The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    alter_alter_bo_balter Guest

Exclamation neighbors fireworks vs animals... call the police?

Would you call the police if a nasty neighbor with a history of drunken 4th of july parties & illegal fireworks starts setting off another big display? I came home to find 10+ cars in his little driveway. He likes to invite his buddies over to watch a large illegal display... I guess he feels popular. But because he's got a tiny <2 acre narrow lot, he shoots them in the air across the neighborhood. I spend the 5th of July morning after these parties picking up all the debris out of the horses' area & my lawn.

Would you call the police?

I know this upsets the horses. They get somewhat used to it, but because he aims them over the open area on the lane (my pasture) they get a little scared with explosions happening over their head. I few years back he had a huge party, which drove an old crippled QH mare I had into a frenzy and she tripped and fell a few times. I went over to there and tried to reason with him. He said he understood. As soon as I was back on my front steps, he was setting off more just over the roof of my home & even more into my fields, to prove a point I suppose. Calls to the police over the next few hours got me absolutely nowhere - it was as if I was bothering them, as my home's roof was being covered with glowing embers.

If I didn't have the horses or dogs, I could just go out to a movie and come back late. But now I am worried about my animals. Do I stay home and try to watch the horses in the dark? Or, if we assume they'll become desensitized, would it be selfish of me to preserve my own sanity and go out for a few hours?

Does anyone here know of a horse definitely hurt by a neighbor's fireworks? If so, did you have any luck having them pay for vet bills?

Who should pick up the debris from a long fireworks show? Why should I do it?

Did anyone here report a neighbor for dangerous & illegal fireworks? If so, would the police tell them who called it in?

Why are people so selfish?! There is am AMAZING display done by the town nearby, done over the beautiful water. Why can't he go there?

Put the horses in the barn. Pick up the mess tomorrow and dump it back where it came from, together with a bill for the cleanup. It's not like you don't know it's going to happen, so make enquiries at the local sheriff's office next year, ahead of the event.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

It's terrible how insensitive people can be. If there are embers coming down over your house/field, though, I wouldn't leave. I'd put the horses in, but stick around JUST in case something ignites, especially with a barn on the premises. It sounds like calling the police won't get you much, except for more aggravation. Sorry you have to deal with this.
    Dapplebay - home of original equestrian clothing and accessories.

I would not waste my time calling the police. If there truly were glowing embers on the roof I would consider calling the fire dept via 911. They can consult with the police upon arrival if warranted. Ironically enough I am sitting on the bumper of a fire truck as we speak.

A few years ago I was hacking Ted about the property when someone from the property next door shot off a bottle rocket. I am certain they aimed it directly for us, since they could see us, and had they shot it off in any other direction in would have landed on their property. I heard it, saw it, and thought, this is the end of my life. Thank goodness it was a dud.

But I live in Missouri, where, outside of the city, you can't drive for 5 miles without passing by a huge tent selling fireworks - buy 1, get 6 free.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

There is something he holds dear. Find out what it is. Then find a way to get to it.
    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

There was a discussion on my hometown newspaper's website about fireworks. One guy says he gets socked yearly by idiot neighbors who don't give a $h!t if his animals get scared or his roof is covered in embers. His solution?

The morning of the 5th, he gets up at 5 am and starts mowing his lawn, weed-whacking the edges, getting EVERY piece of loose grass off with his leafblower set on HIGH, prunes shrubs and trees with an electric saw, then bangs metal trash containers around while carefully collecting every little bit of waste.

All accomplished to a blaring radio, of course.

He says the hungover neighbors stopped and desisted after only a couple of times.

I bet you could think of something like this.

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

I'm right now hoping these stupid *******s burn their own damn house down. That would make me happy.

