The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default F-150 Ford, Will it tow ?

Need a new tow vehicle. I tow a bumper pull 2 +1 trailer-empty weight 4,100 lbs. Could potentially add 2500 pounds of pony to the trailer and equipment and tack trunks to the back of truck.

Currently pull with Excursion (wish they still made them) which is a F250 engine.

Thanks for advice
    Windswept Stables-Specializing in Ponies
    Sales, Breaking,Training,Showing, Stud Service

Home of 2008 Sire of Year Reserve Champion
    Pony Hunter Breeding - Empires Power

www.EmpiresPower.com

I haul a 4 horse Exis with an F150. It does OK, but hills are a real problem.

I would strongly suggest you save your pennies & go for the F250. I think you will be very disapointed otherwise

We hauled two horses in an old steel two horse trailer with dressing room for years locally without a problem. The problems started coming when we went at highway speeds or faced hills. The truck didn't have enough power to haul at highway speeds or up hills.

We broke down last year and bought an older f-350 diesel, crewcab, longbed dually for the trailer....and only the trailer. It was cheaper than buying a lighter trailer or a newer truck. It serves its purpose well.

Our f-150 just died last week. We drove it until the wheels fell off.....

The rearend broke in half....the axle-transfercase and housing......just broke. That truck was only 10 years old and 150k miles on it.....

Rest in Peace B.U.G. (big ugly green truck)!

4,100lbs empty weight is quite a lot. I used to tow a Merhow extra light, which was only a 2 horse BP with a dressing room that weight 3.500lbs empty with an F150 and then a Ram 1500 and it was pretty heavy and hard on the transmission, even with the OD switched on. I live in TX so have no idea what a "hill" is. I definitely knew when there were 2 horses in and going up the freeway ramps - seriously - I would be slowing right down.
    I swapped it out for another 2 horse Merhow which is only 1,700lbs and that is great on the truck. I think I would be reluctant to haul long distance or up hills with an F150 and an empty weight trailer of 4,100lbs.

You can never have enough truck, so you are better with more, rather than less.

Then, we still have our 1990 F150, 4x4 truck, gasoline and it still pulls fine our 16' steel gooseneck trailer with up to 4 horses or full of cattle.
    That truck has never had any problems.

We mostly only pull locally and thru the pastures and in our canyons, not in the mountains, but in the rare long trip on expressways it has done fine for us too.
    We added a 2007 F150, 4x4, 6 1/2' bed crew cab, gasoline and we have gone on two day trips, driving some 16 hours each day, pulling a 3 horse slant gooseneck with dressing room some and also others pulling our stock trailer and it pulls much better than the old one and we have now 50,000 miles on it and not one problem.
    The newer trucks are really more powerful.

We also pull at times a 18' gooseneck implement trailer with a larger skidloader and implements on it.

Now, because we have used an F150 for our uses without any problems, you need to see what you will do, where you will drive and then decide.

We will stay with the F150, because we are not on the road and hauling heavy all the time and for most other running around, the F150 is perfect for us, compared with the larger pickups.

I wouldn't do it with a 2+1 -- the length will lead to instability and sway and hills will be a struggle.

I would go with a 250 or larger. I admit I border on paranoia when it comes to safety, but I would never haul that trailer with an F-150. I don't care how loaded the 150 is. Sure, lots of people will tell you they pulled 6 horses with their F-150 across country, over hills, through the ocean, drove to Europe, whatever and their F-150 has 6 million miles on it and looks / runs brand new. That doesn't make it a good idea. Yes, I know not all 1/2 tons are created equal and all that --- but that's too little truck for that trailer, in my opinion. I would seriously worry about sway, stopping ability, hills, and stability should you get into any sort of trouble.

I pull a similar trailer - 2+1 GN with an empty weight of 4,500 lbs - with an F-350 dually. Now, you certainly don't need as much truck as I have for that trailer, but I would go with a 250 or larger truck for safety and for peace of mind.

A smaller, lighter 2H trailer or even a lighter, small stock trailer might be okay with the 150... but I don't think I would trust a 150 with a heavier 2+1 trailer.

For nearly 20 years I pulled my steel 2H BP ( loaded weight around 6500 lbs) with a 1990 shortbox F150 XLT Lariat. It had the Mustang 5L motor and the 4 speed overdrive autmoatic transmission and MOST IMPORTANTLY- the towing rear end with the lower gearing. Man, when not hauling the thing was a race car with those gears and took off like a skeert rabbit.

We beefed up the springs and shocks and added a tranny cooler and it went well over 250,000 kms before I sold it to a young guy last year who loved the look of it. ( we'd kept it covered and had it repainted about 6 years ago)

It laboured up steep hills when hauling fully loaded but never let us down, never felt unstable and the short box and short trailer meant we paid about $50 less for our ferry fare than a regular truck and trailer when we went to the big shows off island. Also very easy to manouvre and park.

So, with the right motor, transmission and gears, it can be done.

