The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Favorite Childhood Book?

I know someone in the currently reading thread is reading Phantom Toolbooth, which s/he loved as a child so what's your favorite book from childhood?

I think mine is Mr. Popper's Penguins. I love penguins and thought it would be so cool to have them live with me
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Oh my goodness... Phantom Tollbooth is a great one. I should get a copy.

There's a lot of classic kid lit that I still love, but dearest to my heart are all the Roald Dahl books. Bridge to Terabithia and Maniac Magee still have spots on my shelf as well.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Laura Ingalls Wilder. I have the whole set from childhood and still pull them out and re-read them every so often.

I read Mr. Popper's Penguins when my daughter was young.
    My favorite books
    Winnie the Pooh
    Doctor Doolittle
    Harriet the Spy

A Little Princess.

Phantom Tollbooth was a good one.

Charlotte's Web was always one of my very favorites.

All of the Dr. Suess books!! I still have them all and some of my favorite memories are of my dad reading them to me at bed time. He wrote little notes in them and now that he is gone they are some of my most treasured possessions.

Goodnight Moon when I was really, really little was one of my favorites for my mom to read to me.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

www.sararoxannephotography.com
    www.facebook.com/sararoxannephotography

Harriet the Spy
    Where the Wild Things Go
    any of the Thoroughbred series!!!

Great thread!
    I loved Mr. Popper's Penguins too!
    I couldn't even begin to remember all my favorites, especially all the ones from when I was really little.
    Let's see...
    Corduroy
    Curious George
    the Jesse Bear books
    the Berenstain Bears books
    the Little Critter books
    Dr. Seuss of course
    Clifford
    Yup all the usual subjects I guess
    Then of course I read all the Pony Pals books, then the Saddle Club Books, and then the Thoroughbred books. It's funny to think about how back when I was reading those books I would've been ecstatic to have any ol' horse, even just an old one that could live in my backyard and then we could go play together with my friends. Isn't it funny how low your horsey expectations were back then?

I'm positive I've left out a million more books that I probably read at least a few times in my childhood. I read a ridiculous amount, and how nice it was to always be able to read what you wanted instead of what all your university professors assign!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I never had any favorite "child" books. I was reading at an almost adult level by the time I reached middle-school. I used to spend hours in Crown Books and the library looking for things that would interest me.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I never had any favorite "child" books. I was reading at an almost adult level by the time I reached middle-school. I used to spend hours in Crown Books and the library looking for things that would interest me.
    Like plumbing manuals?

Advanced reading skills shouldn't preclude one from enjoying kid lit. Heck, I still read the local paper, which I'm quite certain is written by dyslexic lemurs with severe drug addictions, and wrangle some enjoyment out of it.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

All this reminiscing made me go skim through the TB series, Saddle Club, and Pony Pals on Amazon. Just skimming through looking at the covers, those images on the covers bring back soo many memories! I must've spent so many hours with those books. Unfortunately I have a feeling my grandmother threw out most of the many that I had. We are opposites: she likes to throw things out and I like to keep things!

Gosh, where to begin! One of the best things about having children is that I am reading all of my old favorite books to them.

Phantom Toll Booth!
    Narnia series
    Wizard of Oz series (only the L. Frank Baum books)
    Little House on the Prairie series
    The Great Brain series
    The Hobbit
    The City Boy
    Black Beauty (read that one over and over and over and over )
    101 Dalmations (before Disney killed it )

I also loved the Black Stallion series and anything by Marguerite Henry, but since my children aren't interested in horses, I'm not reading those.

I can't wait to mine this thread for new reading material for the wee ones! Although, some of the newer authors offer up some GREAT stuff!

Cornelia Funke
    Paul Stewart and Whatsihisname Riddell
    JK Rowling

I love books.

I forgot all about the Little House on the Prairie books! My grandma had the whole series and I would always read them when I spent the night at her house.

I also loved When You Give a Moose a Muffin
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Alexander and the No Good, Very Bad Day. We passed it around my family as adults, depending on how each member's lives were going at the moment.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

The Digginist Dog
    Chronicals of Narnia
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

My dream job is to open up a children's bookstore... someday... I absolutely love children's lit. My fave book is The Little Prince... I have a line from it tattooed around my ankle, along with some of the illustrations.

My other favourite remembered books:
    Dr. Seuss, especially The Lorax
    Anne of Green Gables/Emily of New Moon
    Where The Wild Things Are
    The Velveteen Rabbit
    The Hobbit (remember my dad reading me a chapter before bedtime every night when I was in second grade)
    Nancy Drew

And obviously any horse book I could get my hands on...

i read CONSTANTLY as a child. my mother would routinely yell at me for reading instead of going outside to play like a normal kid. i have so many fond memories of the books i read!

Chronicles of Narnia (changed my life.. and i STILL read them over and over as an adult!)
    Brige to Terabithia
    Phantom Tollbooth
    Shell Silverstein poems (Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic)
    Redwall series
    King Arthur
    Black Beauty
    the Wrinkle in Time series, and the Austins series by Madeline L'Engle.. another author i still enjoy immensely now that i'm grown up!

good stuff!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Anything by Roald Dahl. The BFG was a particular favorite

I also really loved The Trumpet of the Swan by EB White. I borrowed a copy so much in third grade that my teacher went out and got me my very own new copy

I love children's books, and still have a whole shelf of old favorites. And of course the entire Harry Potter series, which made me very happy even as an adult.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I loved "The Missing Piece" and "Ferdinand the Bull" the most. Another I used to have great memories of, but could never remember the name is a book my mom pulled out and gave me and I love it still, it was called "A great big ugly man came up and tied his horse to me"
    The illustrations in this book are so amazing, I want to frame them and put them on the wall
    http://www.amazon.com/Great-Ugly-Cam.../dp/0316852813

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post
    Like plumbing manuals?

Advanced reading skills shouldn't preclude one from enjoying kid lit.

I agree. I was reading at a 10th grade reading level in the 3rd grade... I actually got a C in reading first quarter that year because I read too fast and would get ahead. As in, read the entire book the day the teacher gave it to us. She would get soooo mad!

While I did read some more advanced books, I mostly used my reading skills to inhale kid-level books. I once won a school wide reading contest for reading 47 books in a month. I was a weekly visitor to the library and would check out so many books my mom would have to help me carry them.

My favs were definitely...

- The Phantom Tollbooth (I'm the one rereading it right now, and it's still just as wonderful )
    - The Giver
    - Watership Down

Mostly I liked anything that's clever (a la the Phantom Tollbooth) or dystopian (a la Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World...). Still do.

And then, of course, a plethora of horsey related books (the Thoroughbred series, Beauty, the Red Pony, all horsey nonfiction, Tic Tac, etc etc).