The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quarter Horse hunter/dressage vs hunter under saddle

I have been looking at all possibilities for a market foal for a nice TB mare and one is to breed for a QH to be a over fences hunter so it can cross enter in open hunter shows and a QH with enough movement to produce a dressage horse for the new QH dressage points and/or open dressage. What I am finding are QH stallions for hunter under saddle. Are there QH or Paint stallions for both. And where do you find QH stallions producing hunter over fences horses. Thanks PatO

I think it would be highly unlikely that you'd find a QH stallion that throws good dressage movement. Dressage movement is not desireable in the QH world. Perhaps that will change now that dressage has been added, but I think your odds will be better trying for a hunter type.

Get a subscription to the QH Journal. All the good sires are generally advertised there. It's a place to start...

My Rugged Destiny

There's a big difference in the QH world between the HUS horse and the Hunter Over Fences horse. The latter can also be a really nice USEF Hunter or Dressage horse.

He Jumps
    He does Dressage

A really nice horse stands up in Illinois I think it is, he is a son of Indian Artifacts a HUGE black horse, but cannot recall his name right now. I think he might fit what you are looking for, will try and recall his name, I know I really would like to breed to him one day!

I was going to suggest the Rugged Lark line as it is well known for the long and low type. He's an amazing stallion that has done just about anything and most of your big time QH buffs biggest complaints about him is he moves wrong for a western horse. IE he's rythmic in any gate and will tuck them knees nice and tight for the jumping ring. He also utterly fails at the halter ring.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

^ this, all of the Rugged Lark progeny I've ever run across can be picked out in a second...beautiful movers.

The QH world is one of mystery and wonder to me...and what you will find as the top producer in their hunter circuits would not last a second in a USEF show ring, and vice versa.

And not that this is what you asked, but a TB mare seems to have as much value in the WB world these days as producing a marketable foal as an Appendix, if thats purely what you're looking for.

The horse I was thinking of is Indian Artbeat, I really like him and would like to breed to him. Another horse that isn't a well known horse is So Riveting. I have a three year old filly by him, she is built uphill and lovely mover, a bit more of a hunter mover than dressage but like her. He does show over fences as well.

Default I found Indian Artbeat

I had him on my list. I am guessing that most QH hunters come from a TB sire on a QH mare but this TB mare I want to use is a wonderful temperamented horse. However I am not sure yet that she will throw tall...she is 16 hands (with 17 hand siblings though) so until I know if she throws tall the Rugged Lark guy is under 16 hands...think he is 15.2. I agree that warmblood type movement is not easy to find in QH(this mare has it)...I have found however that there are good movers just not very predictable good movers. For dressage I think the biggest problem when leaving warmbloods is the reduction of straightness and elasticity for dressage. This TB mare needs a job and has a hock injury so it will be breeding, TB mares are a dime a dozen, fortunately she is lovely, if we choose well we can set her up to have a safe life as a quality broodmare. I have been looking at stallions from all directions and TB cross young stock to see where the prices are...QH hunter can be a good choice if you produce what they want. I agree the hunter under saddle classes are WAY silly but it is important to understand what they want. PatO

One thing that is VERY important if you want to register foal with AQHA. If the mare is a TB you MUST breed to a horse with a "Regular registry" number i.e. they cannot have an "X" in front of the registration number. They MAY be 1/2 or more TB and still not be "X" (appendix) as once they accumulate a certain number of AQHA points they can be "Advanced" into the regular registry. So if registration with AQHA is important to you, you need to inquire as to whether a stallion is "regular" or "appendix" registered.

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    One thing that is VERY important if you want to register foal with AQHA. If the mare is a TB you MUST breed to a horse with a "Regular registry" number i.e. they cannot have an "X" in front of the registration number. They MAY be 1/2 or more TB and still not be "X" (appendix) as once they accumulate a certain number of AQHA points they can be "Advanced" into the regular registry. So if registration with AQHA is important to you, you need to inquire as to whether a stallion is "regular" or "appendix" registered.
    I was just going to say this! I bought my TB mare from a QH breeder, neither of us knew she was in foal until I got her home, and when I found out and called her old owner, the APPENDIX stallion was the one who broke out of the fence. So, my colt can't be registered AQHA.

