The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any Ideas what these symptoms might be from?

A boarder at my barn, where I have my horse, has a 12 year old quarterhorse who was in excellent health up till about 2 weeks ago. He started to go off his feed and become a bit unstable at the walk. It was extremely hot out here, so attributed to possibly the weather, but as the week progressed he got worse and the vet was called. He lost all his muscle mass, he is wobbly and lame at the walk and at rest his front legs shake. His eyes are sunken in and he has no appetite. He also stands with his back legs tucked under his stomach area.

The vet can't figure out what is wrong with him, took blood and put him on antibiotic and pain killers till the result of the blood came back. Well, nothing showed in the blood, but the owner and him know that EPM is hard to diagnose and a lot of the symptoms point to it, so put him on Marquis figuring it can't hurt him.

The owner will not let him suffer much longer, but everyone is dumbfounded on what it may be!

Has anyone else ever seen a horse like this and if so, do you know what caused it?

Thanks for your help!

EPM is not that hard to diagnose. A regular blood test will not suffice though.

Sent you a pm.
    There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it.
    *Standardbred clique

Quote Originally Posted by Androcles View Post
    EPM is not that hard to diagnose. A regular blood test will not suffice though.

Yeah we know you need more than a blood test to diagnose if it is EPM, but unfortunatley the horse doesn't have the time for more tests to be done without something being done proactively for him. Which is why they started him on the Marquis.

They are running more tests, but unfortunatley, if the Marquis doesn't help, time is running out on this guy. The owner will not let him suffer.

Just asking so no snarky comments...being a QH could it be HYPP???

certainly HYPP needs to be ruled out and should have been on top of the list for a QH with muscle issues

Cachexia is a condition loss in some cancer victims ( animal and human) This has to be included. a hidden cancer that has just reached the critical phase might be going on here.

I hope the Marquis makes a notable improvement.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

West Nile?
    Eastern/Western Encephalitis?

Cancer popped into my mind as well.

Definitely encourage her to get some more testing done on this guy. The owner should be aggressive, and NOW! A proper diagnosis can save his life. How about a consult at the local vet school?

West Nile and EPM are my two guesses.

Default Exact same symptoms..

...that my TB had last summer, very sudden onset, too. It was so severe that my vet tested for Equine Herpes Virus also, EHV-1 neurologic, because he became ataxic almost overnight... But he was tested for EPM, West Nile, EHV-1 and even rabies was brought up ( you can't TEST for that though until after death). Anyway, his tests only came back positive for EPM, so we was put on Marquis within days. Unfortunately it didn't help him.

1. Why did the owner wait so long to call a vet?

2. Was a neuro exam done?

3. Has laminitis/founder been considered?

Ehrlichia