The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Enablers Wanted! Tack shopping

Some of my boarding barn friends and I are in need of a shopping road trip to buy tack. We live in Knoxville and are sadly lacking in Tack Stores. We would like to hit the best selection for our drive (which is sure to be around 3 hours the best I can figure).

Please enablers speak out on your best suggestion for our road trip. Some of the items we need: cc saddle, breeches, blankets, coolers, boots, saddle pads, show clothes etc.

Should we go to?

*Dover in GA
    *Farmhouse Tack in SC
    *Dover in VA
    *anywhere in Nashville?

Oh the fun!

Default Bump?

Bumping up for the tack enablers.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Is Ohio too far away? Cincinnati has two GREAT tack stores.

Tack Trunk: http://www.tacktrunkoh.com/

It's a very nice store, with a few great sales. I got a joules pull over and a TS coolmax show shirt for a little less than $100.

They also have a basement dedicated to saddles. One long wall is CCs and All purpose, and the short wall is dressage. There are a lot of used saddles that aren't on the website.

McCauley's: http://www.mccauleysaddlery.com/

Not too much in the way of saddles, but they have a dozen used ones. They also have good sales, I got Ariat Paddock boots for $80

The staff also really know their stuff.

If you go to Nati, you pass through Lexington, which is obiviously a really goof stop.
    Mel

hmmm that's about 3 hours also. Would you consider both of these stores worthy of a 3 hour drive? Thanks for the info!

Come on up to Central NJ and we'll show you a good tack store hopping time!

We have (within an hour, if they are all still there)
    Bevals
    Dover
    Horseman's Outlet
    Coach Stop
    JPs western
    Euro American
    S&S Tack
    Ricks Heritage

and more

Well, The Farmhouse did have a bunch of stuff out front on sale the other day. Perhaps you should call and find out what they've got on sale to see if it's worth the drive.

Along with Dover in Alpharetta, GA, you have the Snooty Fox http://snootyfox.net/index.php, and Atlanta Saddlery. There may be some more. I take it EquiKnox was a little limited.. have not been there in forever.

Happy shopping!

Oh don't tempt me with all the tack stores in the NJ area! That is really just a smig too far for this road trip. lol! Does sound nice though!

EquiKnox is really low in choices. Lots of show clothes but that is far down on our lists.

I am leaning toward Farmhouse due to their selection of used saddles. I've never been there so I'm wondering: Should we call and give them an idea of what we're looking for to make sure they have items in stock? Or do they generally have a good selection of "everything"?

Oh and THANK YOU to all enablers so far!

Quote Originally Posted by chebeau View Post
    Along with Dover in Alpharetta, GA, you have the Snooty Fox http://snootyfox.net/index.php, and Atlanta Saddlery. There may be some more. I take it EquiKnox was a little limited.. have not been there in forever.

Happy shopping!
    hmmm I think the Snooty Fox looks NOT so snooty! lol. Isn't there another large tack shop in that area? Horsecity or something?

You should come to Virginia! You've got Dover, Saddlery Liquidators, Middleburg Tack Exchange and if you time it right, hit VTO Saddlery's semi-annual sale next week.