I called the police a few years back when a nearby recently moved in neighbor had some fireworks that were literally thunder-boomers. He wasn't a drunk but he did have an attitude about things and the one time I tried to discuss it politely with him, he was quite hostile and said he was in the country and could do anything he pleased on his land (he owned 1.5 acres). Not only were my horses shaking in their stalls, but my dog was about to have a stroke so out of desperation I called the police. They were there in a flash, went over and talked to him and informed him that if anything happened to my livestock thru his use of illegal fireworks, he could be held liable. I have not had any problems with him since then - he greatly toned the fireworks down and even had a decent conversation with my husband. So yes, if you have exhausted other efforts, police may be your only alternative.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I would call the fire department. ESPECIALLY if there's a burn ban or dry conditions. I mean, to be honest, my dog doesn't like fireworks but that is my lookout. But setting people's stuff on fire is against the law.

I am just now back in the house from standing with my horses, using clicker training to keep Her Large Chestnut Self from running with each explosion.

The person who sets them off is not in my immediate neighborhood -- in fact, he is on the other side of a tree line and I'm not sure which house is the source. So I can't call the police to complain. And given all the problems the county police usually have on the 4th, I would not bother them from something that was not a direct threat.

Since these fireworks are not right on top of the horses, they are getting used to them and the clicker training is speeding the process. By the end they were looky but not moving, since moving meant leaving me and the possibility of more treats.

I have found that leaving them out in a small paddock works best. They feel less trapped and can burn off the adrenaline. They also can see what is happening and seem less stressed when they learn that the lights are not coming any closer.

That said, I do like the 5th of July early morning clean up tactic ....

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

[quote=ShotenStar;4960905]
    The person who sets them off is not in my immediate neighborhood -- in fact, he is on the other side of a tree line and I'm not sure which house is the source. So I can't call the police to complain. And given all the problems the county police usually have on the 4th, I would not bother them from something that was not a direct threat.

[quote]

I agree - when they're that far removed from you, you just have to handle it as best you can. My problem neighbor was about 200 feet from my barn and house and the horses could actually feel the vibrations. I have no idea what kind of fireworks he had but I've never seen or heard anything like them. My horses actually don't care about distant fireworks but this was just too close to home for them.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Nothing helpful to add here. I live less than a mile from the Tulalip reservaton, so my neighborhood currently sounds like a war zone. (My dad is a WWII veteran, and he has confirmed this.)

I am glad my barn is smack in the middle of my 5 acres. Dogs are tranquilized, and horses are holding up well.

A lady I got one of my mares from lost a weanling due to the neighbours fireworks. She spent a fortune just trying to get the mare pregnant and was successful after years of trying..only to have the resulting filly run through a bunch of fences when the idiot neighbour decided to have a fireworks demo.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Find out your local laws regarding fireworks. If they are illegal - call the police!

I had problems for many years and just did my best with it. After a mare lost her foal on July 5th one year, I had a good conversation with the local police. When the fireworks started going off the next year I called the emergency number and they came out. The fireworks were confiscated and the minor was reprimanded (in front of his mother). When the officer stopped by to let me know this, another one of my neighbors set off a much bigger display. It was almost funny standing in my driveway watching it with the police officer. He dealt with them as well.

This year there were no fireworks in my neighborhood!!
    www.clearbluefarm.com - a work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by tikihorse2 View Post
    There was a discussion on my hometown newspaper's website about fireworks. One guy says he gets socked yearly by idiot neighbors who don't give a $h!t if his animals get scared or his roof is covered in embers. His solution?

The morning of the 5th, he gets up at 5 am and starts mowing his lawn, weed-whacking the edges, getting EVERY piece of loose grass off with his leafblower set on HIGH, prunes shrubs and trees with an electric saw, then bangs metal trash containers around while carefully collecting every little bit of waste.

All accomplished to a blaring radio, of course.

He says the hungover neighbors stopped and desisted after only a couple of times.

I bet you could think of something like this.

