The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter/Jumper stallions - strong loin & solid hind end...

Looking ahead to next year - I'm searching for hunter / jumper stallions that have a strong loin & will not throw something tight behind...I have several of my own ideas but its always fun to see what the COTH breeders suggest Frozen is fine, out of the box suggestions are as well. If he wasn't too long-backed that would be nice, but as long as we are prepotent for a strong loin I'm willing to waiver on that. I do not want something that will throw something close behind & would like a stallion to help in that regard. I won't consider a horse with crapastic feet. I'm looking for an A/O (hunter) & up horse...I like strong jumper blood versus the dressage type suggestions - enough jump to get me out of an ehh spot when loping up to a 4' oxer - - because its bound to happen & if I expect it from the mare I expect it from the stud as well....This is a TB mare, but TB suggestions are welcome...Looking forward to the responses.

Would you consider an Irish Sport Horse?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

We are thrilled with what Cunningham (Cassini I x Contender) has put into the mix with our Alla 'Czar mare. You'll certainly get scope, power and a great temperament!
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    We are thrilled with what Cunningham (Cassini I x Contender) has put into the mix with our Alla 'Czar mare. You'll certainly get scope, power and a great temperament!
    Ditto here. I have 2 out of a TB (by John Alden) mare. Wonderful toplines, incredible loins. Cunningham's jumper lines (Cassini x Contender) and scope are IMO, impossible to beat.

Amazing has great jumping blood on both sides of his pedigree...Balou du Rouet on top, and Voltaire on the bottom. So far in his freejumping, he looks to have a tremendous amount of scope with fantastic form-he easily clears the top of the 5 foot standards. What I really like about him though, is that he is very short coupled with a strong hind end while still maintaining what I call the "supermodel" walk As far as feet go, he is 5 and in training and lives out for 12 hours a day all while still barefoot. I'm not a barefoot fanatic by any means, but if it's working, why change?

You can see pictures and video on the website...good luck in your search!
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

I'm a Cunningham 'fan' if you will...he is at the top of my list, he actually was for this fillies dam but I thought the next generation would be a better nick...fish - you have a couple - they don't travel too close behind, do they?

What about that grey Livello - he looks like a pleasure to ride - and how about the loin & hock prepotency on Voltaire / Popeye K or Sir Caletto? Roc USA would allow for some consolidation of the TB bloodlines (Turn To esp)...I prefer that - Amazing is sure developing into a lovely young stallion, that Balou blood is so elastic....

And I'd consider an Irish horse if it had an Ok head & could reliably pass on a forearm that came up...I used to ride an Irish horse that could jump - is his old age he was the consumate eq horse - such a nice, powerful ride...but a bit too much for the hunter ring.

Here is a video of our 3-year old gelding, Cordeiro, by the Canadian Warmblood stallion VDL Ulando (Corland x Ahorn). I highly recommend this stallion for producing amateur-friendly horses with talent for the jumper or hunter ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbRy8...eature=related
    Sentinel Hill Farm
    Home of VDL Windsor H

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    I'm a Cunningham 'fan' if you will...he is at the top of my list, he actually was for this fillies dam but I thought the next generation would be a better nick...fish - you have a couple - they don't travel too close behind, do they?
    No-- my Cunningham babies do not travel close behind-- which is, now that you mention it, kind of interesting, because their mother does.

Thumbs up

www.tishquirk.com

Just The Best & More Than Luck!!

These two should be at the TOP of your list!!!!

Good luck!
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Here is a video and pic of our Cunningham colt- I'd say he's pretty powerful behind.

Pic

Video

Check out Gold Luck at http://www.rollingstonefarm.com

He has a fantastic jump and his offspring do not lack either. I've ridden many of all ages and they were all wonderful amateur horses. I'm thinking my 2 yr old filly will be a very very nice a/o hunter, he throws nice daisy cutter movement. His hind is very influential and strong. He is short backed and more of the old school Hanoverian look, if you don't have a mare with a nice head the resulting foal would probably have a rather plain head (as mine does).
    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
    http://darkstr.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    Here is a video and pic of our Cunningham colt- I'd say he's pretty powerful behind.

Pic

Video
    Wow, very nice! How old is he there?
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    Wow, very nice! How old is he there?
    In the video he is 2.5 months old
    In the picture, taken 2 days ago, he is just shy of 3 months old

I took a new video that I'll post this afternoon of him at 3 months old.

At the risk of 'self-promoting', A Fine Romance has and is particularly prepotent for a very strong topline, strong loin connection, and deep powerful hip.
    And both he and the offspring are known and proven to have jumping ability, with the offspring having solid performance records, in the hunter ring, in the jumpers (including a winning full TB GP Jumper) and as eventers.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!