The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How well do Vespucci *reins* hold up? Esp. plaited?

I've heard a lot lately about the quality of the bridles going downhill, but what about the reins?
    Specifically, does anyone have the plaited ones who could post a review?

I have a pretty nice older Vespucci bridle and would loff loff LOFF to have a nice set of plaited reins to go with it but not if they're going to fall apart in a week.

Thanks for any comments!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

This won't answer your question but Country Saddler and Five Star Tack have plaited reins, maybe one of them would match. I am dying for a pair of plaited reins, when I can afford some.

I don't know if quality of Vespucci has gone down, but I bought a Vespucci bridle/reins last year that ended up having to be returned to Vespucci. The thing bled like no other. Customer service through Vespucci was horrible-- my tack shop worked and worked with them to no avail. Finally my tack store refunded my money. Would not buy another Vespucci product after all that.

Don't have any problem with my Vespucci bridle and had really good customer service from my tack store when I needed to add a 'figure eight' to it.

I will add that the new 'figure eight' doesn't seem to be at the same quality level my bridle was when I purchased it a year ago...will see if this part last...

On the other hand, I had trouble with my nice pair of Arc De Triomphe calfskin covered reins...leather ripped off at buckle, unstitched itself for no apparent reason at some other places after only 6 months of good cares and use, and lots of trouble with their customer services... Been refunded!