The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ringbone, treatment?

I have a 12 year old 17.3hh Thoroughbred gelding that I use for Hunter/Jumpers and a little dressage here and there. The last show we went to, on the 2nd day of the show, he went into work fine and a few minutes of trotting, he went lame. Not dead lame, just ''off''... We think it is probably his ringbone that was acting up, but just in case we have the vet coming out Wednesday...

So I was wondering, what sort of treatment would you guys recommend in this situation? We want it treated for his comfort, and so we can do higher jumping, especially at shows. Has anyone had a horse/ know of a horse that treated ringbone? With what treatment and how did it work?

So far we have been researching electroshock, IRAP, and plasma. Anyone know anything about these? What would you guys recommend? We're talking to our vet about all of the options, just curious on the experience of others.

Thanks in advance!

Is it high or low ringbone? That would make a difference.
    My mare has both in both front legs. She used to jump (3'9" - 4'), but being a Clyde cross, it took its toll. We just retired her and use her for hacks. No more jumping! We decided we'd rather have her as a pet than hasten her demise and lower her comfort to keep her jumping for my daughter's pleasure. She has her on and off moments, depending how hard the ground is. We tried supplements which made no difference, except in my pocket book. Now she is out 24/7 during the spring/summer and quite happy ie I could not catch her last night! She was a bit gimpy at the walk and trot as she avoided me...

High, it's in his back right, normally Cosequin ASU keeps him happy and sound but even with that he still has his ''moments'' which we'd like to alleviate, and he LOVES jumping so we'd really like to see him be able to show a little higher. (By that I'm not talking about a 3'3+ horse, we use him in low hunters, as in he probably WON'T ever show over 2'9, we've been moving up a division or 2 a year, right now we're at 2', and we'd like to be at 2'3 but if he's having trouble after day 1 of showing 2', I don't want to push him even more without having the vet do something about it.)

High or low ringbone?

Is his pastern axis good-- P1-P3 all lined up as they should be?

Do radiographs show exostoses on the outside of the joint(s) or degeneration on the inside?

What have you tried in terms of managing inflammation?

How much money do you want to spend?

I'm not sure shock wave therapy will do much more than deaden pain for 10 days or so. Joint injections using steriods/HA IRAP or other-fangled stuff may do better if the deterioration isn't too bad.

My ringboney horse just loved these shoes:

http://www.soundhorse.com/morrisonshoes.htm

Especially the very soft Black Pad version. The Morrison-Roller Motion design also eases break over and may help your cause a bit as well. But be warned, this is an expensive and technical way to go. My realistic point is to speak in detail with your farrier about what he can do to help.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    High or low ringbone?

Is his pastern axis good-- P1-P3 all lined up as they should be?

Do radiographs show exostoses on the outside of the joint(s) or degeneration on the inside?

What have you tried in terms of managing inflammation?

How much money do you want to spend?

I'm not sure shock wave therapy will do much more than deaden pain for 10 days or so. Joint injections using steriods/HA IRAP or other-fangled stuff may do better if the deterioration isn't too bad.

My ringboney horse just loved these shoes:

http://www.soundhorse.com/morrisonshoes.htm

Especially the very soft Black Pad version. The Morrison-Roller Motion design also eases break over and may help your cause a bit as well. But be warned, this is an expensive and technical way to go. My realistic point is to speak in detail with your farrier about what he can do to help.
    High in the back right, pasterns are as they should be, and for inflamation he's given the Cosequin ASU and his hoof supplement (Grand Hoof) also has MSM in it. Money isn't an issue as long as it'll help. We're not sure if joint injections will be an option because the vet isn't sure he can get into the joint with the calcification around it... And those shoes are very odd and interesting! Definitely something to show the farrier, thanks! (Oh and his ringbone is only mild, moderate at worst for future responders!)