The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anybody else have trouble sleeping

I have trouble sleeping as it is 12:38 AM and I need to be up at 6:45 AM and I'm not asleep. I did just take my Ambien and Valerian Root, but, I get sick of almost never being able to sleep without an Ambien and even that isn't a sure thing. I will admit I have been doing ok lately. Anybody else

yep, and I'm sorry, it sucks.

I am taking Mirapex to deal w/ RLS that was keeping me awake, but the Mirapex alone makes me dizzy and nauseous, so I have to take Ambien on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsefaith View Post
    yep, and I'm sorry, it sucks.

I am taking Mirapex to deal w/ RLS that was keeping me awake, but the Mirapex alone makes me dizzy and nauseous, so I have to take Ambien on top of that.

Oh RLS yuck! How many hours of sleep do you manage a night?

Oh my, YES.

It has been an issue for me for quite some time.

I've tried everything but prescription meds. I used to do OK with valerian and magnesium before bed, but "outgrew" that. Melatonin (in large doses, small doses, taken occasionally, taken long term -- I tried it all) does the opposite for me and makes me WIDE WIDE WIDE awake. Like I can't even shut my eyes when I've taken it.

My WONDERFUL doctor has helped me deal with a number of issues, but has not come up with a solution for me on the sleep thing. I take Unisom sleep gels (well, the generic of those) to sleep. They work most of the time, and work a lot better than the Tylenol PM stuff (can't remember what just the sleep aid is called), as I think they metabolize faster than a hard pill. I just know that when I take those I don't have a sleep med hangover the next day.

I have not tried any of the prescription sleep meds, however.

But it is torture, and unless it's a problem you have, I think it's hard to understand.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    Oh my, YES.

It has been an issue for me for quite some time.

I've tried everything but prescription meds. I used to do OK with valerian and magnesium before bed, but "outgrew" that. Melatonin (in large doses, small doses, taken occasionally, taken long term -- I tried it all) does the opposite for me and makes me WIDE WIDE WIDE awake. Like I can't even shut my eyes when I've taken it.

My WONDERFUL doctor has helped me deal with a number of issues, but has not come up with a solution for me on the sleep thing. I take Unisom sleep gels (well, the generic of those) to sleep. They work most of the time, and work a lot better than the Tylenol PM stuff (can't remember what just the sleep aid is called), as I think they metabolize faster than a hard pill. I just know that when I take those I don't have a sleep med hangover the next day.

I have not tried any of the prescription sleep meds, however.

But it is torture, and unless it's a problem you have, I think it's hard to understand.

I think you will find the drug that is in both Tylenol PM and Unisom is diphenhydramine 25mg which is the same thing as Benadryl. The drug is an antihistime that is severely sedating. I have used that before and it makes me very drowsey but I find I get a hangover plus it makes me hungry. The antihistine also just dries my whole body out to much so I don't like that.

ya, the constant RLS is here now. I've always had it- just a night here and there, not a big deal...until this january when I fell ill with a virus and that launched an auto-immune attack that has changed so much of my life...one thing being the RLS- its constant, in my arms too.

I manage about 6-7 hours a night, with Ambien + Mirapex. And I've been able to cut my ambien dose in half and it still works.

I'm supposed to go to a sleep study in the next few weeks for them to monitor my periodic limb movement or whatever they call it- should be interesting, but i dont expect to be able to sleep in a weird place with wires connected to me. LOL

yep (it's 1am here)

My dr. gave me Trazadone because it's really cheap and not as addictive as other sleep Rx and it works ok. I've always had issues sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    yep (it's 1am here)

My dr. gave me Trazadone because it's really cheap and not as addictive as other sleep Rx and it works ok. I've always had issues sleeping.
    I took Elavil which is sort of like Trazadone and I was so drowsy for every minute of every day I can feel my Ambien no but just not quite enough to fall asleep.

I actually wake up pretty refreshed with the trazadone, not sleepy during the day either (unless I do something that would justifiably make me tired!)

I am on such a high dose of other meds I take that I just do not sleep without medication. I can go days and be so exhausted that I'm jealous of dead people, and still I just won't sleep. Ambien is the gold standard in my mind but unfortunately not a possibility for me. I'm just now feeling my current med kick in- I'm tired but angsty feeling. It's nice to hear of others who deal with this though...
    -Grace

Right now I'm waiting for the Restoril to kick in. I like this one because I can wake up and get going right away. It's always a last resort, though, because you can develop a tolerance for it very quickly.

