The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

And just who of all you Trainer, Riders, Owners Managers,etc are going to attend this Convention. And if you are attending just what do you think will get accomplished. And what subjects are you going to bring to the floor of these meetings.

wasn't that in December?
    Imagine that......

No, this is the convention in Cincinanti. It is starting this WEEK.

I will be going and , as usual, if you want to email me with your opinions and thoughts I will be happy to present it to the group..unless someone else does first.
    [url]http://www.horseshowbiz.com
    [url]http://www.ijumpsports.com

Kathy,

I have another rule change I would like to hear what happens to (forgive the grammar).
    tracking number 594-05link to 594-05
    rule 808.1f

Thanks
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Janet...good catch by the Eventing Committee.!!!!

I will TRY to step into that meeting too as well as follow it through our (HJ) groups.

Kathy
    Would you please try to find out what was decided with the surveys the USEF sent out about the show dates.
    Would love to know what the results were that were sent back to them.

OAK...we (Show Standards) discussed the surveys at the USHJA Convention and it was part of the presentation.

The "problem" was the very poor response by show managers in returning the surveys. Seems the main survey respondents were the "big" managers with mulitple shows in multiple areas.

While I am know that there were several other managers who also returned them...it was not very many. That created a problem because it was then difficult to really corrolate what the survey was supposed to give insight on....ALL the managers opinions.

Our discussion was just how to get a better response from the managers so it would really reflect reality instead of just a few. Maybe another with phone calls, emails or faxes...but even with all that it is really up to ALL managers to try to respond...especially in light of the issues that face shows right now.

IMHO..seems like there is so much complaining about the "big" managers but when asked for their input...most managers simply did not return the survey. That made it hard to come up with a consensus.

IN DEFENSE OF THE ORGANIZATIONS.....it would have been very simple to say "OK. this is what "they" want!!" But neither Long, Moroney, Pike or others were willing to take the smaller amount that HAD been returned and make decisions based on that.

Instead it was sort of sent "back" for more work in an effort to get better response!

I will follow up here at Cincinnati and see what has happened since then. I can only tell you they are trying to figure it out, and they DO want the managers opinions!!!

If I can get the stats I will.

Kathy
    Thank you for the update. It is a shame that there wasn't a bigger response. I know all the managers in my area thought it was important. I think the small manager should have just as much influence as the BIG managers.
    As far as I know no one wanted to change the way the dates were assigned.
    If it isn;t broke don't fix it.
    Thank you again, hope you can get some good news for us.

All I can tell you is that we were all really disappointed about the amount of returned surveys.

Hello everyone!

Sorry, but I wanted to keep this one page one...

"...And what subjects are you going to bring to the floor of these meetings."

Well, how about a rule PERMANENTLY BANNING CONVICTED CRIMINALS? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Mary

I for one can tell you that this will be a hot topic at the convention. Where it goes is anyone's guess...BUT IT WILL BE DISCUSSED.

Just a bump. Maybe someone can keep up updated.

This needs another bump if we are ever going to find out what is happening in Cincinnati. There are lots of us out here who couldn't get to the convention but would surely like to know what is happening. Someone please clue us in.

Maybe they don't want us to know or they are BUSY. Partying? No they wouldn't be doing that.

Well here I sit in the midst of the mother nest.I missed the morning meeting because I was online with the Tech people. Apparently the computer system did not want to recognize my lowly outdated laptop. As you can see it was worth the trouble to get my email and be able to post to you.

Essentially it has so far been much of the same. Anything controversial has been either tabled for rewriting or postponed for the July Board Meeting. The room for this afternoon was rather small, maybe 30 people tops. There doesn't seem to be many people here yet. Perhaps they will be here tomorrow for the first Board Meeting.

I am enjoying the time away from the farm with great Room Service and no one ringing up on the telephone.