However, with prices for one tons Cheepcheep cheep right now, I'd be looking at a slightly older, used, low mileage F350 if I was you. We replaced the F150 with a 2005 F350. It gets as good fuel economy as the F150 used to ( 15 mpg hauling loaded, 18-20 mpg unloaded hwy), rides much nicer and can basically haul the Titanic out of the depths... ( but not so easy to park with the long box, crew cab, dually)
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

The engine isn't the main difference between an F150 and an F250--it's the axles/springs/transmission/etc.

My 1/2 ton truck (Dodge) has the same engine as the 3/4 ton version, but the payload and tow capacity is lower due to the structural differences.

The choice of F150 vs. F250 will also depend on what year and model you're talking about. For example, the 2010 F150s have some models with huge payload/towing capacities.

You need to check out the specs on a specific truck in order to make a decision.

I have an older F150 XLT. I tow a 16' stock trailer. I've never had any problems with sway, instability, or trouble stopping. I can only assume how people drive also may play a part in how safe the hauling is? I personally tend to drive gently when there are horses on board.

If you haven't bought the trailer yet, if it were me I'd keep looking for a lighter one. Yours seems on the heavy side. And by the time you add in the horses, hay, water, tack, and everything else.... that's alot of weight.

Exactly how much your F150 can tow depends: year, model of F150, engine, rear end gearing, & other options. Tell us more about the truck.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    I wouldn't do it with a 2+1 -- the length will lead to instability and sway and hills will be a struggle.
    I can see weight being an issue, but F150 vs 250? Wheelbase isn't going to vary, or I should say you can get an F150 that has as long a wheelbase as an F250, they do make them with the long beds...

A 2+1 BP? Now that is an interesting trailer, I do not believe I've ever seen one (3 horse slants, for sure, but 2+!...)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    I can see weight being an issue, but F150 vs 250? Wheelbase isn't going to vary, or I should say you can get an F150 that has as long a wheelbase as an F250, they do make them with the long beds...

A 2+1 BP? Now that is an interesting trailer, I do not believe I've ever seen one (3 horse slants, for sure, but 2+!...)
    2+1 would be my dream trailer. For what it is worth
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    2+1 would be my dream trailer. For what it is worth
    I think she was referring to the BP part of the description. I have a 2+1 GN, but I've never seen a BP version...

We have a new 2010. Just do your research! They all seem to say they are rated for towing 8500lbs +, but where you get into trouble is the vehicles GVW(think that's right). On some of the crew cab, tricked out trucks, the vehicle itself is so heavy that the payload is only 6-800lbs and that includes passengers, etc. So that doesn't leave you with a lot of room for tongue weight on a trailer or even a couple of bales hay in the back. Those numbers are posted on the driver's side door jamb.
    We bought one with the max tow package. Kind of nice because things are beefed up a bit for towing and it comes with all the wiring installed and brake control in the dash. We were careful about the truck as well, opting for the biggest engine, and extended cab over the crew and the FX4 over the lariat to save weight.
    Since it's our daily driver as well as towing the occasional boat or horse trailer we made compromises on both sides. Otherwise I would have gone for an F250 or 350 and been done with it!
    I have a 77 F-150 as well, and that thing can theoreticly carry and haul huge amounts. The catch with that is the opposite to the new ones, the truck is so light that you have to be careful the load won't push it around.

The F150 is definitely a good compromise if you only want one vehicle.

But after nearly 20 years with the F150, I opted to buy a second smaller car ( a SMART) and reserve the big F350 truck for hauling. We drive around 40,000 kms per year, so the savings in fuel over using the truck, actually paid for the SMART over 4 years. ( The thing gets up to 75 mpg).
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Well, what's the tow capacity for the F-150 package you would be buying?

(As for me, if I get a truck it'll be a Ranger supercab rated for 5k lbs, but our Brenderup only weighs 3000 lbs at most with the horse in it. We hauled with an E-series van but I don't like vans.)

I pull mine with a Ford Expedition, 5.9 engine with no problems.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    I think she was referring to the BP part of the description. I have a 2+1 GN, but I've never seen a BP version...
    Yup...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I haul my '98 all steel 2H BP with an '05 F-150. Fully loaded it's within the towing and payload limits posted for the truck, but I'm extra cautious with my braking distance. The rig has never given me cause to be cautious but I am, plus I think it's easier on the horses. The truck struggles most if I have to accelerate up a hill from under 45 mph. I usually have that problem when going through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel... for some reason people feel the need to SLOW DOWN when they're halfway through the thing which causes me to have to slow down, but to get back up the incline I have to accelerate... anyway, it's stresses the truck. We plan to drive this one until it dies on us, after that I want an F-250 with more towing capacity than the 150 and the option to upgrade my trailer to a 2+1 GN (plus DH wants a 5th wheel travel trailer).
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Yup...
    Riiiigggghhht. I've never seen a BP model like that either. Didn't even think it through (obviously).
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/