The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stable recommendation in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Chesapeake Area

Hi Everyone,

I just bought my first horse as an adult and I am moving to Norfolk, Va in about a month. I was hoping you could point me in the direction of a great stable. (I did do a search, but there was not a lot of response. I was hoping there would be more information )

I am an Eventer wannabe. Just really started to learn to jump last summer. I would like to find an eventing instructor, but I do not think it is a big eventing area. My second choice would be a Hunter barn with an instructor that knows a little dressage. However, a great instructor is good no matter what the discipline. I will not have a trailer, so they need to be on location.

I would also prefer a low drama barn with some adult students/riders. I do not care if the barn is new and shinny or not so new and shinny as long as the care of the horses comes first.

Also if you know of barns/instructors to avoid, please PM me.

Thank you for your help in advance. I am going to post this in the eventing and hunter/jumper discussion boards.

Please feel free to check out my barn. I'm in Suffolk...a bit farther out...but our rates are reasonable, we will take care of your horse like he's our own, and we are very low drama. ;-) Our facility has all the amenities also. I'm also an old event rider and willing to help you out as you get started. You will find this area is a black hole for eventing...not much going on unfortunately.

My website is in my sig block. Send me a pm or email if you have questions. Welcome to the area. :-)

I actually did think about your farm. I visited your site one time when you were talking about your horses. If we were going to live closer, I would consider it. My apartment is going to be by the Norfolk Airport. I had to compromise on location with my soon to be husband because he sometimes has to go to the ship yards in Newport News. He is in the Navy. I am hoping to find a full time job and the more driving time mean less time riding.

I understand. My location is tough for many folks. I wish I could suggest a good place but I don't know that area all that well. I do most of my trimming work in Suffolk or near Smithfield area. I can tell you that anything in VA Beach area is going to be pricey. I know of a share board barn in Chesapeake but it would probably be a good half hour from where you'll be not counting fighting traffic which is going to be inevitable.

You couldn't pay me to live in the city but I understand the commute can be a killer. My husband actually drives from our farm to Yorktown daily...takes him 50 minutes one way.

Good luck.

Many good barns in that area. See my post over on your duplicate thread in H/J land....
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Thank you!