I do have him registered lifetime USEF, and luckily he is a palomino so I can register him PHBA if he isn't doing well in the USEF classes, but since he *is* mostly TB (just a yellow one) I think we can do reasonably well in USEF.

But I would NEVER pick this cross if I was trying to get a market foal.

Default Don't underestimate the QH market

There is an enormous market for QH hunter under saddle. It has it's own prejudices...the youngsters for hunter under saddle need to be tall 16.2+ with a big price jump over 17 hands. Their movement desired is a flat kneed movement not unlike show hunter. There is less demend for hunter over fences but the over fences crowd can also show open and they do very very well. Many show hunters are secret QHs. They also event and do jumpers. The change is that AQHA is supporting dressage scores in their perfomance programs. I have not been but the QH nationals and Worlds are split with a Junior National, a Senior National, and an Amateur National all with prize money. There are many prize paying programs as well. It IS stylized and not much like riding a real western horse on a real praire but riding a show ring hunter is no less stylized. Also they usually know the dam and sire of their mounts...the same can't be said for show hunter riders. PatO

If I were you I would pick one of the big-name quarter horses. Artful Move, Indian Artifacts, Coats N Tails, etc. As you say, the name does sell in the quarter horse world. Pick which one you think goes best with your mare.

I like Rugged Lark horses myself but would not recommend that route, as they tend to be too small for the quarter horse market. A HUS must be 16.2 or better these days, and many RL-line horses end up 16 HH or under.

I have a weanling by a local QH stallion and out of a Coats N Tails mare. I think he'll be a great amateur hunter someday -- he'll be 16.3 easily and has a regular hunter look. He is an amazing mover -- just floats. Most importantly, his mind is great.

The market is HUGE for an ammy-friendly 3' packer, which is my plan for this guy.

Artful Move.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I think this young stallion is worth looking at:

Hunt Coats Required 2007 Brown Stallion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22ATF...ext=1&index=20
    Last edited by Movin Artfully; Jul. 5, 2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: minor change

Default Quarter Horse sires

Hunt Coats Required: This is a very nice stallion. I do not, however, think he's breeding outside mares this year. He's just three years old. He has a wonderful length of stride!

Indian Artbeat: I've only seen a couple of these around. I would try to solicit more information about this horse and/or his get. There was a video floating around of him jumping some small fences; maybe it's on the stallion's website.

Coats N Tails (sire of aforementioned Hunt Coats Required): When bred to the right mare, this one has some lovely, lovely movers.

Skys Blue Boy: This is the one that you should seriously consider. Yes, his stud fee is a little higher than most, but he consistently sires horses with classic hunter form. Some of his offspring are brilliant.

Its All About Blue: A son of Skys Blue Boy, this horse did not show much, but he does have his permanent number (regular registry). He is not as classically chiseled and "pretty" as his sire, but he's taller and has a lot of presence to him. He reminds me of a warmblood. He's sired some nice foals.

Knowtorious Son: I think this chestnut jumper stands in the Midwest somewhere; some offspring out showing.

Dr Hollywood DVM: A stallion that stands in Oklahoma, I've often thought of breeding to this one. He seems athletic.

So much depends on your mare, too, obviously. Good luck!
    Last edited by lb2005; Jul. 6, 2010 at 02:53 PM.

a student of mine just bouht a two year old by Its All About Blue, he is a big boy and cute more. A little turned out in front but think that is from the mare as all her babies have been.

Skys Blue Boy
    Sky Blue Walker
    Its All About Blue
    So Riveting (very lovely up & coming)
    Arts Self Portrait
    Million Dollar Luke
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Life's a bleach and then you dye"
    "Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet." Roger Miller