The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Barns within an hour or so of Manhattan?

I suspect this subject has been done to death, but I'm looking for a lesson barn, preferably in Fairfield/Southern Litchfield/Westchester/Putnam that values daily and ample turnout for their horses. I've tried a handful of places in the region, but have been disappointed by the 24/7 stabling of their horses. I don't mind paying for quality and superb facilities, though I'm more interested in direct access to trails/hunter paces/draghunting than I am competing in the ring. A half-lease might be an option, though not with immediate effect.

Thanks so much for your help.

There have been lots of threads about this topic, one quite recently. If you do a search you should be able to find lots of recommendations, although ample grass turnout is getting more and more difficult to find.

I used to board here:
    http://www.sleepyhollowcc.org/Club/S.../Home/home.asp

Don't know the status of the facilities now, but the trails are to die for. Turn-out ok - there was grass.
    If NJ was convenient, you might consider Beacon Hill?

Cogi Farm, Pawling NY
    Valley Pond Farm (Barb Fillipelli) Patterson NY
    The White Barn, North Salem NY
    Vail Farm/ The Barn, North Salem NY
    Mistover, Pawling NY
    Forget Me Not Farm, North Salem NY

It isn't clear if you are looking for a place to board your horse and take lessons, or a place to take lessons on school horses.

If the former, Arcadia Farm in Yorktown Hts has a fair amount of turnout, and access to some trails. And they are within easy trailering distance of the BRLA activities (hunter paces, extensive trails, etc.). They also go to both big and small shows. But I don't think they have school horses per se.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    It isn't clear if you are looking for a place to board your horse and take lessons, or a place to take lessons on school horses.

If the former, Arcadia Farm in Yorktown Hts has a fair amount of turnout, and access to some trails. And they are within easy trailering distance of the BRLA activities (hunter paces, extensive trails, etc.). They also go to both big and small shows. But I don't think they have school horses per se.

I'm not entirely sure tbh. Sorry to be so vague.

I resumed riding last year after sixteen years off, so I'm still getting to grips with a good lower leg and jumping 2'3-2'6. I don't have time for a horse of my own, but I would love to build up to half-leasing a horse.

I'm originally from England, and am more used to lively hacks and the odd hunter trial, than I am competing in the ring. Perhaps in vain, I'm trying to replicate the sort of riding/method of keeping horses commonplace in England, which usually includes generous turnout.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

Thumbs up The Ridge at Tewksbury

I rode at Nona Garson's barn and I can recall it was an hour bus ride away from Manhattan...
    Their link:
    http://www.theridgefarm.com/
    They have lessons, turnout and lease options plus you can train with Nona....doesn't get any better than that!
    Viv
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by prosefullstop View Post
    I'm not entirely sure tbh. Sorry to be so vague.

I resumed riding last year after sixteen years off, so I'm still getting to grips with a good lower leg and jumping 2'3-2'6. I don't have time for a horse of my own, but I would love to build up to half-leasing a horse.

I'm originally from England, and am more used to lively hacks and the odd hunter trial, than I am competing in the ring. Perhaps in vain, I'm trying to replicate the sort of riding/method of keeping horses commonplace in England, which usually includes generous turnout.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far.
    That sort of yard doesn't typically exist in this area, I'm afraid. Most of the barns offering lessons and leases will be more show oriented although showing is not always a requirement.

Some of the eventing barns I know of offer more hacking out and they do hunter paces and so forth, but the ones I know of are more than an hour outside of Manhattan, I'm afraid.

You might contact the Greenwich Riding Trails Association and see if any of their members might have a half lease arrangement available. I'd imagine that would be within your driving distance. Their classified section usually has some horses for lease: http://www.thegrta.org/classifieds.php
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by faraway46 View Post
    I rode at Nona Garson's barn and I can recall it was an hour bus ride away from Manhattan...
    Their link:
    http://www.theridgefarm.com/
    They have lessons, turnout and lease options plus you can train with Nona....doesn't get any better than that!
    Viv
    That looks glorious. Only thing is my husband and I are looking to buy a weekend home in either CT or NY in a year or two, which means I'd like to establish some kind of relationship up there.

Slightly off topic, but this is where I grew up. We were truly blessed with all that hacking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN9hg...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    That sort of yard doesn't typically exist in this area, I'm afraid. Most of the barns offering lessons and leases will be more show oriented although showing is not always a requirement.

Some of the eventing barns I know of offer more hacking out and they do hunter paces and so forth, but the ones I know of are more than an hour outside of Manhattan, I'm afraid.

You might contact the Greenwich Riding Trails Association and see if any of their members might have a half lease arrangement available. I'd imagine that would be within your driving distance. Their classified section usually has some horses for lease: http://www.thegrta.org/classifieds.php
    That sounds like a plan. I hear that Bedford has a nice trail network, too.

