The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bad day...How can I repair a dented aluminum trailer

So I was on my way to my trainers farm and was going a different route. Thankfully I had my "trusty GPS" along to help me which of course led me the wrong way! So I am going down a very narrow one lane road that of course dead ends, as I am backing/turning and cussing I jackknife my truck into my trailer which of course caused a huge dent! I mean HUGE! Has this happened to anyone else? Did you leave it, repair it or cover it? How much did it run?
    I am just soooo mad!!!

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Not enough information. If it's just an aluminum skin over a frame it shouldn't be so bad. If it's aluminum slats welded together-like 4-Stars and a number or others, it'll be a bit more work.

Thanks Tom, it is a skin over a frame. The trailer is a 2006 Miley two horse. The damage was done to the nose where the tackroom is located. However it did not have the diamond plate on the front. Someone I spoke with said to cover with the diamond plate because it would be much cheaper to fix. Let me know if you need more info. I may take a picture tomorrow and load it to my photobucket account.

Ouch! I'm sorry.....
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

You should be able to go inside the trailer and push a lot of it out. It will still look ugly though. The Only way to have it look smooth and as before would be a lot of $$$ and a whole new sheet of aluminium, paint, trim and labour.
    Quick and dirty answer - push it out and cover it with checker plate.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    You should be able to go inside the trailer and push a lot of it out. It will still look ugly though. The Only way to have it look smooth and as before would be a lot of $$$ and a whole new sheet of aluminium, paint, trim and labour.
    Quick and dirty answer - push it out and cover it with checker plate.
    I was able to get some of it out but there is a crease and I cannot fix that on my own. I am thinking of putting a plate on it. It would be cheaper. Thanks everyone, it has been a frustrating day!

Just wanted to say that I've done this (about 4 years ago) and I feel for you. I pushed mine out as much as I could, but it's still dented and reminds me daily of my haste and stupidity. lol But otherwise, works fine.

Don't feel too bad, I did the same thing and punched through the aluminum on my Miley. I did find a trailer repair shop locally and had the entire front section replaced with diamond plate. I also had all of the trim replaced and an assortment of odds and ends fixed at the same time- for a cost of about $700. I am very satisfied with my new and improved trailer and much more skeptical of the new horse trailers. The workmanship is poor at best . I am having heavy duty dividers with thick rubber installed to replace the flimsy aluminum and plywood dividers that are standard. I purchased the trailer new off the lot 4yrs ago and I use it only 1-2 times a month The shop I use designs and sells custom trailers and their work is exceptional so eventually I will have the perfect ride.

Thanks everyone for your support. I have pounded out parts of the dent and it looks.....better. However, I think it still needs to go to the repair shop soon.

Wander did they put the diamond plate over the sent or did they remove that section and replace with the diamond plate? Would you mind PM'ing me a picture if you have one?

I will say I am somewhat worried about the ease and extent the aluminum dented. I am glad it hit the tack compartment but am worried even a fender bender could hurt the horses if it was hit in their area. I may buy steel next time.

I am going to go out with the 30sec. video cam. so you can see the changes I made.
    PS all the original siding was removed before the diamond plate was installed.

I so worry about doing this!!

How did the trucks bumper fair? I say pop it out and put a plate over it...
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

This is why (among many other reasons) I bought an all-steel trailer.

Although the repairs to the KICK damage ran me over $3000!

But I always feel like the horses are safe in there. It's sturdy and rock solid.

As a state trooper once told me, get either steel or the really heavy-duty (and $$$) aluminum to keep your animals safest. He did large animal rescue and knew whereof he spoke... My steel Jackson went sideways down an embankment when I hit a patch of black ice in my (very long) driveway. Front window broke, rescue team had to cut out my divider (the non-removable kind...) to free a trapped horse- but trailer was otherwise intact. Replaced the window, welded the divider, don't EVER plan to replace the trailer...

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am taking the trailer to a repair shop in the next week to see what they can do. If they cannot help me then I am going to take it to my hay guy who is a metal fabricator and a genius! So we will see what happens.

I do agree with snbess.... If I had thought about it instead of blindly following my GPS then this would not have happened. I knew it was not right the minute I turned down the road. From now on I am taking my time to look, even if I have to get out of my truck to make sure I am not lead astray again!! I am thankful the only damage was to my trailer and not my precious horse!

don't forget tho waterproof the seams...

(hey, a bad day with sheet metal damage, still beats other bad days by miles)

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett