The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do your event horses compete in other disciplines during the event season?

I've been thinking about doing so Working Hunter stuff with Rue. It would be a nice break for us, and would help his show jumping, I think.

I'm worried that it might back him off on XC though. He is naturally quite bold, but needs a bit of sending on out on XC in the first couple of events of the season.

If you do compete in other disciples, what do you do and how does it affect your horses?

Thanks!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I don't have time anymore to more than the odd jumper/ dressage show or hunter pace, but as a kid I did everything (via pony club and a mom who had done hunters)--games and polocrosse and horse shows and foxhunted and tetrathalon and stuff. It wasn't really a big deal, although most of my ponies/ horses were better at some things than others. You can definitely make a hot horse too hot, but I don't know that doing hunters will back off a quiet one, unless you really ride him backward.

since both I and my horses have a history of being dressage challenged, definitely dressage shows and with the greener horses definitely jumpers as well. I've never had one that wouldn't make a cat laugh in the hunters, so haven't done that, but wouldn't be averse to it, good opportunity to practice rhythm and my pathetic equitation.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Kelly (Bonnie's mom) went back to her jumper roots on occasion, and I hunted her a few times.

Gwennie and I did a H/J show right before she got sick, did the 2nd Year Green Hunters, level 3 or 4 (?) jumpers, AND an equitation class! Nice ribbons in all of them, too.

Bonnie's done some dressage shows, we had to miss our 2nd level debut show but she was right there. She also has gone to the IDHSNA breed show a couple of times and done a little bit of everything there, including in-hand classes and a Calcutta jumper class.

Keebler is counting his lucky STARS that I missed the deadline for a late July dressage show by one day.
    Click here before you buy.

In my barn most everyone both events and does dressage. My 5 year old is mainly a lower-level dressage horse at this point for me and my trainer--he will go to five dressage shows this year--but my trainer plans to take him to his first events this summer as well. I'd like him to be as well-rounded as possible.

I think the jumping and legging up on the trail has made him more sure footed and improved his canter as well.

I did a 25 mile endurance ride last year, 3 weeks after an event. It was great cross training for my horse. I also do jumper shows to help improve stadium, and hope to do some dressage shows this year.

So far this season I have done Eventing/ Combine training, open/4 H shows and H/J shows. I get bored doing one thing too often.

We will do the occasional jumper show or dressage show, but because we keep a pretty busy event schedule (we were at an event every weekend in June with some combination of horses and riders), we don't do THAT much. We have a few jumper or dressage venues that we like, so will often hit them up when they work into the eventing schedule.

When I first started eventing, I was in an eventing poor area, so I did local level hunters and the occasional jumper show to satisfy my competition bug.

Thanks everyone! Our working hunters are quite like your hunter derbies- ridden quite forward, over natural looking jumps.

Can't hurt to give it a try, I guess.

I still love summer time because historically its that time of year where I did jumper shows. When I schooled at home or with my trainer we worked more on jumper protocols and a better base of flatwork that stressed quicker changes from lengthen to shorten and turning off the aids and less off the reins.

Also for some bizarre reason summer was the time where I (used to be) more courageous. I would school over 4'6" - 5'3" without blinking an eye. And in turn those overly huge fences ended up making later move ups in eventing feel like nothing. The jump from Training (3'3") to Prelim at 3'7" felt inconsequential as it was still 11"(!) below what I had schooled in the heat.

Later on (late 90's) I got challenged to do a hunter show in the summer and I realized how friggin hard hunters done right can be. So I do enjoy the challenge to work on the more seamless transition and steady pace that is so prevalent in the hunters and so lacking in eventing. I didn't win a lot, ok I didn't win at all. But I learned tons and would readily welcome a hunter show at any point with my horses. Its really fun to step outside the event framework and try other things. Team penning was the absolute best, but I highly suggest taking something smaller than 17 hands!!!! Put it this way, the turning radius of a younger cow is a lot tighter than that of a 17 hand long backed TB!!

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Jumper Shows. At a recent event it paid off big time when we went double clear in stadium. We were the only pair to do so. Plus it's fun, and you can make some money.

We do jumper shows (and the occasional hunter show) during the season to work on my showjumping issues...and this year, we're taking a 6 week break from eventing in the heat of the summer to concentrate on jumpers while the ground is so awful...and we're actually having a great time!
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

We only have shows (besides the odd indoor one) from April-October due to the weather. Although my first planned event was the last weekend in may and it was cancelled because of snow!! (lots of it, we had to drive all the way home in 4x4)

It feels like I am at something each weekend! This past weekend it was a dressage schooling show. But we've done 3 H/J shows and 2 Derbies (one was a make up from the cancelled event) as well.

I did team penning with my prelim. horse , but I guess you're wanting to know what else to do that would actually benefit your event horse

Seriously, all good suggestions above. Any time I can at least get mine out trail riding I think that's beneficial.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Within a four week period around competing at young riders (in eventing of course) my horse and I were high point jr/yr at a dressage show competing at 2nd level and 1.20m (3'11") division champion at a jumper show. And I proudly share that my horse was one of three horses out of both eventing divisions to showjump clean on sunday!

Did we lose posts? Maybe I'm cracking up....

I think I'll give it a try.There's a low level show coming up in a few weeks. Should be fun.

occasional foxhunting and more intense dressage in the winter

hunter paces along with events in spring- lighter dressage

events and a few hunter derbies or local hunter/jumper shows in summer to stay "clean" over fences- more breaks/time off during the really hot weather and lots of swimming with occasional dressage lessons (1x per month)

events/competitions in the fall with trails/hunter paces/cubbing/hound walking as a reward for her working hard- she LOVES this stuff and would rather not be in a ring at all!

*disclaimer- we do not compete/event at a high level, so we can do all this without her being overworked
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

My guy has dabbled in the Open shows in the Halter and Showmanship classes... good for me as I am the county 4-H Horse club leader and need to help kids at the open shows and I was bored not having a horse to show myself. We also do the Hunters and Jumpers at the QH shows. I have even been known to sneak onto the trail obstacles but haven't shown trail yet at the open shows.

My Paint mare growing up did it all......we evented, showed heavily in the Paints winning tons of all-arounds, play dayed, trail rode, roped... you name it. I am a big big believer in they can do it all if we just take the time to train them.

Bobbi

If i had an unlimited competition budget and no husband, I'd definitely do dressage and jumpers once in a while...

but...

I stick to schooling shows and just do it to fill in the "gaps" -- so I'll do a short course (dressage and combined sj/xc), a combined test schooling show, and sometimes a summer jumper schooling show -- anything cheap and local.

I keep meaning to hunter pace but never quite get around to this...

but I will say that in the winter, it's their down time. They get ridden 5-6 days a week and we work on our skills, but they don't show and they don't do serious conditioning. I figure a break is good for them!
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

I'll do some local jumper and dressage shows during the season just to keep us sharp. That and lots of trail riding, my mare goes western and english so very versatile. And because our trail rides generally consist of scaling mountains, her cardio gets a good workout as well.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert