The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

I am sorry eef. But it is not a persons opinion. Nothing has been said that is false and no accusations have been made. Funny there was enough TRUTH to make a Federal Court find them guilty???? I know ALL about this case. I hope they do rebuild their lives. In fact I just this week E-Mailed Kimberly Anderson the FBI Agent in charge and shared my opionion as a Trainer, Farm Owner and Agent. I hope they rebuild their lives far away from the tidewater area and In my opionion I hope they find new jobs in a different industry , and am encouraging everyone else I know, that knows this case, to do the same!

RNB is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

For those who have asked, yes, the records are public and can be obtained by calling or writing to United States District Court, Clerk of Court, 1000 E Main Street, Suite 305, Richmond, VA 23219 or calling 804-916-2230. Case# 3:03CR00424 Title&Section - 18:371 Offense- Conspiracy to commit fraud and swindle of livestock in interstate commerce. Senior Federal Judge Richard L. Williams.

bwf - No there have been no articles on this as of yet and yes there has been an interest in a book. According to the Dept. of Justice this was the first case of it's kind in the Federal Courts in the state of Virginia.

Timex, TWF & MHM - You are correct on all accounts.

eef - I would not disrespect the integrity of The Chronicle or intelligence of the readers of this board by stating false claims or accusations. You are obviously close to these two men since your post was the only one to mention the correct amount of time they received.

As one who was PERSONALLY affected by Josh and Keg, as well as their "accomplices" who were not named in the Federal Court case I can tell you, eef, that there is VERY little speculation about these two men. There is enough TRUTH in the cons they pulled that there is no reason to make it up.

I would also like to add that I approached the VPBA about the fraud that these men committed back in 2000 and nothing was done. In fact they were allowed to simply pull the false paperwork they filled with the group and continue to be members in good standing.

They were ALLOWED to get away with the things they pulled because the established horse groups let them.
    Sincerely:

Karen A. Fildes
    Caer Avallach Farm LLC - Breeders of Quality Hunter & Sport Ponies
    www.cafarm.com
    Ponyworld - The Online Resource for Pony Enthusiasts -
    www.ponyworld.net

Originally posted by eef:
    It is a continuing case of "He said She said"...
    These men have served their time and have lives to rebuild, and they deserve the opportunity to do that without being demeaned further.
    He said/she said doesn't usually result in jail time.
    If something is a matter of public record, then it isn't simply opinion.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

And you really think the horse business is a great place rehabilitate felons? You seriously believe that these people who have robbed and injured members of our sport should be welcomed home as prodigal children?

No wonder if that is so this business will never be a reputable sport. Put up a Welcome Sign on the cover of the Rule Book inviting all the convicted to join us in our personal playland. We welcome giving them the opportunity to steal our horses, sexually abuse our children, kill our horses and the horse's owners who have the audacity to complain.

Just FYI- you will have to come to Richmond to the clerks office if you want to read the case. A Westlaw search revealed no mention of the case (i.e.- it must be unreported).

eef,
    the first time I ever heard of Keg Berlin, was back in the early 90's. He had a couple of horses at the same training barn as my horses. Suffice it to say, I saw first hand what kind of person he was. It wasn't a matter of he said/she said. Over the years, he has left a long trail behind him in Virginia. In my opinion, 1 1/2 years was far less than he deserved.

You will get no support for either of them here. I do hope they are "rehabilitated" and they rebuild their lives very far from here, and preferrably not in the horse business.
    Reality is something you rise above -Liza Minnelli

I've put in for it to be copied and mailed to me... well part of it - it's HUGE from what they said. I'm getting the indictment, docket and judgment...

I'm more than happy to fax it to someone (as long as it's not illegal to do that!) once I get it... probably next week they guessed.

PT me if interested...
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken...

Just a footnote here...Josh Cardine and Keg Berlin entered a GUILTY PLEA to the charge of Conspiracy to Commit Fraud and Swindle of Livestock in Interstate Commerce in Federal Court,June 24,2004 RIchmond, VA. They were not convicted but decided not to face the court in the 76 charges associated with only three of their old "clients".

