The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question need Sierra Nevada foothills property info

greetings all! Anybody live in N.California El Dorado County, Shingle Springs? Possibly found a horse property there BUT want to know everything about WEATHER and Horse related events such as competetions, clinics, Endurance, H/J, Dressage etc. Also, the availability of quality hay ( large quantities ) Also, what about riding on the BLM range? dangerous?? Thanks Yvonne

I live a little farther up by Grass Valley/Nevada City. It is cooler where I live but not too hot in Shingle Springs. You can buy large quantities of hay from growers in Yuba City, prices are half what they are at a feed store. Other hay comes from Oregon. With shut off of water to Central CA for the dumb fish the hay growers are almost all out of business; hay was really cheap from them. Riding on BLM is very nice, areas all over the foothills and sierras. Forests are great to ride in. I only trail ride and don't keep up with shows so can't help you there. I know there are some nice facilities for shows. Be sure and check out the water situation on the land you are looking at to purchase. Well or city makes a big difference. I have a well and underground springs so I have tons of water but some areas are rather dry and have bad wells. Good luck!

Smile N.CA

Big thanks ASB! I wondered about transporting hay from Idaho where it is really cheap??? Also, thanks for the info about water supply. Most properties I've found have wells and or within an irrigation district. My husband has good friends in the Penn Valley area. I found a mansion there I'd love to own, but first need to win the Big one ( powerball lottery ) )) Yvonne

I don't live there, but know the area. It's OK in the winter. It can get quite hot and dry in the summer. I find it way too dry to stay there long in the summer--it gives me nasty sinus headaches. It is a growing horse community, that and a little further into the valley. You're not too far from Rancho Murrieta and now the newer Starr vaughn facilities. Hay and horse stuff is much cheaper there than where I am. I'm sure with some looking around, you could find all of the hay you want. Apparently it is a bumper crop this year and is really cheap.