The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has anyone here compared the Custom Advantage to the Wolfgang Solo?

Just curious. I've ridden in the BO's Advantage..she has the custom made one with buffalo leather...REALLY like it.

I keep hearing that the Solo...sucks you in the saddle (I've got a big mover now).

I'm going to eventually get a new saddle...can anyone, who has ridden in both, comment on what they found different between the two?

The Wolfgang model that has my interest is the Vienna model.

I have ridden in both, I generally like the 'newer' Custom Saddlery including Advantage and Solo.

My advice would be to see what Custom has available used, and just try everything out for fit for you & your horse, maybe send them a wither tracing. Also try to listen to what your horse tells you!

There are SO MANY saddle fit threads on coth about specific saddles (I too am guilty, who doesn't love to accessorize?), but more and more it becomes totally evident to me that every saddle 'rides' a little different on each horse, and you just have to find a combo you like and are comfortable in. Also, people always overestimate the resale value of a newer saddle, so I would suggest only buying something used in case it doesn't work out in the end. My taste for saddles is always changing the more I ride and learn.
    "Capture the horse's confidence to obtain his consent." -General L'Hotte

I tried the Advantage and Wolfgang Solo short block on my narrow, bouncy Trak. Picked the Wolfgang. I felt like I was balanced in the Advantage, but couldn't explain why and wasn't sure if it would translate if I ever rode in it on another horse. The Wolfgang felt like I was just there and could feel that it fit me and had all the right angles - like I could put it on any horse and ride well. Everyone on the ground noticed I rode the best in the Wolfgang.

I've ridden in the Custom Advantage and the Woflgang Solo. I much prefered the Custom Advantage. I felt very secure in the deep seat but not at all restricted. The Wolfgang Solo pushed my legs back into a very uncomfortable position and I felt forced into place. Didn't like it at all.

What you should do though, is contact Custom Saddlery. They will fit both saddles to you and your horse and give you a 10 day trial period to ride them in. Then you and your trainer can make a better decision based on "your" preferences. Good luck.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

My Custom fitter came out this spring and literally let me ride in every model. She was fabulous. I found all of the Wolfgang line models very uncomfortable- just didn't sit me right. However, I was very happy in several of the Custom line models and one of the Icon line models.

I got the call yesterday that my Custom Everest is shipping today and I'm very excited to get my hands on it. I've been riding in a demo Custom Laguna for the last two months while my Everest was being made, and I've been very happy with that saddle as well, despite the slightly more open seat. I was also happy in the Custom Advantage and the Icon Coda. It was a tough choice (although that was a welcome change after working with fitters of two other brands and not really liking anything).

Custom saddlery is so easy to work with, I tried lots of their saddles, and they shipped more to try. I have the Wolfgang solo, it fit the horse and me best. I had Cary (one of the owners) do some more customizing- he put movable stirrup bars on it and I sit so much better when I can move the stirrup back just a little bit (center hole on the adjustable bars). No explaination as to why it is better, but it is.

I tried both of those saddles last year. I loved the Solo, but it didn't exactly fit my horse (this was a used buffalo model) and so I hesitated to buy it, and then the horse became lame shortly thereafter so I ended up not buying a new saddle. But I felt like I had come home in that saddle and that it really improved my ability to sit the trot.

The Advantage was an off-the-shelf model and I am tall with long legs, so I didn't really like the short flaps.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Thanks guys....I plan to try them both. But it will be several months before I have the money saved up to purchase one....so just doing some internet research while I sit and wait.

I've got a little flat Baines Capriole and I slide all over the place when I try to ride the warmblood. It's like I cannot find my balance in it. Don't have that problem when I use it on a TB...but doesn't work with the bigger gaits of a warmblood.

What was everyone's experience that ordered a Custom? How long did it take to get your saddle after ordering? Did the saddle fit your horse well? Etc?

I'll tell you this week, but I expect it will be great. My horse is absolutely loving the demo they fit for him while I waited. My fitting appointment was 9 weeks ago, and it took me one week to decide which model to order- so 8 weeks total. I was prepared for a 10-12 week wait, so early was a nice surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitolDesign View Post
    What was everyone's experience that ordered a Custom? How long did it take to get your saddle after ordering? Did the saddle fit your horse well? Etc?
    I highly recommend Custom Saddlery. Fred (East Coast) is wonderful with which to work, and can fit very difficult horses!!!! I wouldn't hesitate to order buy another saddle from him .
    It is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I'll tell you this week, but I expect it will be great. My horse is absolutely loving the demo they fit for him while I waited. My fitting appointment was 9 weeks ago, and it took me one week to decide which model to order- so 8 weeks total. I was prepared for a 10-12 week wait, so early was a nice surprise.
    You were able to keep a demo while you waited? Who did you order your saddle from?

I had the Peter's Advantage (back when there really wasn't a difference between the off-the-shelf and the custom version, both buffalo, etc.) and I LOVED that saddle. Fantastic on my 16'2" TB.

Tried it on a 16'2" KWPN gelding (old-fashioned style horse) and the saddle technically fit him ok, but I HATED it. Wasn't comfortable on him at all (for me).

So I think it really depends. Try them both (or all). I wouldn't hesitate to get a Custom Saddlery saddle though.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

You were able to keep a demo while you waited? Who did you order your saddle from?
    I'm working with Tracie Montgomery (http://www.hudsonvalleysaddler.com), and yes- she fitted the demo and left it with me after our initial visit. I'll give it back when she comes out to fit my new saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I'm working with Tracie Montgomery (http://www.hudsonvalleysaddler.com), and yes- she fitted the demo and left it with me after our initial visit. I'll give it back when she comes out to fit my new saddle.
    From what I heard others say that used her here in Michigan... you're VERY lucky to have her in NY now! She sounds FABULOUS and extremely easy to work with!
    *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
    My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

I ordered my Wolfgang Solo at the end of March. After it was delayed, due to a back-order on the higher tree I needed, the fitter came out again and retraced him. It is now 7/13 and still no saddle

They were sorry when I talked with them on the phone and they are giving me a pair of DSB boots for my trouble. However, if it ships this Friday, as promised, it will get here next week. That makes the wait = 18 weeks or 4.5 months! 6 weeks or 1.5 months after the max they promised.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I ordered my Wolfgang Solo at the end of March. After it was delayed, due to a back-order on the higher tree I needed, the fitter came out again and retraced him. It is now 7/13 and still no saddle

They were sorry when I talked with them on the phone and they are giving me a pair of DSB boots for my trouble. However, if it ships this Friday, as promised, it will get here next week. That makes the wait = 18 weeks or 4.5 months! 6 weeks or 1.5 months after the max they promised.

Has this happened to anyone else?
    When I ordered my jumping saddle, it was many months past the expected date (I think they originally told me should be two weeks, eight weeks max), and it was also not the leather I had ordered (I never bothered even telling them about the leather, because it was so many months to receive the saddle, I didn't want to possibly wait that much longer, and it wasn't a big deal to me). But they handled the situation to my satisfaction, and I would not hesitate to buy another saddle from them.
    It is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Be sure you're VERY happy with the fit, and whoever is doing the fitting. A friend had nothing but problems with hers, and I've seen a few others that seemed to have a lot of movement in the panels.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I have an Advantage. I tried the Solo first, but found the external thigh blocks were just too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by onetempies View Post
    From what I heard others say that used her here in Michigan... you're VERY lucky to have her in NY now! She sounds FABULOUS and extremely easy to work with!
    She is fabulous! My saddle got here 8.5 weeks after she put in my order, and it is exactly as ordered. I rode in it for the first time today and couldn't be happier.