The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A heartwarming update on Hiccup

Hey all, I wanted to give you an update on Miss Hiccup. It's been about a month since she arrived. Yes, I will try to get photos and post them on my facebook page or if someone can post them here for me. I will have to have my younger daughter help me.

Miss Hiccup has adjusted beautifully. She's gain a lot of weight and is just about to the point of needing to be cut back on grain-we feed Blue Seal Versatility. She is shy in the herd-she's now in with another mare(the boss) and a gelding. Shadow sadly left for his new farm over this past weekend, so at the moment she's "odd man out". But not to worry, this gives more lovin' time from me.

She will however be moved shortly to the broodmare pasture b/c we are going to work on her pasture (Maintenance and moving fence). As she has healed, she still has that waddle but is getting better. I can tell there is something NQR with her back end now so I will break her out to drive and she will become on of our therapeutic driving horses. Now I just have to get a harness and cart to fit her.

Thankfully she's about the same size as our now 2 1/2 year old orphaned pony (PJ) who we rescued when he was 6 days old. PJ will most like be a tad taller than her so no pairs driving.

Today I was just scratching her so much on her neck and she lifted her head so high she could put it on the top of my head-I am 5'5". I am going to have the vet look at her back end b/c her vulva remains opened a bit too much and I don't want manure getting into there. The swelling is all gone on the outside, just the results are left.

She's a very cute mover too and loves to throw her little petite head when she kicks her heels up. She is a love bug, but in a quiet and reserved way-nothing pushy about this little mare at all.

So, Hiccup is doing great. Thank you Lori for giving us such a wonderful mare. She'll be here forever and will be such an asset to our lives and our program.

Aww, so great that she's doing well! Pictures please!!

Thank you for the update! Can't wait to see pictures. You can post them on FB and make the link public (at the bottom). How is the big Clyde doing?

I will post them I promise. Jerry our new Clydesdale from the NYC Parks department is doing great. He's settled right in with "the Boys" which is my two other geldings and my younger stallion Miracle.

Jerry too will be a part of our Therapeutic program.

Thanks for the update on Hiccup ! We look forward to seeing her pics -

Beaming.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Awesome update... Yes, photos please when you have time

Yippee!!! Great news! Maybe she's a candidate for a Caslick's to keep her infection free. Bless her little heart. And huge thanks to you, EAW.

Thanks for posting this "feel good" update ~~~ enjoy !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Thank you, thank you. May she have a long and trouble free career with you!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I'm so happy to hear she is doing well. She sure deserved a loving home after what she endured.

Such a pleasure to hear a happy update on a mare that has endured such a rough start to life. Thanks to Lori for giving her a place to start over and thanks to you, CSH, for giving her such a lovely place to land. I look forward to pics in the future.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

thanks everyone. Today she is going to have a "Spa" day. My younger daughter and her friend, who is going to be essentially living with us this summer are going to get her all gussied up, bathe her brush and trim her mane and tail and make her even more beautiful!0

I will get photos of this. Nothing like two girls fussing over a little mare.

What a heartwarming peace of news for me. Hiccup loves her bath as Choco and I found out. Made all those itchies feel good. I couldnt help but worry either about her vulva and yet, nothing was going in there. If you need her vet information, just holler and the vets can confer on her situation. My vet said she will never be normal back there but........................was stunned at how fast and well she healed to begin with. I cant wait to show dept. of Ag her updated pics. Yes, that little mare is not very forward but an absolute doll if you approach her. She sure didnt come from a good home and I guarantee you the home before that was no better or they wouldnt have dealt with people like that to begin with. They only had to open there mouths for a person to know they didnt have a clue. So, if you will sell a horse to someone like that, it held no importance anyhow.

Hiccup certainly deserved better and thankyou Jean for giving this gal her forever home.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Thanks Lori. She is just a sweetheart and a true testiment of forgiveness. I wish people were as forgiving as she is. We have a resuce pony here who more than likely would have ended up dead had we not stepped in so I completely understand what you are saying about "people opening their mouths and not having a clue". It's scary that they are, the people I mean, allowed to procreate.

I will send you photos and hopefully some video too. My vet is due out on July 8th so we'll give an update to everyone. She actually has some loose ligaments back there too b/c she "leaks" too when she trots or canters. I don't think I can teach her to do kegel exercises :-)

We'll get her all taken care of. I promise. She has a fly mask of her own and I am ordering her a fly sheet too. Just so she remains in that princess mode, her mask is pink and I'll see if I can find her a pink fly sheet.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. In essence, Hiccup belongs to "all" of us.