The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Default Spinoff.. if you are having trouble staying awake...

For all my fellow shift workers out there, if you are having trouble staying awake for the drive home, or don't sleep good prior to your shift and like me have 12 long hours at night ahead of you I have found a wonderful drug to help.

My Dr recently prescribed for me Provigil. It is a Godsend. I especially love it when I flip from nights to days on my days off. About 15 min after I take it I feel like I have had a nice long nap. No jitteryness, no heart racing, just much more alert. And you can still fall asleep easily on it if say you take it 4 hrs before your shift ends to get you over the hump. It is a wonderful thing.

Just thought I would help out any of my fellow night shifters that may sometimes need a boost that coffee and red bull doesn't help.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

My Dr gave me a small supply of Provigil when he thought I had narcolepsy (sleeping 15 hours a day, falling asleep in class, falling asleep anywhere). Maybe it had more of an effect on me? I took one like in the afternoon and was easily awake till 2am maybe it was just the atmosphere of the party I was at that night kept me up. Without it I would've never been able to be awake at that hour. I don't know I took it one of two other times and I just felt too hyped up on it. Maybe it's just because I'm pretty little? I can't remember what the dosage was like.

Now I get B-12 shots which have been great. Now I sleep 7-10 hours a night and am mostly alert. I still get tired sometimes, but I don't fall asleep at random times throughout the day. I still can't give them to myself, just can't do it, but they really don't hurt at all.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Oh I can stay up a long time if I want but I have been able to lay down and sleep too. I don't feel amped just awake.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!