The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pre-menopause, ladies who have been there please check in!

I guess it's my time...

I'm 45 and my body has gone crazy along with what was left of my mind.

I have a doctor's appointment Tuesday but I am interested to hear from others who have already been through this or are currently going through this.

Besides what I got from the ever-great google, do you have any tips for me or advice on what to expect?
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

God, I wish I would hit menopause. After 38 years of periods, I'm really, really sick of them. And I'm now even more regular than I was as a young thang. Go figure. If any of you young whippersnappers need a period, I'm more than willing to give one of mine to you.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

I was put into instant menopause thanks to the radiation that killed my cancerous tumor. I had my last period at the end of September, 2008. I don't miss it in the slightest!!

The only physical things that happened to me were:

--2 months of extreme cramping (I assume "death throes") instead of my period

--Hot flashes, that were more like rolling heat waves at precisely 4 PM and 10 PM every day like clockwork for a few more months, then an occasional 10 PMer.

That was it, but of course, my case is very unusual.

I just had my first bone density scan. I still have awesome bones, despite the radiation to the pelvis, so I guess I can still fall off my horse
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

I am hesitant to say anything because you are all going to hate me. I went through it 10ish years ago - it was such a non-issue I don't remember. Never felt crazy or anything, no hot flashes that others speak of (not even a CLUE what they feel like), no problems of any kind. In fact, Ma Nature's 'gift' came one month and then nada, never had another. May you ALL have menopause like that.

I still maintain, however, if men needed sanitary products as well, they would be heavily subsidised if not out right free.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by EponaRoan View Post
    God, I wish I would hit menopause. After 38 years of periods, I'm really, really sick of them. And I'm now even more regular than I was as a young thang. Go figure. If any of you young whippersnappers need a period, I'm more than willing to give one of mine to you.
    I think I have you beat by 3 years and there is no end in sight. I could set a calendar by how regular I am. (I keep consoling myself with not having to worry about bone loss or cholesterol.)

Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Horse View Post
    I guess it's my time...

I'm 45 and my body has gone crazy along with what was left of my mind.

I have a doctor's appointment Tuesday but I am interested to hear from others who have already been through this or are currently going through this.

Besides what I got from the ever-great google, do you have any tips for me or advice on what to expect?
    If you are having really quality of life problems now or later, ask your Dr for a few months of a very low dose of HRT, hormone replacement therapy, to get you over the worst of it, if you are a candidate for it.
    May preserve your bladder control or later possible prolapses, if you don't drop hormones like a rock, but taper them off.
    There is much more than just your hormones involved, but every little bit may help.

Many women go thru menopause without hardly a glitch, I did, was not even under the care of a Dr, didn't need to, hardly noticed it.
    A few mild hot flashes here and there over a year and no problems.
    Several friends also didn't have any problems.
    Then, others had really terrible problems, so get thee to a good gynecologist and see whats up in your case.

At 48 I thought menopause was on it's way, as my body was doing odd things and smelled different. I went to the doctor and found out that I had a 17cm ovarian tumor. Needless to say the whole works were removed within 4 days and chemo followed. My body was SLAMMED in to menopause and it really wasn't that bad. If you know why your body is doing odd stuff, it isn't so terribly worrying. I got through it all without more chemical assistance, but you do need a sense of humour! Life is now more carefree.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

When I was approaching menopause, the time between my periods got shorter and my periods got longer. Then I had hot flashes at all hrs of the day or night. Sometimes they were so severe that my fingertips had beads of sweat on them. My sleep was limited to 45 minutes max, I'd wake up, have a hot flash, go back to bed for maybe 35 minutes and start all over again.

I may be stoned here but HRT (Prem-Pro) was fantastic! I was on a higher dose, cut it down to the lowest possible and for 13 yrs enjoyed life without hot flashes and mood swings as well as being able to get a good night's sleep. Then came a lumpectomy on my left breast and a partial massectomy on my rt breast. Fortunately no cancer at either but it did get me off Prem-Pro.

Now I still have hot flashes and it's probably been closer to 20 yrs since I started menopause and I expect I will have them till the day I die as my Mother did.

I'm taking an anti-epileptic drug that was found to help with hot flashes, Gabapentin, which doesn't eliminate the hot flashes but it does decrease the intensity and the number I get per day.

Some people are lucky and never have hot flashes and/or get over them in a reasonable pd of time. I hope you are one.

I still have mood swings as well but as long as I don't have to deal with idiots, I get on great with people. It's just that there are so damned many idiots out there!
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

I've had a lifelong problem with idiots; the menopause allowed more freedom of expression, when having to deal with them !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    I've had a lifelong problem with idiots; the menopause allowed more freedom of expression, when having to deal with them !
    Remember, as BuddyRoo used to say, "you can't fix stupid".
    I have found some lately and recommend that you take it easy, keep repeating yourself, even if they don't get it and don't let them get your goat, menopause or not.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    When I was approaching menopause, the time between my periods got shorter and my periods got longer. Then I had hot flashes at all hrs of the day or night. Sometimes they were so severe that my fingertips had beads of sweat on them. My sleep was limited to 45 minutes max, I'd wake up, have a hot flash, go back to bed for maybe 35 minutes and start all over again.

