The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default equine dentist in lexington area?

Just rescued two Minis - bcs of 1 and about 1.5 - desperately need teeth checked/done. Does anyone know of an equine dentist in the lexington area that will work on Mini's?

Thanks
    "The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates

There's Gary Fluhr in Louisville. He does travel. I'm guessing he wouldn't have a problem with mini's since he also does zoo animals. He's wonderful- very quiet and gentle, uses hand tools, and only rarely feels the need to sedate.

Only problem is- I've misplaced his number. I know there's a couple other CoTHers that use him, hopefully one of them will chime in with contact info...

Thanks - I'll see if I can locate him. I also have a call into Rood and Riddle. Both girls have settled in nicely and are doing well, but of course they'll need a full check up too, and careful management - They're not only desperate for groceries, but for affection too.
    "The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates

You could try Jon Jazdzewski in Paris. He's awesome.

Dr. Tom Daugherty in Lexington is phenomenal. Not sure if he does minis, but dentistry is the only thing he does.

Blueboo, you have a PM.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

I've used Jon Jazdzewski for the last couple of years. In fact my horses are due for a float next month and I'll be giving him a call.

I really liked him and the cost was reasonable. Unless anything has changed since last year he only hand floats (with a speculum) though.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    There's Gary Fluhr in Louisville. He does travel. I'm guessing he wouldn't have a problem with mini's since he also does zoo animals. He's wonderful- very quiet and gentle, uses hand tools, and only rarely feels the need to sedate.

Only problem is- I've misplaced his number. I know there's a couple other CoTHers that use him, hopefully one of them will chime in with contact info...
    I also use Gary and quite like him. So do a lot of others I know. I have his number at home; PM me if you need it.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I was going to suggest Jon as well! He is wonderful with the horses and is reasonably prices too.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

What do you guys consider a reasonable price for a normal float?
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

I think Gary is $45 or $50, using no sedation...don't know if he charges extra for that; my mare has not needed it.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

We use Travis McVey at Park Equine (859) 744-4030. We liked him so much, we switched our vet care to Park.

Jon was $50 last year. My horses did not need sedation, I'm not even sure if he does sedate if needed, I've never asked him.

Does anyone have Jon's phone number? Sounds like he is good and I am new to the area and would like to try him. Thanks!

LauraKY sold me on Dr McVey as well. I had been using Dr Daugherty but my number for him no longer gets me a response.

Dr McVey did the old guy and the pony at home, used a perfect amount of sedation on the old guy, who was perky and grazing happily shortly after his float. Total cost for two plus fecals was right around $200, $220 and he had the fecal results back to me before the day was up. I haven't needed to use him again, knock on wood, but wouldn't hesitate to refer him.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

BestView, you have a PM

I use Woodrow friend from rood and riddle. Has done an excellent job on my guys. Does power float but that is my preference for the performance guys. Basic float for the broodmares unless needed otherwise. We had a guy that boarded with us for a while Jay (can't think of his last name) that was an equine dentist that many peoples spoke well of