The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can you delay ovulation with Reguumate?

Since it's the Fourth of July Holiday weekend, wouldn't you know I had a call today from WY with a mare with a 39 follicle. I didn't get any more info as to softness, etc....It will be Wed. late afternoon before Fed Ex can get there. She;s too far from an airport to make a Delta Dash work.

I had another vet earlier this year mention giving a mare regumate to delay or slow down her ovulation until the semen could get there......first time I'd heard of that!

Does it work, or do you risk upsetting the normal progression, and thus messing up hormones for the next possible go around???

Anyone know.....Kathy, are you there????? I need to collect soon, so let me know. The owner is trying to get some answers before spending the m oney on the collection and shipment (at my suggestion)
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Sometimes it'll work Double dose. I usually only use it when the Equitainer is lost somewhere as a last resort

We have had success doing that the one time we tried - stallion was shipping home and not there yet and mare was moving right along. We did 15cc for two days and it surely did slow her down, enough to get her bred and she checked in foal at 14 days. Good luck!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by florida foxhunter View Post
    Since it's the Fourth of July Holiday weekend, wouldn't you know I had a call today from WY with a mare with a 39 follicle. I didn't get any more info as to softness, etc....It will be Wed. late afternoon before Fed Ex can get there. She;s too far from an airport to make a Delta Dash work.

I had another vet earlier this year mention giving a mare regumate to delay or slow down her ovulation until the semen could get there......first time I'd heard of that!

Does it work, or do you risk upsetting the normal progression, and thus messing up hormones for the next possible go around???

Anyone know.....Kathy, are you there????? I need to collect soon, so let me know. The owner is trying to get some answers before spending the m oney on the collection and shipment (at my suggestion)
    Yes, you "can" but it's not reliable. Anytime you give a hormone you run the risk of "messing up" the normal progression of things. It shouldn't upset things for the next go round, however. And the chance of it working is directly proportionate to how important it is that it "does" work Murphy's Law in full force and effect...affect???...I ALWAYS get those two confused ! Good luck!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Thanks all.....we shipped and luckily the mare held her follicle and was a 48 when the semen arrived! I don't think the vet did the Regumate afterall......but it's a good thing to have 'in your back pocket" in case of an emegency! We're keeping our fingers crossed for this lovely eventing mare far away in Wyoming!! the "express delivery" (befor 10 am) never gets there till 4:30 pm!!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428