The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Instant oatmeal to help feed meds?

My gelding is getting tired of my squirting SMZs down his throat (mixed with water and molasses). Can I feed him a concoction that includes a small pouch of instant oatmeal for texture?

(My vet didn't anwer )
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

I recently used applesauce to give my mare antibiotics. She lapped it all up (stand back, I did get a little splattered on me). I did pour a little swirl of molasses on top.

I am starting to give her applesauce as a regular treat she loved it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    My gelding is getting tired of my squirting SMZs down his throat (mixed with water and molasses). Can I feed him a concoction that includes a small pouch of instant oatmeal for texture?

(My vet didn't anwer )
    I've seen it attempted (with the brown sugar variety to be exact). The horse would not eat the mixture, but perhaps yours is less picky...

Sure, give it a try. Seems like every horse has a favorite "concoction", but it is up to us to find The One.

FWIW, mine all seem to find (dreaded, evil) wheat bran mixed with (devil-spawn) molasses pretty irresistible for making a medical mash.
    Click here before you buy.

For my Percheron, it is an older, soft Banana.

I swear, I can put 2 grams of bute (divided) into a banana and down it goes which much licking and slobbering.

Cheap to try!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I sometimes have made winter time warm mashes for my kids. I use beet pulp, bran and instant oats (the big container of Quaker or store brand). Mix it all up with apples or carrots...they LOVE it!

OK. I'll give it a try. I'm going to use apple juice (no sugar added) as the base and add a little molasses. I might at the meds after I see if he's going to even think about eating it

One of my horses loves bananas, but not this one. He's the pickiest. Two of my horses I can put bute tabs in apple slices, carrots, anything, and they will eat them. This horse will take a 1/4 apple with a half piece of bute and out comes the bute -- then he won't take any more treats from me for the day.

The water/molasses works OK, but I still lose too much
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

There's peppermint and apple flavored Bute powder. Even my pickiest eats it in his feed.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    There's peppermint and apple flavored Bute powder. Even my pickiest eats it in his feed.
    BEST THING EVER!!!
    Cindy

I am using dissolving 10 SMZ pills in about a half cup of apple juice, then mixing in feed and letting it stand til its mushy. Horse hoovers it up.

My horse goes bonkers for Quaker Oats Apple flavored oatmeal!!!

For SMZs I used a jar of hot water & a tablespoon of sugar or a dollop of molasses. Put meds in water, let stand a few minutes while you round up horses an prepare feed. Shake jar well to make sure the stuff has dissolved. Add you sweetener, shake vigorously to mix it well. Pour over feed, stir a bit and serve.

I've hidden medications with great success using pancake syrup! Just the cheapest store-brand. Or soaked beet pulp, or soaked alfalfa cubes (sometimes with the pancake syrup or molasses added).

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!