The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy UPDATE: 501c3 Tulsa OK rescue emergency -- and ways to help $$ now

DISCLAIMER: I am just the messenger, but I know the lady who's the heart of this group, and they are in real dire straights right now. with her permission, i am cross posting this information here in hopes people can help or know someone who can...Please reach her via email.

Marie started Falcon’s Refuge in Indiana, then moved to Tulsa last year. I helped her get her 501c3 paperwork done, and have helped her walk through many steps of becoming a rescue.

She’s now in dire straits thru no fault of her own – her husband is extremely ill, and he was the family’s primary source of income.

Please see the list below, and please help Marie in any way you can. Her contact info is at the bottom of the post.

As she mentions, she is spending her time at the hospital, so please be patient with her, do not call just email, and please NO NO NO lectures. She doesn’t need to hear about what financial safety should’ve been, blah blah blah.

PS: Falcon is the horse that began the rescue. Marie truly wants to keep him in her life if she can. Anyone who might be able to board him for free for some time to help them would truly be a godsend.

Please contact Marie directly, as I have no additional data to share…
    MARIES NOTE:
    Please feel free to cross post, as a matter of fact please cross post.

Okay all after several days of struggling with lots of decisions about the horses and my husbands health, money, were we need to live to be able to get faster medical care for him. My son's major melt down, and a long list of other reason I am sure you do not want to know about.

We have decided to place the horses and fold the rescue or at least idle it until we can find a place closer to town that can house them. Johns lungs and heart will not allow for him to work for at least a year, maybe longer.

Here is what I need, a place for all the horses, I think with Johns disability we should be able to board Falcon, if anyone can help till we get things straight again please email me off board.

This is 7 horses, listed as follows,
    paint mustang mare, her foal who is know a yearling. Mocha and Java

OTTB Abner Gelding, sound to ride, like to run
    Andulusian, gelding, Indy, not broke, but very willing.
    2 old Arabian Geldings
    QH gelding who has a club foot, when trimmed he is sometimes sound to ride.
    Please do not ask me to transport, I spend most days at the hospital.

None of them have a current coggins, and honestly I can not afford to get it. (adopter will have to pay for the tests. Well the 2 older Arbians do. And the QH, but i have not paid off the vet bill yet and it will not be released till it is.)

If you are a 501 c 3 charity, i can doante the horses to you, along with all tack in the barn that belongs to the rescue. I just want them to be safe.
    Please cross post to anyone who you think can help. Please contact me at marieewan60@yahoo.com if you can help.
    Marie Ewan
    Falcon's Refugee
    Last edited by Crosswinds Rescue; Jul. 5, 2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: fixing html code mess
    AnnMarie Cross, Pres, Crosswinds Equine Rescue, cwer.org
    Sidell IL (near Champ./UofI/Danville IL/IN state border)

I don't know anything about Falcon Ridge but I do appreciate her honesty and the lack of "OMG!! I need 30k tomorrow or the horses will die!".

She seems like she made some hard decisions for the good of the horses and for her family. I know most rescues are full right now but offering them with their tack etc is a sound move.

It is seven horses, surely COTH'ers can help find homes for them?
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Yes, Marie actually emailed me again this morning. some folks have offered to donate to 'keep her doors open'. She has said the kindest of thank yous, but that she does not want to be 'begging again in another month'. she wants the horses to be safe, in new lives or on track for new lives, so she can focus on her family.

I am going to ask her for the vet's information, and then would ask if people would be willing to help pay off her vet bill so she can get the coggins certificates and get the remaining coggins done for the other horses, to help get them to new homes. that kindness would help her enormously, and if you wish to help in that way, please do contact her directly.

we are trying to figure out if we can get the 2 mustang mares to us here, but would much prefer to find someone closer to her, rather than take on that much expense (and 3 days of our farm managers time to go get them which puts other hardships for us here), if possible.

Here is the details on the 2 mares:
    She is from Montana she is a wonderful smart great horse, she is just at 13 3 hands and about 1100 pounds she is built like a brick. She is also smart I know I already said that, when I have worked with her, she has learned back over to hand points, no voice, she is pleasant, stands for vet, farrier will stand tied for hours if you ask her, no complaints, moves like a floating cloud. She has no tattoo she is a range horse that a friend got from a guy, who just no longer wanted her. You can see her on our web she is the only paint on the pages. Miss java, mochas foal, is a buckskin, she is a hoot, she likes to scratch and will lead, and stand for care, sometimes she gets a notion to be a kid, but not a mean bone in her body. She likes grapes, and other fruit, if you have them she will sniff them out.

AnnMarie

Just heard from Marie.

Another option that would help her is if someone would be willing to house these 8 for a short time period while she works to get them rehomed or moved to other rescues.

I dont know if there is anyone on this list who is near her, who might be able to even simply offer some pasture space. I THINK that Falcon must be stalled or kept in a smaller area or he re-injures himself, but i believe the others are all pasture sound.

If anyone can help, please contact marie directly.

Unhappy

Someone asked if I was affiliated with this group in anyway, "unofficially". Please let me state that I am not.

I've never met Marie, even though we were less than 4 hours apart at one time, we just never made it work.

I've seen her paperwork for her 501c3, and she's seen mine. i proofed it for her and gave her some advice, and she taught me what had hcanged in the rules from when i did mine.

I've helped Marie make contacts to place horses when she had a horse that fit a need that I did not, and she's sent people to CWER on numerous occasions.

While we can't say we are 'acquaintances', I would say we are friends.

