The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How long do you wait for a return call?

So my horse needs to have the chiropractor out again and my trainer discovered this new great one and gave us her number. My Mom tried calling her and waited three days before having me get the number of a woman at our barn's chiropractor. Well the first chiropractor called back and left a message saying she might be able to come out this Wednesday so Mom called her back on this past Wednesday. We still have not heard back from her. I went and placed a call to the other chiropractor today but I feel kind of bad about it.

How long do you normally wait for someone to call you back? Is three days reasonable?
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

I totally trust and love my horse chiro and have waited weeks to schedule an appointment.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

If a horse needs a chiro, he may be in discomfort/pain. I'd rather give my business to someone who takes my horse's discomfort seriously. My request to them: At least call me back to let me know you got the message, even if you can't find an opening in your schedule for 2 weeks.

You may want to leave a 2nd message to give her the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes messages are garbled. I know one problem I have is when people leave me a message using their cellphone: if they have weak reception, I may only get bits and pieces of their name and phone number. I can't call you back if I only have half the digits.

Being self-employed (both a horse- and a non-horse business), I make a point to return calls and emails within 24 hours (excepting planned time off, in which case an automated response goes out stating WHEN I will begin returning calls). I tend to judge pretty harshly service providers who cannot at least provide some sort of response within 48 hours. Everyone is busy, everyone is strapped for time, but it's just good business practice to acknowledge calls from clients and potential clients quickly, even if it is just "Got your call, will call back by XXX to schedule; appointments are being made 3 weeks out at this time."

However, as May S noted, you might give a second call just in case there was a technical difficulty.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by coloredhorse View Post
    Being self-employed (both a horse- and a non-horse business), I make a point to return calls and emails within 24 hours (excepting planned time off, in which case an automated response goes out stating WHEN I will begin returning calls). I tend to judge pretty harshly service providers who cannot at least provide some sort of response within 48 hours. Everyone is busy, everyone is strapped for time, but it's just good business practice to acknowledge calls from clients and potential clients quickly, even if it is just "Got your call, will call back by XXX to schedule; appointments are being made 3 weeks out at this time."

However, as May S noted, you might give a second call just in case there was a technical difficulty.
    This.

I'm a business owner, working in health care. I call my clients back within 24 hours, always, unless I'm away in which case there is a message stating when I will be available to return calls. Usually I just forward to my cell and take my planner with me so I can book for when I will be returning.

If I don't get a call back in 48 hours I move on.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I forgot to mention, we did put in a second call on day 2 the first time. I guess that's why I thought it was odd. I know as a college student I'm used to having my phone with me 24/7 and always return messages as soon as possible but I didn't know what to expect from professionals. I know I can sometimes wait a week before hearing back from my adviser so just wanted to see what seemed a reasonable amount of time.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Equine professionals are notoriously poor communicators, in my experience. I have no idea why. It would not necessarily surprise me to not hear back from an equine chiropractor for a week or so. It's poor business, and it would annoy me, but not surprise me.

If the professional in question is good enough that I am willing to wait or otherwise deal with poor communication, then I would just live with it. If they are not spectacular, I would find someone who is good AND will communicate with me in a timely fashion.

The lesson in this is that if you find an equine professional of any kind who is both great at what they do AND a good communicator, you hang on and never, ever let go if you don't have to. Don't even allow that person to retire.

It's definitely a sign of someone who doesn't really need your business.

Remember that Dave Barry book, about the contractor's business card:
    J. Smith and Sons, Remodeling
    Our Motto: We Never Show Up

I went through this a year ago with the chiro my vet recommended. She called back several days later, we chatted, she said she would call me back that evening when she had her schedule in front of her. When it had been 3 or 4 more days, I found someone else, called and scheduled with him, and hauled my horse to his place the following day. The first woman called my phone back that night and left a message saying she was just calling to schedule an appointment with me.

I'm glad I went to the other guy, since the adjustment held with one visit. A year later, the mare is just now needing to go back for another adjustment. He also spent an hour and a half with her, did accupressure with a cold laser, and was very professional and educated.

So yeah, unless this chiro is THE BEST and everyone else in your area sucks, then find someone else.

I had a similar situation with a professional I've used loyally for the past 10 yrs. It usually takes a month to get an appointment scheduled, and I'm used to that. This is how it went down:

Voicemail... Hi, X? It's Me ---. Time for his annual. We board in X town near Route Y & Z. Let me know when you can squeeze us in.

A week later, same thing. No response..

Four days after that, I left another message, saying the same thing, but added if the schedule was too tight to fit us in sometime within the next 2 weeks to let me know that, too.

Two days after that, I received a message saying there was an opening in another week, but at my previous boarding facility. Of course my original message stating my new location had long since been forgotten. I left a message back FIVE minutes later saying I was no longer at that boarding facility, or even county, and if I didn't hear back within 72 hours I was going to go with someone else.

Since I never heard back, I went with the new person. Who said my original choice was 'having trouble returning calls'. No longer my problem.. I figured 3+ weeks to MAKE an appointment (not to accomplish the service, mind you) spoke to how much my business of 10+ years -- and countless recommendations later-- were valued.

FYI - for a joint horse and human chiro appointment / consult it took weeks to schedule due the amoiunt of time it requried. For specific issues or immediate need - he responds very quickly. All depends on what is being done - routine vist or serious issue. So far my horse falls under routine. Me on the other hand - my body is a walking disaster.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

I expect my calls to be returned within 24 hours and that's the way we do business as well. We don't even have a landline... our entire business is run off of cell phones that go with us everywhere. The only time you won't get us immediately is if we're at dinner or busy with something. We usually call back within an hour or two at most, though sometimes it does take a bit longer than that if we need to get to a computer.

Three days is too long. I understand things happen (garbled messages, family emergencies, etc.) but even then there's caller id, etc. If I don't hear from someone within 24 hours that I really want to use I call them again. If I still don't hear from them another 24 hours later I go elsewhere.