The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Some good work, for the most part. Several things: in the changes, the rider is not changing her shoulder position as she goes from one lead to the other...which indicates that she is using too much hand to create these changes and not weighting the stirrups correctly to create the changes.

In addition, as she rides from piaffe to collected trot, the horse is trotting out too fast which again, indicates that the hold for the piaffe was coming from too much hand and not enough seat. Hence, the trot out was unbalanced to some degree as the release the rein hold allowed the horse to fall slightly on the forehand for the transition.

The reinback, and also some of the work in piaffe, was crooked. When the reinback is done, the rider needed to be weighting one of her stirrups more than the other in order to keep the diagonal straight as she moved rearward. When you are riding, you can feel this difference and weight the stirrups correctly to adjust for the crookedness. Then, on the transition that she asked to go back into forward motion, she kept the weight of her feet/legs on the forward edge of her stirrups (toes pointed to ground which the reinback needs by the way), instead of shifting the weight to the rear edge of her stirrups. This was part of the reason the horse hesitated to go forward into the transition.

Angel;
    correct in your observations, however, Col. Carde was trying to assist her in learning.
    What I found so interesting was the frame of the horse.
    www.hartetoharte.org
    Ask and allow, do not demand and force.

I really do hope that everyone will refuse to engage you in your troll like activities...

that horse is above the bit for a good part of the ride... not in the correct position.... but the head is NOT the "ride" the horse is active... and when teaching higher movements, you can't focus on everything and make everything perfect all at once.

I'm pretty sure, once this horse was more versed in the movements, it would be better schooled to keep his head and neck in a correct position, as he does while trotting in some of the video.

But really... to engage you further than this is a waste of board space.
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

I am not sure if the "troll" refers to me or not. I agree that during the first part of the tape, the horse is not coming through completely. This has to do with the rider not riding the horse up rather than the horse not being in the correct position per se. Would I like to see the horse more through? Yes. But, throughness is a product of straightness and a product of the rider being able to use the weight aids effective. This is not achieved by pulling the front end of the horse to the rider in some false frame.

This work was done without tension in the horse, and in a fashion that, over time, if the rider learns beter how to use her weight aids, will bring the horse into throughness. See how the horse continues to correctly chew the bit. Some of the throughness in the piaffe work near the end was quite good. If you look at the bit hanger of the bridle in this work, you will see that it is very close to vertical....as it should be through all the work. I would love to be able to see Col. Carde instruct, and so this video was a pleasure for me as I probably will never have any other opportunity than this. I suspect that this video was edited for time as well, so we are seeing parts of the beginning, parts of the middle, and parts of the end of the lesson.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Um, yeah, Angel--or Angle (can't make up my mind since you sound like a garage gnome). The absolute arrogance of your post without having a clue who the rider is amazes me.

Ignorance is bliss...only to the person speaking in ignorance.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Question Arrogance?

"The absolute arrogance of your post without having a clue who the rider is amazes me"

There as been nothing presumptuous in any of the posts regarding observations of these videos. Therefore, no arrogance has been shown.

If a rider is performing incorrectly so it is. Does not mean the rider is bad. We all have bad days and bad moments. We all make mistakes when riding.
    www.hartetoharte.org
    Ask and allow, do not demand and force.

Arrogance: An attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

I stand by what I said.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Quest52 View Post
    But really... to engage you further than this is a waste of board space.
    A lot of truth in this statement! I'm off to see the Wizard. (Maybe I should elucidate for the others--I'm off to look for someone else who hides behind curtains. )
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Dittos what Velvet said. I'm sure Kim would be very interested to learn from Angle how to "use her weight aids".

Wink

Or even to weight her stirrrups.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Loved it ! Thanks for posting that !

Um, yeah, Angel--or Angle (can't make up my mind since you sound like a garage gnome).
    Why is "Angel" a garage gnome for expressing her opinion? I don't know who Kim is either.

Didn't get the memo.

PS I have never heard of a 'garage gnome' before. Must be a lunar thing. Here we just have the garden gnomes.

Eggie,

I know you of all people can Google. Well, everything but "garage gnomes" will show up. There again, I am sure you're pretending more ignorance. You've been around here long enough!

I had the privilege of jump judging at Ships Quarters back when Kim was on The Gray Goose.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    Why is "Angel" a garage gnome for expressing her opinion? I don't know who Kim is either.

Didn't get the memo.

PS I have never heard of a 'garage gnome' before. Must be a lunar thing. Here we just have the garden gnomes.
    Kim Walnes is a former USET event rider, who competed The Grey Goose, a rogue Irish bred horse, she found there accidentally. She never got another horse to carry her to Advanced, and now apppears to working on her upper level dressage.

http://www.centralequine.com/article.aspx?id=192 This with only a little hype says it better than I.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

It really doesn't matter who the rider is. If you do not have permission to use the video for the purpose of tearing the rider down, then it is pretty bad form to do so.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Thanks for posting the video.

And for the unsolicited comments. . . People, it's a lesson for Christs sake! Get over yourself.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

What a lovely trainable mind that horse has - and a great deal of harmony and understanding between horse and rider. Lovely to see and a great example of taking what you have and making the most of it.
    Congratulations to all concerned.

lovely

Oh my gosh. I always LOVED watching Kim & The Goose. What an exciting horse & rider team. Wishing her mucho luck with this latest horse.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com