Kim
    Yes-I like THIS! idea
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart

i live where most fireworks are illegal, but that never stops the rednecks around here. However, most of them are amazingly polite enough to give me a heads up so I can put the horses up.
    Last night some newer neighbors were setting them off , big ones, in their front yard which is right across the street from my pasture. Asking nicely for them to stop just until we caught horses and put them up got us nowhere, they may have thought we were telling them stop for good. i get it, people want to have fun and all that, I try to be reasonable.
    So called the cops, and they were actually a big help(this cop does not think highly of the local trash).
    Since my concern is for my animals, i also don't want to piss off said neighbors since people can do nasty things like set them free or shoot them, so we made "nice" with the cop there, my horses were safely put up and the rednecks got to do their fireworks, all were happy. I don't like the kind of people who live out here in the boonies and YES, i WOULD MOVE IN A HEARTBEAT AND WANT TO AS SOON AS i CAN AFFORD IT, but I don't want to have any bad blood with my neighbors even if I don't like them. The cop said if we get lucky they will burn down their house, but it looks to have survived the night! Thankfully these neighbors do not own the house and will be gone in a year when the owner returns home.

If fireworks are illegal then it's OK to call the cops.

Actions, however, have consequences. Do you really want to start a 364 day feud with a near neighbor over events on one day? I don't have an answer, only a question.

We gun break our horses for Cowboy Mounted Shooting and military competitions. We've no problems with fireworks. Which is a Good Thing 'cause they are legal here. We also have a fair amount of hunting in season; that doesn't worry the horses either. So maybe the better practice is acclimatizing the horses rather than double dog damning all those "cretins" who do things that frighten poor, old Clomper.

Put another way, horse owners have a duty to prepare their horses for the world; the world has no duty to conform itself to anyone's horses.

G.

guilherme, I don't agree with you. When fireworks disturb my peace, then I have a problem. Its not my responsibility to desensitize my horses on my property for something that is disturbing the peace. Its a good idea, but I am sorry, some animals just cannot be desensitized to all situations.

I have gone over and face to face explained to my neighbor about the impact his actions have on me. Like I could be killed or injured, and I would be coming after him for the damages, etc. We agreed, he could do this, if he called and let me know so I would be out of harms way. He does guns, cannons and fireworks about 6 times a year. I own 25 acres, he lives on half an acre, which I think is kind of funny.

Only once did I call the cops, and that was because he didn't call me. We have a good understanding, and I was invited to watch the fireworks yesterday when he called, but declined politely. We actually have a good relationship. Sometimes I think they just don't understand the impact.
    Now, I am a single woman, so in the past, some of these guys think what a bitch. But, you know what, I don't care. I explain the reason why I would appreciate a call, and then go on to explain what it does to the horses, dogs, etc.

As I said in another thread, my other neighbor now is doing a display, and the horses had a hard time with that side of the farm being boomed and banged and the light show, but were fine with my neighbor who does it often!

I have also asked for them to aim them in the opposite direction, instead of the woods between us.

I guess I suggest speaking clearly, explaining the impact, and the consequences.

Additionally, if they are newbies to the area and you are an old timer or known in town, the police will respond very differently. So, get to know your police department before the problem.

Also, be polite, not threatening. I have been neighbors with my neighbor for 20 years, and I would say it took 10 for him to 'get it'. I am not stopping him, just asking for a heads up. I do ask him to avoid the whistler type, as that really freaks them out, but the booms are ok.

I agree fivehorses - I have Saddlebreds that I parade with and they are well accustomed to a lot of noise, sirens and mumbo jumbo. Some of them were started with the old-time training styles that involved use of firecrackers although I don't subscribe to that method much. We even have our state championship during a fair that shoots off loud volleys of fireworks every night and they manage to get thru that too. But...they are not prepared to brace thru thunder boomers while in their own stalls or paddocks when those fireworks are within a stone's throw. The only way I know of to prepare for that is to do my own fireworks night after night until they finally accept them as commonplace. I think by then my neighbors would run ME out of town. Also, it's impossible to have every foal or young horse automatically be prepped for certain things. There comes a time when you need to simply stand up to neighbors and not let them bully everyone around them.
    Susan N.