The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Books

I'm not quite sure where to post this but I'll start here. The last thread on bringing the horses home got me thinking about necessary books. We're bringing our horses home the end of this month for the first time. I've had horses in various boarding situations off and on for 30 years but my other half is a relatively novice horse owner. What books would you list as must haves for a small farm (60 acres) with two or three horses? I have horse owning on a small acreage and just added the Karen Hayes 'Emergency' book to my list but what are the other must haves? Thanks.

Merck Veterinary Manual.

Can't think of any other books off the top of my head, but Jessica Jahiel's Horse Sense is an internet resource that I found interesting.

Storey publishing (the publisher of Cherry Hill's books) has a large selection of titles.

If you have a BO, get them to talking about the things that went wrong. I find anecdotes can be very enlightening, how they wish they'd run the water pipes differently or situated the barn or what have you. We have a good relationship with my trainer and she is of great help to us, although she can't tell us how to replace a frost-free hydrant she has a list of workmen and tradesmen that she is happy to share.
    Coth is an enormous resource but not actually set up to be there when you need it, so spending an afternoon using the search function and copying useful threads might be an option.

I wish there was an Idiot's Guide to horse care. Hopefully someone else knows of one.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    See! Cherry Hill did, but I'm so out of the loop I didn't know she was publishing her own titles now.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

A couple of oldies but goodies: Practical Horseman's Book of Horsekeeping and A Horse of Your Own by M.A. Stoneridge. I also love the little pamphlet Field Management for Horses by Mary Gordon Watson.