The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for a decent dressage saddle for a Newbie!

I have a little girl that loves dressage, but has been doing hunter/ jumpers most of her life so its very hard to get the hang of what you're supposed to do in your Intro tests while riding in a "Beval Devon". We are currently looking for something for her - she's 11 years old, she's about 5'5", very correct, long legs, great posture, soft hands - that won't break the bank, but that will make her feel comfortable in her FIRST REAL DRESSAGE SADDLE. Albeit, it is very important that it fit her horse as well, but we are just looking to be pointed in the correct direction. The mom doesn't mind spending up to 1k for "THE ONE", but would prefer to keep it under $700. Mind you, we are talking used saddles here
    Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Don't spur a willing horse - Anon.

Get the Wintec Isabell! You won't regret it, so comfy and puts you in a real correct position. Also I love it for trail riding - feel very secure in it. I got mine on Ebay for $700 and it was basically brand new! Plus for a young rider it's great to have synthetic - she can get it wet and doesn't have to oil or clean it much at all. Plus the newer ones have the x-change gullet so you can fit alot of horses well in it. Good luck, hope it fits her and the horse, really is a great saddle!

thorowood T4 at Dover. seat is mid depth, so easier transition from flat hunt saddle. moveable blocks so she can adjust them as she grows. brand new $550. very comfortable, also adjustable gullets for thehorse.

The wintec is a good choice. In addition, up to $1k you might find nearly any nice saddle used if you can be patient. Find your local consignment shops and stalk them.

Try saddles owned by barn-mates and see if you can get an idea of what does and doesn't work. Eventually, you may find that you need to shop online or eBay for a used saddle, but this will be much easier if you have an idea of what works and doesn't.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I just got a Kieffer Wien DL Professional off eBay for $450 and it's in fantastic condition. I like it because it doesn't have a super deep seat and it has tiny knee rolls, so you have to have a correct position instead of being placed into one with tons of padding. Transferring from hunters, she may appreciate a slightly flatter seat.

I also have a Collegiate Mentor (my first dressage saddle) which I like a lot. I bought that for $700 brand new 2 years ago, and I've seen some barely used for good prices. The leather is pretty good quality and it's well balanced, allows you to maintain a good position, and everyone I know who has ridden in it thought it was very comfortable! Having come from HJ land myself, the saddle made it very easy for me to learn the proper dressage position.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Quote Originally Posted by thegirlwonder View Post
    I have a little girl that loves dressage, but has been doing hunter/ jumpers most of her life so its very hard to get the hang of what you're supposed to do in your Intro tests while riding in a "Beval Devon". We are currently looking for something for her - she's 11 years old, she's about 5'5", very correct, long legs, great posture, soft hands - that won't break the bank, but that will make her feel comfortable in her FIRST REAL DRESSAGE SADDLE. Albeit, it is very important that it fit her horse as well, but we are just looking to be pointed in the correct direction. The mom doesn't mind spending up to 1k for "THE ONE", but would prefer to keep it under $700. Mind you, we are talking used saddles here
    Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    For that range you should be able to find a really nice previously new saddle. If you're very classical I'd say the used St├╝bbens would be great as they are open and she can move around rather than being locked into "the" position.

I've sold LOTS of saddles on eBay and there's always good ones on there to find. For a child it might be more of a challenge.

Other great used saddles I've bought and enjoyed are the older County's, Albion, older Anky, and Courbettes all within that $1000 range you're talking about and a couple at $750.

Best of luck to you and congrats to her!
    angelea | AnGeLeA media | angelea.com

Founder, HorseGirlTV®. Writer. Editor. Dressage USDF Gold Medalist. Where bits & bytes converge.

thumpernadya Guest

I would suggest a Euroriding saddles. These saddles are HUGELY popular in Europe but not advertised much here in the States. They are incredibly well-made and will last a lifetime. I would recommend the Diamant, as it is a wonderful saddle with a nice deep seat but not too deep. The knee rolls are not too big, so they aren't constricting. I had a Passier GT and switched to the Euroriding Diamant. The saddle is similar to the GT, although they are easier to ride, made better, and the leather doesn't turn brown as the Passiers tend to do. Just a thought...

I agree with looking at the older County & Albion saddles! You can find a few Albion K2 saddles out there for under a grand. I'm assuming that since she's only 11, that you're looking more for a 16" seat? That would rule mine out since it's a 17.5".
    *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
    My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

I will second the keiffer, amazing saddles great to learn in the only reason mine is being sold is I got a schleese. . . good condition and used they run from about 500-700 ish.