The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Why are spurs required?

Why are spurs required in intermediate and advanced level dressage tests? Im assuming at that high of a level, riders would be able to decide what is best for their horse (maybe an ULTRA sensitive OTTB would do better without them)

It's also worth assuming that a rider competing at that level is capable of using the leg without the spurs, and that the horse is sufficiently well schooled to cope with them. It does allow for shank-less spurs/nubs.

I agree it's kind of archaic, but nobody I've seen riding WELL at this level is incapable of wearing spurs and using them (or not using them) appropriately.
    Click here before you buy.

Probably something to do with upper level dressage rules. Gloves and spurs - an old timer once told me "a rider is not dressed without gloves and spurs." Symbolic of achievement I suppose.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Aren't spurs considered to be something of a more refined aid than even the leg, used for very subtle 'tweaks' in the same way that the curb bit of a double bridle comes into play not as a stopping mechanism, but simply to add a little something to the communication possible with a snaffle.

Kind of like if you play a piece on a piano using only the white keys vs. one using the white and black keys - both might sound nice, but the one using more keys has more room for slight variations on a theme because you can use half-steps between notes and things of that nature to play around with the overall effect of the music.

Quote Originally Posted by kdow View Post
    Aren't spurs considered to be something of a more refined aid than even the leg, used for very subtle 'tweaks' in the same way that the curb bit of a double bridle comes into play not as a stopping mechanism, but simply to add a little something to the communication possible with a snaffle.

Kind of like if you play a piece on a piano using only the white keys vs. one using the white and black keys - both might sound nice, but the one using more keys has more room for slight variations on a theme because you can use half-steps between notes and things of that nature to play around with the overall effect of the music.
    I totally agree with this. Great post!
    Always pay equal, if not more, attention to your own self carriage, than that of your horse.

Tradition. That's all really. A correctly dressed and turned out rider wears spurs (and gloves and a white stock, light breeches (not white unless you are a male hunt servant), long boots and carries a whip). Why we no longer carry whips but still have to wear spurs is really weird - but I think it is something to do with the whip being more visible and a symbol of punishment and cruelty to spectators whereas its much harder to see spurs.

Be thankful we are now allowed to wear shankless spurs. I competed for many years on very sensitive horses who would have been better off without spurs all together, but still had to use them, and untill a few years ago, they still had to have a shank.

Because it's a stupid FEI rule.

Default Why are spurs required

I wonder what Swizzle Stick has to say about this?
    tulkas

Quote Originally Posted by flutie1 View Post
    Because it's a stupid FEI rule.
    Driving is worse brown reins, brown gloves. . . apron, lamps, points off on presentation for a marathon carriage. . . but it is fun buying all the little gadgets!