some type of civil suit against the camp.... certainly having improper ( or lacking altogether) protocols that lead to the neglect & suffering of this horse would be a bad thing for the camp.

Don't all lawsuits become a matter of public record?

I also agree if they're lacking directives for their horses, how does it speak to the safety of the children in their care?

This just disgusts me.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Agree with contact the owner of the horse and have those who were there explain what happened and the timeline.
    It's up to the owner really and I'd imagine the owner would take action.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

If your waiting for the AC in Maine to DO something-even just return a phone call-don't bother to hold your breath. It takes MONTHS and mucho many phone calls/public discussions and outings on BB's, and contacts with every state representative to get an AC rep to even admit that there 'might' a problem worth checking out.
    By then the 'problem' has usually died and been buried..
    Example: the fiasco at Fair Play Farm

Name and shame them? Yes...
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

If this camp is accredited (ACA) I'd check whether this could be a violation which would cause them to lose that status.

This is appalling. No ideas as to what to do, others have more insight- but please, should (god forbid) something like this happen again before the legal aspects of this get sorted out, tell your friends to SCREW THE CAMP DIRECTOR, contact a danged vet themselves and care for the horse. Their jobs are NOT worth a life or being party to that sort of torture. They just aren't.

And yes, I would probably drag the name of this camp through every mud hole I could find.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    ^Good question...the day camp I worked at took full responsibility for vet and farrier care of all horses while at camp. One horse got injured the final day and they still paid for all the vet bills etc. My personal horse was used in lead line classes and even though I still rode her as well all her vet/farrier/board was covered.

I would encourage your friends actually there to place an anonymous call to animal control. I don't think animal control would do anything about it if a call came through from California, I think they'd consider it a time waster.
    I wrote an email, but as you say since I wasn't on site, I don't know if they will do anything. It's horrible.. and very upsetting.
    One of a Kind Studio

Well, it was posted on Facebook about the incident, by one of the staff members so I guess it's public knowledge now anyway. This post is what was said on FB, to another staffer that went home early:

yeah so they put stitches down, not before making him wait ten hours for a vet because they thought anne (the horse owner) was paying the bill and no one would come near it...seriously upsetting, stressfull, blood splattered day. come the f&ck on vez, im coming straight to visit you to get rat arsed when this is over...xxxx
    They are a high brow camp for rich girls from NYC for the most part.

I worked there last year. The camp director is a bit of a nut job IMHO, worried about the bottom line.. it's a bunch of "Smoke and Mirrors" the whole camp program there.. all Kumbaya to the campers...but behind the scenes it's a different story.

I did write an email to the state animal welfare board, as I said.. but since I wasn't an eye witness I'm not sure if they will act on it.

I don't know much about the ACA etc, I just looked up how to file an animal welfare complaint and did that.

I'm disgusted too. Poor Stitchy.
    Last edited by La Gringa; Jul. 7, 2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Removing camp name
    One of a Kind Studio