The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Amplify by Purina

Has anyone used Amplify? I have a mare that I have a hard time keeping weight on and someone suggested I use Amplify. I have never heard of it before and would like to get some feedback on it. Thanks!!
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

I used it for a broodmare last year -- did not seem to make much difference with her.

I am currently using Ultrabloom by Seminole and I am getting weight gain with a different broodmare. I also used it on my stallion during the heavy breeding season when he started dropping a little weight and the weight came back quickly and stablized.
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

I am currently using Amplify on several and like it alot. I had used Ultium until this product came out -- also with great results. But I'm using it for the fat/weight on some older horses and a retired show horse, so I didn't really need the Ultium except for the fat and Amplify has more. Their coats are fabulous and the weight gain and "bloom" has been outstanding. They like it also and even the ones I have to wet it for do well with it (one is 30!). Very good product -- I understand it has the highest percentage of digestible fat in the industry.
    PennyG

I have used it on two of my mares with great success. Both mares ate it well and gained weight

I've had excellent results giving Amplify to my OTTB gelding. He's gained nice weight on the Amplify, and his coat looks awesome too. And he LOFFS it.

I tried it briefly, then switched to Ultimate Finish once I noticed how high the amplify was in corn! Ultimate finish is also $5 cheaper per bag, and is rich in omega fatty acids.

I can tell you that I have had HUGE success with it.

Fustrated with rice bran, beet pulp and corn oil....I went with this product starting in December 2009.

I have 6 rescues here that were body scores of 1.5 when they came in and were heavy in foal. Added a pound at a time to their feeding...maxed at 6 pounds per day...as well as their normal food ration and I know have FAT shiney, lactating mares.

They get 2 pounds a day in their feed...and even the mare that everyone swore was NEVER going to put weight on....looks like she is about to drop another foal.

As for my show horses....1/2 pound twice a day...and they are all rolly polly!

My 2 year olds look like they could walk into the hunter breeding ring! They get 1 1/2 scoops of a 12% pellet and 1/2 pound of Amplify.

Its costly....but worth it IMO

I use it on my young horse that is in heavy work. I had the same problem Luckyduck had with corn oil, rice bran and beet pulp, they just did not work. Within a week of using Amplify I noticed he was filling out and his coat looks great. Now that he is at the weight I want I have cut back on the amount I am feeding him and still looks great. In fact my trainer commented yesterday how much he has matured in the past month.

most of purina's feeds now have the amplify nuggets in the feed. i have switched over from the regular strategy to the new strategy healthy edge. and i love it. coats look great, shinny, dapples, all have good weight on them. and it does not appear to be making them hot(i thought the ultium did do that to mine). great product.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

My Dogs kept eating it our of the horses buckets that I make up ahead of time! At first I thought that I had forgotten to put it in the top buckets, until I cought the culprits at it..

Thx for all of the replies. This mare can be a hard keeper when she is lactating. Of course her foal is very big this year. Thx again.
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

Default another vote for Ultimate Finish

I will also vote for Ultimate Finish, does wonders! I also like Moorglo (ADM) it is Rice Bran and excellent.

Just a though:

I have a TB broodmare, who was quite picky about what feed she would eat during gestation. Finally after trying nearly every feed on the market, I tried Legends Mare and Foal (Southern States). She and her 3 month old foal are eating 16 lbs per day, and look splendid.
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

Love the Amplify. Have had really good luck with it on everything I've fed it to for 3 years.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!