The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default So if you're not a Dressage Queen, and you're not a Hunter Princess... what are you?

This thought occurred to me yesterday as I was sending a link of a tastefully blingy ribbon browband that I think I need to my good friend. Said good friend, though she owns a jumper-turning-eventer, is a dyed-in-the-wool Hunter Princess (though to her credit, she has a little redneck in her, too!). She's even going "Hunter Princess"-esque with her XC turnout.

Another good friend of mine is about as close as anyone I know to being a Dressage Queen (in a good way... and she's got Appys).

But me - I'm... well, I don't know WHAT I am!!! My reasoning for needing said browband is because I'm NOT a Hunter Princess, so I could definitely pull it off XC. And I'm definitely not a Dressage Queen. I would say I'm a Jill Of All Trades, but that implies that I do a lot of things without being very good at any of them This is clearly NOT the case - I am only un-good at MOST of them!

In all seriousness, my horses and I do hunters, jumpers, dressage, eventing*, hunter pleasure, trail riding, and carriage driving, and we're half-way decent at all of them....

SO WHAT AM I?!?!?!? (Besides a Morgan rider, lol)

*In training
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

crazy horse woman?

I think that, the larger our knowledge and experience gets, the less drama we want, the more humble we become about who we may be as horsemen and how good we may be or want others to think we are.

Horses have a way to humble us, all of us.
    The more someone toots their own horn, as I see some "professionals" do in their "about me" pages in their web sites, the more I guess they just didn't get as far or are as good as they want to think, or want others to believe.

I have yet to know a top professional that is not humble about their abilities, yes, even godlike GM.

The more you know, the more you know what you don't know applies especially to horses.

People with certain attitudes about their horse endeavors, be it Hunter Princess or Dressage Queen, are inherently suspect as how good they really may be.

I like to refer to myself a dressage redneck.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

A Riding Enthusiast?

Also as Queen and Princess are part of the Royal Court and Queen is in a deck of cards it makes sense to include "Jumping Jester" as well as "Jumping Joker" as possible labels.

I'm an Eventer

I don't know about you but I am the schizznit! And I haven't even ridden in a couple years.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

So if you're not a Dressage Queen, and you're not a Hunter Princess... what are you?

I am.....Managed by Horses.
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

What Bluey said. To a tee.

I am neither a DQ, nor a HP, but as my husband likes to say, I am a SLAVE.

And no, I'm not his slave so no need for anyone to get their royal panties in a twist He always says that he knows who's in charge in this household, and it sure as heck ain't him or me!

The bosses around here all have four legs

I've done some hunter/jumper and some dressage, but not enough to declare myself anything close to a "princess" or a "queen." In those disciplines, I think the best I could muster would be the "court jester." There's certainly no grace or beauty in my riding style.

So, I'm a down-to-earth, bug-bitten, dirty-jeaned, muddy-booted, twigs-in-my-hair, tick-checking, briar-scraped mutt of a trail rider.

My horse wears an English bridle (which I attached western star conchos to, at each side of the browband, just cause they were "purdy"), with a Robart's gaited horse bit and 7.5' split reins. His saddle is what would be considered "Western endurance."

He's still the best-groomed, most well-mannered and probably most-spoiled horse in the barn. . .but he's "just" a trail horse.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

I am a Dabbler, much to my trainers irritation. I like eventing, I practice dressage, go to some hunter shows, enjoy hacking, would love to learn polo and saddleseat and just enjoy riding, for the most part. I have no desire to settle on one thing and I am OK with not excelling at any. I do this for fun!

I was always a Barn Rat. I grew up riding hunters, but had nowhere near enough money in the bank to be a Hunter Princess
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    I am a Dabbler, much to my trainers irritation. I like eventing, I practice dressage, go to some hunter shows, enjoy hacking, would love to learn polo and saddleseat and just enjoy riding, for the most part. I have no desire to settle on one thing and I am OK with not excelling at any. I do this for fun!
    Oh yeah, that's me. The huntseat trainer I used to lesson with was glad to see me go. The dressage clinicians tell me I need to get serious. Why? All I really want to do is ride well enough to have fun wherever I am. And that "wherever" might be a show or a trail ride.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

UNIVERSAL.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

"Normal" .. ha ha

DD is a dressage princess trying to convince her x - western princess mamma to let her be a jumper diva (not happening anytime soon). Having been off for ten years I am just now trying to get back into riding and would really like to do endurance. I was a Western Princess but never a queen.(not old enough or good enough.)
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Jumper Junkie.

And having fun learning to be a...well...what the heck do you call a female riding western that doesn't own any cows? Well, basically putzing around western on ranch horses whilst singing Happy Trails badly off key...trail rider I guess. Even if I don't just trail ride. Of course I'm not sure what the hell else I'm doing either. I'll stick with Moron In The Tack for now.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I'm a timid riding, dabbling, barn-rat adult re-rider who knows just enough to keep me in financial trouble and drive my trainers nuts. However, I have become the 'groundwork queen'.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/