Snowbird, is the reason for tabling anything controversial the hope that addressing the matters in July when people are busy with showing and what have you, the issues can get slid through with little public notice?
    POYBGP, member in good standing.

OH! Harry how well I know. I have made several treks to the July Meetings to see how it is organized. The favorite is to rewrite it for the last Board Meeting when no one is there. By then half the Board and all the Committees have left for home. Those there are watching the clocks. Anxious to complete the job and not miss their plane.

That's if it's urgent and can't wait until July.

This may sound like a really stupid request, but is there any time/place where a person who shows and/or trains could stand up publicly to complain about the way shows, and the association in general are run.

I know this will probably sound petty, but I have absolutly HAD IT with rude obnoxious show secretaries.

I think the USEFs stance on this would be, oh, well if they are rude, dont attend. Ummm, ok, so with the mileage rule and living in a state as narrow as Florida, I guess we will just stay home EVERY weekend of the whole of next year.

There is no competition, hence, they can treat you like crap, while you are handing over a check for, like, 4 or 5 thousand dollars, and if you are a small barn, they dont even have to be civil, or pretend like they are glad that you are there.

I swear to god that if someone put the topic on the agenda I would (even though I hate public speaking) stand up and vent to the whole place. My calendar has exactly three A shows on it this year, down from 18 last year, because the parents of my students, dont know a lot about shows, but recognise when they are being treated like crap, and because they respect me as both a person and a trainer, have black balled the rated shows in the area, until they can at least not berate me in front of my students.

Now, I know that right now this may not matter to the USEF, but, it may do some good to mention that in the future, there will be a lot of membership and other fees, NOT being collected for (just in my barn), the 24 kids who joined last year and participated in the A shows, and will not be there this year. If there are that many in just my barn, I just wonder how many others they are losing each year.

Now, a lot of my friends who are smaller trainers feel like the USEF is becoming for all intents and purposes an elite organisation that only caters to the super rich. The more I hang around the more I buy into this idea. Here are just a few reasons why I and many of my friends feel this way:

The only scholarships that the USEF offers are competition scholarships, which I might add go to the people who can well afford to travel over seas to compete and most of the time dont need the money anyway. And all the other big organisations offer AT LEAST ten college and educational scholarships every year.

The organisation is completly insensitive to any complaints about judging or stewards. Fill out the form, attach a check, so we can cash it and ignore you (even if you send us a video with proof of cheating on it, well just keep it god knows where and send you a letter telling you that the judge, supreme being that he is, is always right). Then they dont even sanction the individual involved.

The USEF has a bunch of people with eating disorders and wont even consider the idea of trying to start a program to help people who have been adversely affected by their experience riding. As a matter of fact, they will bluntly tell you, if you happen to bring it up, if you are able to ever find a person who may have a USEF position of power, that this isnt a RIDING problem, or a SHOWING problem, but rather a coaching problem and not their responsiblity.

I used to attend the conventions, but to be honest, I started to think about them as a bunch of people sitting at the top of the heap, going, ok, lets run this organisation so we can earn a ton of money and ignore whoever doesnt agree with us. I have even stood up in a couple of the conventions and stuck up for the smaller trainers and the local show people, but, it is even worse now than it used to be.

I have emailed and called people with the USEF on all of the topics I have listed above and the people in charge there cant even be bothered to call back or to send an email. They just arent interested in the well being of all the members, only a select few.

I know I sound like a bitter, nutcase, but actually, I am just a trainer trying to learn more, teach better, and make a living. I have to consider what effect the treatment we recieve at USEF events, will have on the kids I am responsible for. I am sort of tired of the, ok, so now we are learning about how life isnt fair lesson. I think we maybe got that one by now.

Sorry for the rant, I really am pretty sane, and didnt expect this to be this long, even though I am always a bit long winded. Rant done.

Originally posted by Mary Waickman:

Well, how about a rule PERMANENTLY BANNING CONVICTED CRIMINALS? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Mary

I second that!!