I did try Trazodone. It works great - if I lived the kind of life that allowed me to sleep for 18 hours a day. A bit much.

But yeah, insomnia is awful. You keep trying to avoid looking at the clock, and at some point start getting angry that you can't sleep. At that point the battle truly is lost.

I actually wake up pretty refreshed with the trazadone, not sleepy during the day either (unless I do something that would justifiably make me tired!)
    Everyone reacts differently to medications, especially brain meds, but I get a terrible hangover if I take enough trazodone to make me sleep. On one notable occasion, doc upped my dose and I took it at 10. I woke up the next day, feeling like I had been hit by a truck, at 5:30 PM and had to call my riding coach and explain why I missed my lesson. I'm not sure she even believed me. He told me to keep it off and once I got used to it, it was better, but still never a really do-able med.
    -Grace

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
    Everyone reacts differently to medications, especially brain meds, but I get a terrible hangover if I take enough trazodone to make me sleep. On one notable occasion, dog upped my dose and I took it at 10. I woke up the next day, feeling like I had been hit by a truck, at 5:30 PM and had to call my riding coach and explain why I missed my lesson. I'm not sure she even believed me.
    Not making light of a serious situation, but the typo conjured up an image of a dog in a little white coat with a stethoscope and a prescription pad!

It's so interesting to me how some people do great with certain meds and others hate them! I had a terrible experience with trazadone. I got such awful dry mouth (which I've never had before) that I was having trouble breathing. I spent the entire night awake trying not to have an anxiety attack about my difficulty breathing.

I've struggled with sleeping for a looong time. I think it's very related to my anxiety issues. I still haven't found anything that really puts me to sleep. I've tried Ambian as well as a couple others. Anything that really puts me to sleep leaves me with an awful hangover the next day. If I'm really desperate for sleep, I'll take an Ambian. More often than not after taking an Ambian I stay awake feeling like I've just taken some kind of illegal recreation drug... NOT conducive to getting a decent night sleep!
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Yes. I have a miserable form of insomnia where I can certainly fall right asleep, but then wake up every hour.

Have used meds in the past. Probably need to look into something again.

It sucks driving in to work and already needing a nap.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I live with intense physical pain everyday, humidity, storms, rain, snow just intensify the pain. On my good days at night I can take 1-2 equate pain
    reliever pm's and do just fine on my bad days I take 3 and then have to pop
    a couple flexerils and a valuim to just get to sleep.

I have also found if you have physical pain do NOT sleep on a memory
    foam mattress or thoose tempropedic mattress's as theese types actually
    memorize your pain not allowing you to relax enough to sleep.

I have been having the worst time lately sleeping. I am dealing with some stressful stuff so I am sure it's that but I fall asleep and after about 3 hours, I am wide awake. I usually end up getting out of bed around 1 a.m. and going back to bed around 4:30 a.m. I haven't tried any medication yet but I considering it. It has certainly made me cranky I am an 8 hour a night type of person so not being able to sleep is torture!

I fall asleep before my head hits the pillow, sorry, but I can only sleep five hours.
    If I wake up in the night for something, I am a light sleeper, I go right back to sleep, but only for five hours, not a minute longer.

If I go sleep at 11pm, I am up, wide awake at 4am, so I try to read until 12am.

All my life, even as an infant, they tell me, I had that pattern and they are finding now that 5% of the people are like that.

As for true insomnia, maybe once or twice a year I may not be able to go to sleep and it is generally when too much is going on, or in pain from something, but that is rare.

There are sleep clinics around here.
    Those with sleep problems should go to see if they can help them.

Have you been tested for sleep apnea? Many have it and are not aware of it.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    But yeah, insomnia is awful. You keep trying to avoid looking at the clock, and at some point start getting angry that you can't sleep. At that point the battle truly is lost.
    I've suffered from it since I was about 15/16- it really sucks. I try not to take drugs as most of the sleep aids hit me really hard. Most of the time, I end up getting up and doing something for a little bit then trying again.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!