By the way, after 8 years and thousands of dollars in legal fees and court costs, Grande Impression is back home just where she belongs.
    Tradition of "Grande" Sporthorse Champions
    Couture Du Jour - Devon Winner '10 & '12 & PHSA Champ '10
    Grande Desire & Impression '08-10 PHSA Champs
    Grande Sovereign -CH & HB Sire

While I understand the logic of being able to settle a case by copping a plea, I find it very disconcerting.

It's not unlike Joe Plemmons admitting on ABC that he killed Helen Brach and then having his crime ignored. It seems to me that rather than make the investment of money costs, the government chooses sometimes to take the easy road even though a confirmed felon is going to turned loose again.

Here is a perfect example of two individuals who are not only stupid,but selfish as all get out! I pity the people who have helped them and continue to do so even know. ( And tso it seems there are some still left) These men need to be behind bars period. Inaddition, it is so sad and disrespectful that they were allowed to be part of an organization such as the VPBA even though they wronged themselves and others. Come on guys! Another example of what does protesting do anyways! I am so sad for all the kids who have been hurt by these jerks and all the adults who have been had. I know of more cases where they sold lame ponies, and never disclosed the fact! Labonne, I would be very interested to see the papers you have requested! Good, informative reading!

Original Poster

Having started this thread I wanted to pass along some information that may be of interest. Since I was one of their victims who was awarded restitution and spend the last 6+ years working with the FBI, US Attorneys and Federal Court system...I have copies of the court documents.

LaBonnieBon, speedy20 & smallfries ~ If you have any trouble getting copies please do not hesitate to get in touch with me. And no, it is not illegal to pass along the documents since they are now public record.

For anyone else that would like a copy or other information, please just PT me.

Ghazza ~ Well said!

kfildes ~ You have a PT on the way. I am truly sorry for whatever they did to you. You are not along in trying to file a complaint and I am not surprised nothing was done. There were MANY calls, letters, protests...to quite a few associations. The USEF, VHSA, Hunter Futurity and others were contacted to no avail. They do not want to be a "policing association" (their words). Myself and the other victims were in your shoes and can understand your frustration. No one wanted to stand up and say "No". It took the Federal Govt. to step in and hold them accountable.

lyrical & Snowbird ~ I agree they should have received more than 1.5 years, especially after what the FBI uncovered. However, since there are hardly any true equine laws it can be difficult to protect yourself in the horse industry, even with signed contracts, etc. When I was interviewed by the FBI they were truely amazed at the prices paid for performance horses/ponies. There are laws that cover your personal property (a boat) or livestock (cows) but horses really can't be lumped into either catagory. I would like to see a few equine laws that have some teeth, stronger sentencings for those who prey upon children and horses/ponies and some type of association we as horse people can contact when we need help. Perhaps a horse BBB?

This was the first case of it's kind in the Federal Courts in the Commonwealth of VA and the US Attorney has offered to speak before any horse organization that may be interested in hopes of stopping this from happening again. We know this may be an idle dream but it's a start and there now is a permanent record on file that individuals and the horse industry can refer to.

TWF ~ I don't even have to tell you how happy we all are you finally got Grande Impression back. You were in the trenches with us for the last 7 years and it was great being with you in court this past Sept. We only wish you didn't have to spend the amount of money you did to get her back. But like the rest of the wonderful horse people that have come together, you too stood up for what was right and didn't waver. My daughter and I feel blessed to be able to call you our friend and we're sorry we didn't get to join you in your "Thelma & Louise" adventure in the red hills of VA http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

FYI...there was a thread started by someone named ESP123 entitled VA TRAINERS who we all feel is eef. Interesting reading on that as well.

RNB:

Thank you for starting this thread. For many years I felt really angry at the horse establishment because I kept getting the message that no one really cared about these two and the crimes they were committing. We also went down the long and very expensive road of hiring a lawyer and sueing them both, along with the accomplices that helped them in our case. The legal fees were large and they happened to have a big shot lawyer from NY that road blocked us every chance he could (even though they ADMITTED to what they did to us). We ended up having to drop the case because the costs were just too high to bring it to any conclusion - and I was bitter about it for a long time. I am so glad to know that others had more resolve and that they were eventually tried and sent to prison.