I may be stoned here but HRT (Prem-Pro) was fantastic! I was on a higher dose, cut it down to the lowest possible and for 13 yrs enjoyed life without hot flashes and mood swings as well as being able to get a good night's sleep. Then came a lumpectomy on my left breast and a partial massectomy on my rt breast. Fortunately no cancer at either but it did get me off Prem-Pro.

Now I still have hot flashes and it's probably been closer to 20 yrs since I started menopause and I expect I will have them till the day I die as my Mother did.

I'm taking an anti-epileptic drug that was found to help with hot flashes, Gabapentin, which doesn't eliminate the hot flashes but it does decrease the intensity and the number I get per day.

Some people are lucky and never have hot flashes and/or get over them in a reasonable pd of time. I hope you are one.

I still have mood swings as well but as long as I don't have to deal with idiots, I get on great with people. It's just that there are so damned many idiots out there!
    Oh, this sounds like what's going on with me maybe. I 've been thinking that was what it was. Longer time between periods. I get these intense hot flashes that leave my whole body drenched, and at night I get so wet I have to get up and change clothes a couple of times. They are followed by this bone chilling cold and then there is about 20 mintues until the next one at nightime. During the day I have a total of about 15. It is hard for me to sleep anyhow and hsa been for yrs because of my spine disease but this is taking me over the edge. I am 50. Guess I should make an appt somewhere. Maybe I should go to an endocrinologist since my diabetes is not under control either. Hum.

Thanks all...I appreciate the replies.

Yup, I've got hot flashes/night sweats, insomnia, irregular (freakishly long and too close together when I used to be like a clock) periods, CRANKY PANTS, depressed/paranoid, exhausted, hair loss and I had to get a better deodorant because apparently I now stink when I sweat (LOL!!) where before I was pretty odor-free.

I am going to the gyno on Tuesday. He can tell me if it's perimenopause or if I'm just bat$hit crazy!
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

The worst thing for me is the insomnia. I have always had terrible hormone swings, being incredibly irregular. Actually, I have been on Yaz for the past couple of years and that has controlled the hormone swings to a tolerable level. The insomnia however, is killing me.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I'm 45 and my periods were getting heavier and closer together; really icky.

Checked with gyno, obvious things like fibroids were ruled out, so, I had a uterine ablation. Out patient procedure, mild cramping that night, 95% back to normal following day, mild discharge for about a month and no more periods. Ever.

I go back for my 6-month followup in August and I am most curious to ask the obvious question. My periods have stopped, but does that mean I skip the rest of menopause??? I didn't lose the bits putting out the hormones, so will I still get hot flashes, mood swings, etc?

Most curious.

I think I'm working on the world's record for the longest menopause.

I was about 45 when I first started getting symptoms - in my case, hot flashes and periods getting farther apart (then closer together).

I'm turning 50 this year. For the past two years, I've had a period on my birthday. That's it.

The hot flashes come and go. I've just been through a couple of months' worth, but now, they've gone again.

Emotionally and mentally, though, I'm in better shape than I have been in years. I think this is different for some people - I have a couple of horse friends who got very depressed and anxious during menopause.

It's funny, but menopause has really helped my riding. Not because I no longer have cramps - I never did have those - but because I've got lots more 'tude than I used to. I was always kind of a timid rider before - now I'm learning to jump and starting to hunter pace (with the idea of visiting myself upon a real hunt next season sometime).

I would not dare do HRT. My mother, grandmother, and first cousin all had breast cancer (although they all survived it).
    I never rode a broke horse but then maybe I'm a sorry hand. - Ray Hunt

Get yourself a good fan to keep at your bedside. You're gonna need it.
    I'm hot all the time, and doubly worse when a hot flash occurs.

Night is the worst. We keep the C/A on, plus a fan blowing on myself. Then it's too cold, then it's too hot...and so on.

I noticed that once I hit mid life I started having anxiety and one panic attack. Went on Paxil to relieve that.

Tried Estrogen Therapy for the hot flashes and it was absolutely horrible!! Never in my life had I experienced the never ending flood like period!! I couldn't even leave the house.

Best thing you'll look forward to? NO more periods!!! Yay!!!!!!!! How nice it is to go somewhere, go riding, or on vacation and don't have to worry.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Gals, there is another thing about going thru menopause and that is that the hair on your legs and underarms decreases dramatically BUT most of it goes to your chin and upper lip! Very little shaving to do but a heck of a lot of plucking!
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Crooked Horse -- be sure and also have your thyroid levels checked.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I found that sports that made me sweat a lot (like hot yoga) helped with the hot flashes.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Gals, there is another thing about going thru menopause and that is that the hair on your legs and underarms decreases dramatically BUT most of it goes to your chin and upper lip! Very little shaving to do but a heck of a lot of plucking!
    Yes, yes and yes......
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!