The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Default Federal Fraud Case

Having been a victim in the federal case United States v. Joshua Cardine and Kenneth Berlin Criminal No. 3:03CR00424, Eastern District of Virginia June 2004, I was wondering if there might be others who have not located their horse, not received money from sales, etc. The reason I feel there may be others, while serving time in federal prison this past year the FBI located a horse they did not disclose during court sentencing and which the breeder had never been paid.

Was the FBI in prison or the horse in prison or the victim in prison or the defendants in prison? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

the way i understand it, Joshua Cardine and Kenneth Berlin were essentially stealing horses, and were found guilty. While they were in prosin, the FBI found another horse that they had taken and not paid the breeder for. RNB, did i do ok? was your horse found?
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

I know someone that had a problem with those two. They have spent 6 years trying to do what was right! I am so sorry for those people that were involved in this case. It was very sad!!!!!
    I hope that it will not be able to ever happen again to anyone!

Okay, this is odd. I just googled the people in question and came up with this:

International Hunter Futurity Challenge Series 2001

Three Year Old Fillies

Second
    GRANDE IMPRESSION (GRANDE SABER/FIRST IMPRESSION) Ch, tb/wes, f, Owner: Keg Berlin, Breeder: Meadowbrook Manor, Handler: Josh Cardine

Now, wasn't there a post recently about trying to find a stolen horse also by Grande Saber? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

Can you point us to anything on-line about this case?
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Is there a link to a news story or something with more details? I've never heard about this, but obviously others have.

No there are no news articles on this. I have looked for them to. This case would make an amazing book. There were many involved and hurt by these two people. But be careful....there are many educated horse people that are blinded by the two of them and do not think they did any thing wrong. Even though they were found guilty in a federal court, some think they were not guilty.

So what was the gist of it? Did they take in sale horses and pocket all the money from the sales? Or most of the money?

From what I have been told I think that they did both! There were numerous people that were effected. I believe there will be a web-site soon about this case.

Is this a "published" case? I couldn't find anything online about it at all.

I only saw references on horse show results sites to a "Keg" Berlin. One and the same?
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

eef Guest

Individuals who do not know the truth should not be attempting to degrade or accuse these men further. They have been punished enough, get over it.

it's curious, i don't see anyone here trying to 'punish' anyone. which makes me wonder, why so defensive, eef? what sort of connection do you have to these guys? personally, i've never even heard of them, or the case.

I have never heard of any of it, but I would love to read the court findings, is it public?

Originally posted by MHM:
    So what was the gist of it? Did they take in sale horses and pocket all the money from the sales? Or most of the money?

MHM & SMS ..You are a good! I have friends at the FBI if yo ever want to change careers!

At the sentencing hearing held June 24, 2004, for Josh and Keg; Keg swore to the judge that he did not have any other horses. I was never convinced he sold the mare he called "The One". Her dam was brought to my farm to be bred in 1997. Once the mare was in foal, Keg came to my farm when I wasn't there, he left two no good checks, he took the mare and I was never paid.The mare as a yearling won the First Sallie Sexton Memorial Trophy at the Devon Horse Show in 1998. He avoided all legal attempts to make him pay his debt. The long and short of it is that Grande Impression was located, in March 2005, seized and sold by the court. As of September 28, 2005,I own the nice mare Grande Impression by order of Senior Federal Judge Richard L. Williams.

Keg Berlin is currently serving time in Federal prison.As one of his victims, I have notification regarding his disposition.

He has a long string of trusting pony moms and children.. I've met some of the kids..now young adults...that were cheated...they have no memories of ponies and ribbons ... Many kids never saw their ponies again. Some horses simply vanished.

If you know of ANY horse connected with Keg and Josh..contact me and I will be glad to call my friends at the FBI.
    Tradition of "Grande" Sporthorse Champions
    Couture Du Jour - Devon Winner '10 & '12 & PHSA Champ '10
    Grande Desire & Impression '08-10 PHSA Champs
    Grande Sovereign -CH & HB Sire

3 members found this post helpful.

eef Guest

Originally posted by Timex:
    it's curious, i don't see anyone here trying to 'punish' anyone. which makes me wonder, why so defensive, eef? what sort of connection do you have to these guys? personally, i've never even heard of them, or the case.
    By punished I refer to 1 1/2 years in federal prison, the courts did the punishing we need not continue the process. To Quote SC "Life is lived forward and understood backwards."

and how is anyone punishing them here??? you've got me confused...

Hey, I'm just curious about what they were actually charged with and sentenced for. That should be public record.

eef Guest

The opinions expressed are solely those of the authors and not those of the Chronicle of the Horse;
    There are a lot of accusations being thrown out here, many of which are false. These accusations are one or more person's opinions, and their personal views of things that they believe happened in the past, and are not based on true facts. It is a continuing case of "He said She said".
    These men have served their time and have lives to rebuild, and they deserve the opportunity to do that without being demeaned further.

I'm sorry, eef, but life is not fair. I have made much smaller mistakes/bad choices in my life than these 2 men and even tho I felt I had paid the "price"... you unfortunately still have a price to pay with the world.

Think about the "guy" or "gal" who went out and had a couple of beers after work.... then got in his/her car... and had a crash, killing someone. Ok, they pay the attorney fees, do time in jail, lose license, etc.... but still everyday some mother, father, spouse, sibling, etc has to wake up and know that someone killed their loved one by making a bad choice. That person will do much more "time" after they are out of jail.... it's just life and it's not always fair.

Not everyone sees things from the same view you do. Things affect everyone differently and I don't think people telling "their expierence" is wrong...and I don't see any real bashing going on here. Let's keep it that way and we can all be happy. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken...

FWIW, it's a federal case. Any member of the public can go to the federal courthouse for the Eastern District of Virginia (the address can be found online by Google or some other search engine) and fill out a form with the case number. The clerk can let you see anything that isn't filed under seal or being held in the judge's chambers for the judge to take action on. If you have a PACER account or Courtlink, you can access the docket sheet online and maybe even see the individual documents for a fee of 8 cents a page. You might be able to see them online in the clerk's office too.