I do own a car, if that helps anyone with their suggestions.

i just want to pipe up and support your astonishment op - i grew up north of santa barbara where space for my horses was plentiful and room to graze at liberty and trail rides were things i could take for granted. now i'm in los angeles and i still marvel at the number of facilities where, with space literally all around, barn planners/builders seem determined to cram as many horses as they can into the smallest areas of square footage possible. i'm sure it has to do with the price of real estate, etc, but i have to wonder at what point we decided as human beings, who consider a 1000 square foot house to be 'small' - at what point we decided 1200 lb horses should occupy 24 square feet 20+ hours a day, and expect this to be so without detriment to their soundness, mental and internal health.

Quote Originally Posted by KristieBee View Post
    i just want to pipe up and support your astonishment op - i grew up north of santa barbara where space for my horses was plentiful and room to graze at liberty and trail rides were things i could take for granted. now i'm in los angeles and i still marvel at the number of facilities where, with space literally all around, barn planners/builders seem determined to cram as many horses as they can into the smallest areas of square footage possible. i'm sure it has to do with the price of real estate, etc, but i have to wonder at what point we decided as human beings, who consider a 1000 square foot house to be 'small' - at what point we decided 1200 lb horses should occupy 24 square feet 20+ hours a day, and expect this to be so without detriment to their soundness, mental and internal health.
    I don't want to criticise anyone here, and horses can be kept in good condition with no turnout, but it is a very different scene in the tri-state area.

The main boarding barn in our village was informal, and there was no segregation of disciplines. We had kids with Shetland ponies, to people who hunted, and a whole host of teens that did PC games/showjumping/XC and sometimes affiliated BSJA. The farm was 120 acres, with about 50 acres of that fenced off for group turnout.

I do enjoy spectating at the shows here, and admire the high level of turnout. There's definitely no clamped-out horseboxes and cobs with feathers, that's for sure

That sounds like a plan. I hear that Bedford has a nice trail network, too.
    BRLA (formerly PLA)
    http://www.bedfordweb.net/brla/index.html

I will soon be putting my late father's house on the market.
    It used to directly connect to the BRLA trails (one started accross from our driveway) but they have re-routed the Tanrackin trails and now you have to go 1/4 mile down the unpaved road (Guard Hill Rd) to connect into the trails.

There used to be lots of private barns that would take in one or two boarders. We did. I don't know if that is still the case.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

at what point we decided 1200 lb horses should occupy 24 square feet 20+ hours a day, and expect this to be so without detriment to their soundness, mental and internal health.
    Are people realy keeping horses in 24 square feet (8x3 or 6x4) 20+ hours a day.

A century ago a lot of horses lived in straight stalls, but I didn't think it was common these days.
    Janet

A century ago a lot of horses lived in straight stalls, but I didn't think it was common these days.
    LOL my bad for being terrible at math!!!!

what is 12x12?? hehe - sorry...i do think it's bad, but no it's not THAT bad.....

I've seen it, sadly, at some of the lesson places in the NY area. While the horses have been in good health and are well-schooled, my country bumpkin background makes me a little uncomfortable with a horse turned out only once or twice a week in a small sand paddock.

The police horses in Manhattan are obviously kept in close confines, but they are in full work, being ridden for several hours per day, and I imagine it doesn't phase the horses too much.

Quote Originally Posted by KristieBee View Post
    LOL my bad for being terrible at math!!!!

what is 12x12?? hehe - sorry...i do think it's bad, but no it's not THAT bad.....
    12 x 12 is 144
    Janet

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I've seen it, sadly, at some of the lesson places in the NY area. While the horses have been in good health and are well-schooled, my country bumpkin background makes me a little uncomfortable with a horse turned out only once or twice a week in a small sand paddock.

The police horses in Manhattan are obviously kept in close confines, but they are in full work, being ridden for several hours per day, and I imagine it doesn't phase the horses too much.
    Well, in urban areas obviously turnout is going to be limited, although I will say that the barns I rode at in Germany didn't turn their competition horses out much, either. They had tons of fields, so it wasn't for lack of space... but those were for mares and foals. Once a horse was brought in to work, they were stalled most of the time, and went out twice a day (once on the walker or treadmill, and once to be ridden/ schooled.) We did have open country to hack out on, though; we weren't always stuck in a ring.

Most show barns I've boarded at in the NE have had pretty decent turnout, although the amount of time the horses went out might be anywhere between 2-6 hours a day. Since my horse grew up in the above mentioned German system, he seems to be fine with anywhere from 2-4 hours although we've tried to get him to stay out longer. He definitely will let you know when he's had enough, though - he will walk the fence and if you continue to ignore him, he will just jump out and bring himself in, standing patiently next to his stall until someone opens the door for him.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

If you are considering a weekend place in the future and like the hunting/hacking life, do consider something near the Oblong Valley Trail Association (Pawling) or near the Litchfield Hounds (CT), Goldens Bridge Hounds (NY) or near the Millbrook Hunt (NY). Those will get you lots of great open space, active hunting and hacking locations, friends to ride with and a big choice of barns, and so forth. Bedford Lanes is supposed to be quite fabulous, though I find that close to the city the world is still far too built up and crowded and more expensive than necessary (though that depends on your tastes in fanciness!). Depends if you like your rural life to be really rural, or more suburban.

12 x 12 is 144
    thanks. math is so not a strong suit. obviously. thank heavens i learned to make a living in other ways!