The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Denmark's Ruby Red and Starbuck's Prince Denmark WOW Judge at American Warmblood Inspection

Starbuck's Prince Denmark and dam Denmark's Ruby Red had their American Warmblood inspection today, presented by Beth DiCicco and Joan Blood.

Red was rated Red Preferred, and her colt Starbuck was rated Supreme. With a score of 87.5, Starbuck was first out of 25 horses entered. The judge said he was one of the best foals she'd ever seen and she expected to see him in year-end national standings.

After judging was over, the judge asked about Starbuck's breeding, particularly his sire. Beth replied, "The sire is Buck's Co-Star. The foal is 100% Saddlebred." The judge's mouth fell open and she said "SADDLEBRED??!!!!?". Oh, the stealth Saddlebreds, they are sweet....

Our thanks to Beth DiCicco for a superb job, to Al Parillo and John Galliano for showing us the way, to Lynn Harrington and Corine Crossmon for their ongoing help and encouragement, and to Marge Mullen for her unending promotion of the versatility of this finest breed.
    http://www.americansaddlebredsportho...nd%20about.htm
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Denmark's Ruby Red and Starbuck's Prince Denmark WOW Judge at American Warmblood Inspection

Starbuck's Prince Denmark and dam Denmark's Ruby Red had their American Warmblood inspection today, presented by Beth DiCicco and Joan Blood.

Red was rated Red Preferred, and her colt Starbuck was rated Supreme. With a score of 87.5, Starbuck was first out of 25 horses entered. The judge said he was one of the best foals she'd ever seen and she expected to see him in year-end national standings.

After judging was over, the judge asked about Starbuck's breeding, particularly his sire. Beth replied, "The sire is Buck's Co-Star. The foal is 100% Saddlebred." The judge's mouth fell open and she said "SADDLEBRED??!!!!?". Oh, the stealth Saddlebreds, they are sweet....

Our thanks to Beth DiCicco for a superb job, to Al Parillo and John Galliano for showing us the way, to Lynn Harrington and Corine Crossmon for their ongoing help and encouragement, and to Marge Mullen for her unending promotion of the versatility of this finest breed.
    http://www.americansaddlebredsportho...nd%20about.htm
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Why exactly do you think this is silly, Equibrit? Enlighten me please, because I just don't see it.

I'm glad you posted that link, though. I hope everyone takes a good look at Harry Callahan, ridden by Chrissa Hoffman. A fine example of a talented Saddlebred competing in Dressage. Lovely horse, and I love that pic! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Maybe this is why the AWR and AWS get so little respect from warmblood breeders. While saddlebred crosses are nice, they are not warmbloods. Not any more than draft crosses are warmbloods.
    Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Easy, whoaa there nellie!!! Why are you ladies soooo prickly?? http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif
    "What's so funny 'bout Peace Love and Understanding?" Elvis Costello

Nothing against other breeds of horse and there are many good individuals out there but...

I agree that this is why the American registries are not taken seriously. Take him to Devon and beat the warmbloods on the line and under saddle (at a level other than training level) and then it won't be silly.

Why "disguise" a Saddlebred as an American Warmblood? Is being a Saddlebred not good enough?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

we've done this before. boring.
    "What's so funny 'bout Peace Love and Understanding?" Elvis Costello

That was an AWS inspection, not AWR

please keep your registries straight.

Okay, someone needs to explain this to me....

What kind of "warmblood" registry is inspecting and registering foals, THEN asking about the bloodlines? Shouldn't that tell you something right there?

Sheesh.... Yeah, and my next point is that besides WHEN they asked, they shouldn't have needed to ask- wasn't there some sort of breeding certificate or pedigrees on the sire and dam available?

How can you "register" a horse without some sort of proof of parentage?!?!

Spectrum.

Um, Happy Bunny, the horse in question is NOT a crossbred...so your point is moot.
    Mariesonny, if you do a bit of research, you will find that there have been pure ASB's competing in line classes at Devon.
    Equibrit, I don't see how this person disguised her saddlebred...?
    And to Spectrum.....I beleive that the horse in question DOES have papers, therefore that would be considered proof of parentage does it not?

I'll bet if the horse in question was a "palomino TB" everyone on this board would be gushing over it.....and guess what? A TB isn't a warmblood either, but no-one on this board would think it would be "silly" if a TB got high marks at an AWR or AWS inspection.

Sad....really sad.

And a reminder to Spectrum: the info on the horse's pedigree as well as contact info for the owner would have been submitted and kept by the show manager/secretary, not the judge. Unless things are done differently at AWS/AWR inspections, the judges should only have their judge card in front of them, not the pedigree info on each and every horse entered. That would be a LOT of paperwork to carry around while they're judging in the ring, they'd look pretty stupid with a stack of photocopied pedigrees in their arms, don't you think? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

OK... I've seen the saddlebred class at Devon.. I wasn't impressed...

Are you saying that saddlebreds have competed in the open in hand classes - that is, the yearling, two year old, etc - and have beat other breeds, including warmbloods?
    co-author of
    Duel for the Crown: Affirmed, Alydar, and Racing's Greatest Rivalry

yes, they have, and here's an example:
    http://www.horsesdaily.com/news/scor...ed/4_2ycg.html

Borealis showed in the Open 2 year old colts division against well-bred WBs and WBx and received a very respectable score. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

I'm surprised that you, SportArab, as a breeder of Arab sporthorses, would have such a snide and close-minded attitude. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif

USDF guidlines require and many registries prefer to inspect and judge without knowledge of bloodlines. It keeps polictics to a minimum that way http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif TB's are routinely used in WB breeding, saddlebreds are not.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Borealis came in 17th out of 21 and you call that respectable? I think it falls under "also ran".....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Jean S. Guest

Well, I was the one who posted that. They were not trying to be warmbloods. Far from it. They are trying to promote Saddlebreds as sporthorses and getting them acknowledged through AWS is one way to go. It was recommended to them by a good freind of theirs who is a USDF certified instructor and riding at Grand Prix. If you knew anything about the history of the Saddlebred, you'd know that they were originally bred and trained to do everything AND with elegance. SportArab, I was a longtime Arab owner and there are a lot of arabs out there that aren't too impressive. The Saddlebred that won at Devon got a score in the high 70's by Hilda Gurney. You should have been impressed. A good horse is a good horse is a good horse, no matter what the breed. Why condemn someone for trying to make a difference in a breed? Thanks Lianne! Jean S.

I was looking at his SCORE, siegi. And yes, I consider his score to be perfectly respectable. He also beat out an NAWPN colt, and a SWB by L.A. Baltic Sundance, who I'm sure is a lovely colt, are you saying that their scores are even more "dismissable"?

Funny, I'd be willing to bet that if the owners of those two colts had posted their results proudly on this board, everyone would've patted them on their backs and said a hearty congratulations....

The hypocrisy on this board is unREAL. Might I remind you guys that this is a SPORT HORSE BREEDING FORUM, not a WARMBLOOD breeding forum? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

Does it feel good to be so narrow-minded and biased, siegi?

Jean S. Guest

Lianne, I stand corrected. 72%. For those who are so quick to condemn, "Your horses scored what?" Jean