I have NEVER seen Marie put out a request for help before, not even when she had to move the nonprofit across state lines due to a work move for her husband, on fairly short notice.

She isnt asking for money -- in fact she told the first people who offered "no thank you", but at my suggestion is now asking them to pay toward the vet bill. She isn't threatening or anything else. She is just being honest and open, and asking the equine community to help these 8 horses in any way people feel they are able.

Thank you, on behalf of hte other rescues of the equine world, for anything you might be able to do. We all pray this type of scenario is not us some day.

Perhaps your forward to someone you know might hit the right person who is able to foster 1 or more of these horses, or otherwise help get even 1 into a new home asap.

Marie asked me to forward this note:

This is the lady who took in Abner, Indy, Mocha, Java, Dandy, and Beau. Please let everyone know that they are safe and she has agreed to hold them for me or adopt out, till I get unsideways. It brings me down to three which for the moment is manageable.

Anne Marie Duhon Director
    Cajun Country Ranch Animal Rescue Inc
    www.cajuncountryranch.webs.com

As I looked at them the night before they left, I realized just how bad it had got for them and for me. I should have made the decision to let them go a lot sooner than I did, for that I will forever be sorry. Before anyone freaks out, none of them were or are on the verge of death, however they needed hooves trimmed, groomed, paid attention, vetted, and more than I did over the course of the last few months.

I also, let my daughter do the loading, I knew I could not let them go otherwise, and she understood it. And did not get mad at me for that.

Her husband is a farrier, so he can get their hooves done. Although they will not be all at one location, they will be safe she has promised me that.

John and his health, I did not give any explanation as to what happened that brought all this on, so this is the explanation. So if any of you have a good attorney in MI who handles chemical spills send them my way. We have been advised that to cover some of the long term medical bills this is going to be necessary.
    Not too long ago John delivered a liquid load of a chemical called TDI, UN number 2078, when he was unloading this liquid there was a faulty valve in the holding tank, this in turn allowed for the liquid to spray all over him, he got a bath in a liquid that has long term health issue when you are that exposed to it. We were assured by the plant, as well as the hospital that he was ok. Well he is not. Since the spill he has had a heart attack which we attributed to the family gene pool, well not so, what has happened recently is if the humidity is anything at all we live in Oklahoma the capital of all humid, he can’t breathe. When at rest in the hospital bed he sits at a 95 percent O2 stat, if he moves at all it drops way down. This than causes his heart to work harder and the cycle just gets worse. He has good days, he has bad days. Prognosis as we move forward with this is not a great outlook for him.

To all of you who offered help thank you, from the bottom of all our hearts. Falcon is still with me. I have been heard to say, if need be I would live on the side of the road with him tied to me before I would let him go, I got lucky we found a house that has land and will allow horses, no cover for more than 3 of them. We do get to hay the fields which are about 25 acres that hay will be going to the lady that took in the horses to help with her hay bill over the winter. We also get to fence it, part of the deal so that we get the hay, and I had some fencing, selling some of the tack we have and what other stuff to get the rest of the fence. Some of it will also go to the rescue that took in the horses as I said I would do already. And in my view hay is more valuable than tack, you can always find tack, you can’t always find good horse hay.
    Marie Ewan, Director
    Falcon's Refugee for Wayward Horses, Inc.
    A 501 (c) (3) not-for-profit charity
    www.falconshavenforhorses.org
    Last edited by Crosswinds Rescue; Jul. 5, 2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: fixing html

Prayers for you and your husband. I'm glad you found a place where you can keep Falcon!

AMD has been in the public spotlight recently...

http://fuglyblog.com/?p=2081

thanks, heart. I'm not sure I'll share that link with Marie today -- she is handling enough right now. I think she said in one of her emails to me that she went to see where the horses were going -- ah, but she did say they weren't all going to one facility. So perhaps she visited a foster whose site is in better condition than what is shown in the fugly page's photos. I just dont know -- I'm too far away to know or to really help, sadly. If she'd still been in Indiana we could've worked out regional fosters and some of her girls could've come here and simply stayed with us while her family tries to survive this nightmare.

I thought fugly (as I often do) was unreasonably harsh in some of her attack about the two ponies -- things were assumed that, perhaps, were assumed unfairly -- without questions, without thought as to alternative answers vs just assuming the worst. But that would be for a different discussion.

The rest of the discussion, particularly the comments, about the conditions of the dogs and the house, sigh. Our house isn't neat and spiffy -- not by the longest shot on the planet! -- but it sure doesn't look ilke that. and if it looked even CLOSE I sure wouldn't have "farm tour photos" that look like that!

These horses were, literally, about to be truly homeless. Hopefully they will move on to better lives from here. I know that Marie put a lot of time and ground training into each horse in her care when she was here in IN, and I'm sure she did as much as she could to continue it there despite the health nightmare ravaging her family and her finances simultaneously.

The next time you communicate with her, please suggest she use Google or other search engine of her choice, using search term personal injury chemical TDI. Here are a few of the things I've found, and I hope she has already consulted an attorney on her husband's behalf!
    http://www.epi.state.nc.us/epi/oee/tdi.html
    http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiteratu...romPage=GetDoc
    http://www.spraytruckbedliner.com/s_...7&DOC=FILE.PDF
    and this which implies Husband should be entitled to Worker's Compensation, if not already on it:
    http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/forms/dwc/dwc001rpt.pdf
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

THANKS, Saddlebredfan. I'll route that to her immediately.