The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Half lease agreement...anyone have one handy?

Looking for a half lease agreement. So far I'm only finding full lease contracts online. Hoping someone here has one they can PM me or direct me to...Thank you!

They have partial lease agreements here:

You do have to pay for them, but they are well written. I've used a lease one and a purchase one from them. HTH!

Out of the loop

FlyGen, I have part-leased horses several times using a painfully detailed contract that I developed and had an attorney review. Drop me a PM with your email and I am happy to share it with you.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

My very own sliver of heaven.

This is my standard contract. Is it overkill? Probably. But I like to protect my ASSets if you know what I mean Hope this helps you Excuse the formatting...if you copy and paste it into word, it should work fine!

This agreement is entered into this day, ___________, 2010 and shall be effective through ___________, 20__ between ______________________(Lessee's name), who shall be known as the Lessee, and _________________ (Lessor's name), who shall be known as the Lessor. subject to the following terms of this Agreement; and Whereas, Lessee warrants that she agrees to lease said Horse as identified below, herein referred to as “Horse”;

Name: ________________ DOB: ________ Sex: __________
    Color: ________________ Breed: _______________ USEF No#: ________________

and is subject to the following terms and conditions the parties agree as follows:

1) Statement of Applicable Use

The Lessee is agreeing to care for and maintain the Horse in exchange for use of the animal for the purpose of riding _____________ days per week.

2) Terms and Conditions

The following terms and conditions shall apply for the length of the lease. The Lessee agrees to hold the Lessor harmless for any act of negligence of the Lessee or any of her agents, contractors, or employees, or arising from any incident, injury, or damage whatsoever however caused to any person or persons, or the property of any person, persons, or corporations occurring during such term of the lease and arising out of the use or care of said Horse.

3) Purchase Clause

Should the animal become for sale during the term of the lease, and a legitimate offer is made on the Horse by a third party, the Lessee shall have the right to match the offer and assume ownership of the animal before any other offers would be accepted. If the Lessee forfeits the right of purchase the lease shall be considered terminated immediately upon forfeiture or within 5 business days of the offer whichever comes first.

4) Ownership

The animal included in this lease shall remain the sole property of Lessor and the Lessee shall have no right, title, or loan to any other party of said animal.

5) Stabling

(Stable name and address)__________________________________________ ___________________ is to be considered the principle home stable during the term of this lease, but permission may be granted for temporary stabling at other locations for the purpose of showing, but prior approval must be obtained from the Lessor to change the principle home stable.

6) Care and Maintenance

The Lessee shall use proper care and good judgment in maintaining and training said animal in quality show condition or as close to when lease began. With Lessee responsible for half of all expenses during lease time including boarding, farrier, insurance, supplements and veterinary bills. Any show expenses or transportation expenses incurred as a result of showing shall be the full responsibility of the Lessee unless the Lessor also participates with said Horse at the same show; in this case transportation costs would be divided equally between the Lessee and the Lessor. All fees, bills, etc. incurred by the Lessee in relationship to use, care or showing of the Horse shall be considered personal bills of Lessee and in no way can be considered a lien on this animal, with the boarding facility, and others notified to this contract.

Initials: Lessor___ Lessee_____

The Lessee shall only use tack approved by the Lessor, including but not limited to – saddle, bridle(s), pads, bits, boots, girths, and blankets. The tack/equipment belonging to the Lessor shall be maintained in the original condition or as close to as reasonably possible. Tack cleaning supplies will be provided by the Lessor in order to insure that only approved products are used. The tack must be cleaned and properly stored after each use. Any changes in tack, either suggested by the Lessee or by the (Name of stable) _____________________ staff while the Horse is in the care of the Lessee must be approved by the Lessor before use. Questions regarding these stipulations at any time may be directed to the Lessor.

7) Termination

This lease may be terminated by either party for any reason with 30 (thirty) days notice given in writing. Should the Lessor terminate the lease for the purpose of sale of the Horse, the Lessor will return any unused portion of the lease fee in the month the sale occurs should any be owed to the Lessee. If 30 days notice is not provided, the Lessor shall retain any funds paid for the current month’s lease and requires payment equivalent to 15 days use of the Horse.

8) Lease Payment Fee

Lessee shall pay to Lessor a fee in the amount of half of all monthly expenses (including board, shoeing, supplements, insurance premium, and any veterinary bills incurred during Lessees agreed period of use. Cost of general veterinary care will be divided equally among both parties), payable on the _________ of each month beginning _______________2010. The total lease fee of ______________ may be paid in full at the initiation of this contract or monthly in the amount of ___________ per month.

9) Agreement

This Agreement constitutes the entire Agreement between the parties. Any modifications or additions must be in writing and signed by all parties to this Agreement. No oral modifications will be considered part of this agreement unless reduced to writing and signed by all parties.

10) Assignment or Transfer

This Agreement shall not be assigned or transferred by either party hereto without the prior written consent of the other party. Any such assignment or transfer shall be set forth in writing, dated, and signed by the parties hereto and attached hereto.

11) Applicable Law

This Agreement shall be governed by and constructed in accordance with the laws of the (State)_________________. Any and all disputes arising out of this lease shall be adjudicated in the (State)___________________. In the event of any action or proceeding to declare or enforce the terms of this lease, the Lessor shall be entitled to recover reasonable attorney’s fees and other costs from the Lessse in addition to other relief that may also be granted.

Initials: Lessor___ Lessee_____

12) Insurance

The estimated value of the said animal is $____________ and is insured against death for the estimated amount. If for any reason said animal must be put down, the Lessor shall accept the insurance as adequate compensation and hold no further claims against the Lessee. In the above situation proper veterinary care must be utilized and the Lessor must be notified immediately if injury, illness or death occurs to the Horse while under the care and control of the Lessee.

13) Default

Upon material breach of this agreement by one party, the other party may terminate same; provided, however, notice of said material breach is sent certified mail to the party in breach setting forth said breach. Upon material breach of this agreement, Lessor reserves the right to remove such Horse from the care of the Lessee without incurring any additional responsibility to Lessee.. In the case of a default by one party, the other party shall have the right to recover mediation, arbitration, attorney fees and costs incurred as a result of said default.

No modification of this lease shall be binding unless in writing. I have read the foregoing and agree to the conditions as specified.

Owner/Lessor: _______________________________________________
    Address: __________________________________________________ __
    City: _____________________ State: _______ Zip: _________________
    Home Phone:___________________ Cell Phone:____________________
    E-Mail: ___________________________________

Print Name: __________________________________

Lessee: __________________________________________________ _______
    Address: __________________________________________________ ______
    City: _____________________ State: ______ Zip: _____________________
    Home Phone: ___________________ Cell Phone: _______________________
    E-Mail: _____________________________________

Signature: ___________________________________
    Print Name:__________________________________
    Date: _______________________2010

The parent/guardian should also sign here for Lessee(s) under 18 years of age.
    Parent/Guardian Signature: ______________________________
    Print Parent/Guardian Name:_____________________________
    Parent/Guardian Home Phone: ____________________ Cell Phone: _____________________________
    Date: _______________________2010
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.