The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sleep Number beds

Ok, I've ruled out the Tempurpedics thanks to Dressage Geek's thread.

Tell me about your Sleep Number beds.

I know they have dual controls which I do NOT want. Do they sell a full sized bed with just one control?

Will my current full sized sheet sets fit it?

How long do they last? I ask this because I think I remember somewhere reading you should get a new mattresses at least every 10 yrs.

Do you have to turn the mattress periodically like you should for standard mattresses?

Currently I have your 'normal' or 'standard' mattress and box spring.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Ok, I've ruled out the Tempurpedics thanks to Dressage Geek's thread.

Tell me about your Sleep Number beds.

I know they have dual controls which I do NOT want. Do they sell a full sized bed with just one control?

Will my current full sized sheet sets fit it?

How long do they last? I ask this because I think I remember somewhere reading you should get a new mattresses at least every 10 yrs.

Do you have to turn the mattress periodically like you should for standard mattresses?

Currently I have your 'normal' or 'standard' mattress and box spring.
    Yes to the first 2 questions - or at least they used to sell single control beds. I haven't looked lately. Normal sized sheets fit them fine.

I have two of them. One is 15 years old (I inherited it), the other is 9. I think they have a 20 year warranty.
    I don't flip them. They aren't solid like a Tempurpedic or a box spring - it's a whole bunch of pieces with foam inserts and air mattresses.
    The older one is a full with a single control, the other is a king with dual controls and a pillow top. My husband likes to pump up his side to concrete level. I like mine soft. I used to wake up every morning with back pain until I got this bed. I'll never buy another conventional mattress.
    I own some pretty nice furniture, but if I had to pick one piece to keep, it would be the bed!

We had one and hated it. For some reason it seemed like we always got rolled to the center of the bed. It was an expanded queen size. We got rid of it. Some friends had one too and after about two years they complained of the same problem. Maybe the single control is better.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    We had one and hated it. For some reason it seemed like we always got rolled to the center of the bed. It was an expanded queen size. We got rid of it. Some friends had one too and after about two years they complained of the same problem. Maybe the single control is better.
    +1

Hated ours. Gave it to my divorced mother after having it for about 2 years. She keeps both sides set the same, but still complains about the "black hole" sucking her into the middle.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I finally got to try one out, hoping it would be comfotable. I have arthritis in both shoulders and although it took me years to learn to fall asleep on my back, after I'm asleep I roll into my life-long side sleeping position and end up waking up constantly from being ouchy. So was hoping the Sleep Number could go soft enough.

Nope...trying it out in the store even at it's lowest number...all it did was make my butt sink in more. The shoulder area stayed too firm.

But, they did have single control beds at the Sleep Number store and that was 2-3 weeks or so ago. Looked like they would fit normal sheets to me. The pillow top ones probably would take deep pocket sheets, the regular mattress ones would take regular sheets from what I saw there.

They weren't uncomfy, just not squishy enough near the shoulders. So I stick with my soft-sided waterbed. Which is ridiculous comfy, just damned impossible to incorporate into any type of decor. It has a massive multi-legged frame because it has to support the weight of a waterbed but look like a traditional bed. (it's a mattress, hollowed out and long baffles are inside filled with water. You'd never know it was a waterbed unless you unzipped the mattress. You can fill each baffle to whatever firmness you want, doesn't require heating and doesn't make waves. But you can't really attach a headboard, footboard or side rails to that frame!)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I had to sleep on one for a week on a business trip at the hotel - hated it. No matter what setting I put it on, I could not find one that worked for me, and now if the hotel says they have sleep number beds, I won't stay there.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

DH and I have one and love it. We've had it for almost seven years. During that time, I've injured two disks in my back and it was a life-saver. You could not pay me to sleep on anything else.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Not a 'sleep number' but comfortaire bed here
    http://www.comfortaire.com/default.asp

Love it curently sleeping on futon as the controls somehow went into storage when we moved to our current location. My body is begging for its bed to come back...
    Unless things have changed in he lst 6 or 7 yrs since we go the comfortaire bed unlike sleep numbers that go down in increments of 5 comfortaires go down by 1's. And are cheeper in out of pocket costs.
    The one thing I do not like is hte center foam peice and the 'egg crate' foam they use. The center peice has smooshed and the egg crate foam on top of hte air thingies has torn. So will have to try to find a calf. king size peice of more durable foam. But other than that love it.
    Friend of bar .ka

Love our sleep number bed!!! I have neck problems and it's the only thing that helps!!! My whole family has sleep number beds plus a few other folks I know.

Love ours!!! Hubby and I both have back issues and it is a godsend to be able to adjust the firmness depending on how the back is feeling. I have traveling now because I have so much trouble sleeping on a normal mattress.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

LOVE mine. I've had it about 4 years. Wouldn't buy any other type of bed.
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

Love, love, love my sleep number bed! We have a King and its about 8 years old. I got it because I could not sleep on an inner spring mattress. I have pain in my hip and lower back that went away within a day or two of getting the sleep number bed. I go to bed every night thinking this is the best bed ever. I did put an extra 1.5" foam mattress topper on it along with a super comfy pillow top mattress pad. I am in sleep heaven! (especially after getting treatment for sleep apnea I am now sleeping all night long).

Meh.. We have a dual-control sleep number bed AND a tempur pedic. I prefer the latter.

Having said that, I believe the 'black hole' folks are referring to is the chamber that sits between the two mattresses, as it were. If you are in the habit of cuddling in the middle of the bed (ours is a queen- and yes, our regular sheets fit), it collapses this middle divider. If you disassemble the bed and re-establish that divider, I"m confident that hole will fluff or disappear altogether.

We've had ours about 5 yrs now.. it's nice enough. I keep my side on 75 (hard) and my husband keeps his at around 38 (sodamnedsoftyerasshitsthebottomsoft). Perhaps that is why I don't fall into the 'hole' either.. I'm simply higher than he is and it works out. Maybe if our settings more more alike I'd experience this problem.

Yes, 20 yr warrantee, and I see it actually lasting the duration, so long as the dogs don't scratch a hole in the mattress... for that reason I keep several bed pads on it. I also think the dual control makes more sense. But that's just me.