I have no respect for anyone who defends these two. They exemplify the worst the horse business has to offer and given the chance they will do so again ... the minute they step foot out of prison.
    Sincerely:

Karen A. Fildes
    Caer Avallach Farm LLC - Breeders of Quality Hunter & Sport Ponies
    www.cafarm.com
    Ponyworld - The Online Resource for Pony Enthusiasts -
    www.ponyworld.net

It may be true that some in the horse industry will continue to do business with felons, despite their long history of dishonesty. However, there are still many of us who just won't go there. Personally, I won't do business with any who feels it's ok to continue to work with them either. We are judged by the company we keep for some very good reasons. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

I feel sorry for the innocent clients, and I will continue to warn anyone who asks, to stay as far away from them as possible and I have NO problem telling them why.
    Reality is something you rise above -Liza Minnelli

Well lyrical that is very true but I think we need to be more proactive and less reactive. Why not post a summary of the different scams and how they work to make people aware.

I feel badly when I know someone who wanted to be part of this world and then gets badly burned out and discouraged.

For example a tattoo may not be legitimate, may have been altered or it may be brand new on a look-a-like. Teeth can be filed to hide the real age of the horse.

Originally posted by kfildes:
    RNB:

Thank you for starting this thread. For many years I felt really angry at the horse establishment because I kept getting the message that no one really cared about these two and the crimes they were committing.

I agree it is time that the horse establishment ends it's hands off approach to deceptive individuals in cases involving the ownership of horses.

Grande Impression, was shown in the IHF with forged papers that required MY signature as the stallion owner. I warned the organization Keg would try this!!! He did...I was flabbergasted when I got a check for her winning! It never covered the bills I was stuck with for breeding that horse!
    The issue of ownership (or Title) of horses is seldom taken seriously...even in very strictly regulated organizations. Two of my approved mares disappeared from my farm; were bred and their foals presented to the breed organizations and foals BRANDED...with no proof of lease/ownership of the mare. This happen with the aid of persons very close to my farm. The agent was a "friend". No one was sanctioned for their deception. The recipients of the horses actually protested when I listed my MISSING mares on MY website!

Single voices, no matter how well prepared and factual...are seldom heard. We get the legal fees & months/years of work to recover our horses while the theft of use or ownership continues. There is no voice for the ordinary horse owners who follow the rules. Can we devise sanctions for errant members? How about the boot for those who don't think there is room for rules and ethics in this business!

DO you think the legal system will influence this industry? Don't count on it! You can be found negligent in the death of a horse by jury in Federal Court and named The Horseman of the Year ,by the powers that be, in the SAME year!

I rest my case.

Joan WattTellwynd - THE source for Reliable Champions
    Tradition of "Grande" Sporthorse Champions
    Couture Du Jour - Devon Winner '10 & '12 & PHSA Champ '10
    Grande Desire & Impression '08-10 PHSA Champs
    Grande Sovereign -CH & HB Sire

Originally posted by QueenMother:
    Was the FBI in prison or the horse in prison or the victim in prison or the defendants in prison? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif
    With your board name it isn't hard to understand why you think the grammar is the most pressing issue in this post.

It sure is nice to be able to get to what is essential in a question, isn't it?

You must be a real treasure to your friends. I hope when you are missing a horse you come across greater sympathy than that of which you are capable of expressing.

Originally posted by northplaza:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by QueenMother:
    Was the FBI in prison or the horse in prison or the victim in prison or the defendants in prison? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif
    With your board name it isn't hard to understand why you think the grammar is the most pressing issue in this post.

It sure is nice to be able to get to what is essential in a question, isn't it?

You must be a real treasure to your friends. I hope when you are missing a horse you come across greater sympathy than that of which you are capable of expressing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no idea who you are, but i loff you.

What I would like to understand is why there is such anxiety to enforce a code of ethics against people with minor rules infractions and why the Federation doesn't use it's authority against convicted felons and allows them to continue to do business at the smae places as they did when they scammed other members.

Should not the function of a Federation be to protect it's members and mainatain a fair and level competition field?

Original Poster

Snowbird......couldn't have said it better and I have been asking that same question for the last 6 years.