The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Ok - how do I get a black snake out of my well house??

Eeeek!!! I am a self proclaimed snake hater!! I personally shot and killed 10 water moccasins this spring and summer and constantly watch where I walk. Sooooo every night when I go in the COOL pump house to turn the water on to one of my pastures I carefully look around to make sure "no one" /snake is in there cooling off. Well, two nights ago there was a nice fat Black snake sleeping off a big meal in the cool stone building. I am not so hateful as to kill a Black snake, but there is no way I was going to reach down just inches from him to turn on the water!! I took a long stick and tried to encourage him to vacate the building, but he refused. I had to call DH to turn on, then off, the water. Last night he was still there - DH to the rescue again. Now I don't want to kill a Black snake, but there is no way in hell I'm reaching down to turn the faucet on with a snake wrapped around it!! We have 90 acres...he can be anywhere else minus my 2 square feet of space. Is there anything I can spray or dust the ground with to make him not like being there?? I thought Alum did something like that. How about wasp spray??
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Most lawn & garden and farm supply stores carry snake repellent, although how effective they are is subject to debate.

I put it around the house to keep my wife happy. (If she ever visits this BB, I'm toast!)
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

If the BS is there, the mocs and the copperheads and the RS's are not. Leave him there, or bring him to me. You're fortunate to have him.

If you must run him off, put mothballs/crystals down.

Get a mongoose.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost Heaven View Post
    If the BS is there, the mocs and the copperheads and the RS's are not. Leave him there, or bring him to me. You're fortunate to have him.

Yup
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Get one of those at Walmart and pick the snake off the faucet, open it, put snake back on it:

http://www.gemplers.com/shop/cleanup-tools

I think I might even tolerate a black snake if I knew they kept those other nasty snakes away.
    Heck, as long as I know where the snake is, I am ok. Its the surprise that gets me.
    He'll move off, and in the meantime, you can humor your hubby to feeling needed and helping you with the water.

Yup, make your husband feel like a hero and keep the good snake. Him around means the water moccassins and undesireables are not. 10 Water Moccassins is a huge number.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Almost Heaven View Post

Ditto!
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Seriously? You don't. You leave him be and you won't have a problem with poisonous snakes.
    Or you just box him up and ship him here, I have a few rattlers that could use his attentions.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Get geese. They do a great job keeping snakes away.

But, alas, it is true, black snakes are harmless, and they do keep the nasty snakes away because they'll eat darn near anything, and they are bigger than a lot of bad snakes. The element of surprise, though, is deadly. I am also a card-carrying snake-hater, I've stepped on them in my bedroom, found them curled around the dog water bowl, and always jump and scream dramatically whenever one pops up and waves hello. I think I am the almighty totem of all snakes because they seem to love me.

Just keep making your husband take care of the water until the snake moves away to a more comfy place --- once he's digested his meal, he'll go out hunting again. And maybe next time, he'll have the courtesy to hide where you don't see him when you go in to the well house!

We have one that likes to sleep on the gate. shudder.. I HATE that element of surprise even though I've come to expect it. "Charlie" is about 7.5 feet long and growing. Found a huge skin last weekend in his normal area.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/c1fd167f.jpg

Default holy smokes

That is one HUGE snake Back in the Saddle. It's pathetic, but I am limiting my geographic areas of location based on the possibility of snake encounters. Aargh.

a barn I boarded at used to have those damn fake snakes all over the place... scared the piss out of me a number of times as I'm stolling along adn see a damn coiled up snake at the bottom of the staircase.... then I'd recall it was a fake... I'm personally of the opinion that snakes do not belong inside... I'd keep a black snake alive... but he would definatly be relocated.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I would move....seriously. If I found one in my well house or one on the gate like Back In The Saddle, I'm not sure I would even bother to pack, just drive far, far away!!!!

Yikes.

Just out of curiosity horseshrink how long have you lived in Ocala? If this is your first summer here in Fla. I guess you had better be prepared to move 'cuz you aren't going to get through a season here in the south without some kind of snake encounter!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

I have actually lived in Ocala for five years and spent 25 years a South Florida. In all that time, I never saw a snake (other than the snakes at the Miami Serpentarium at my snake phobia classes). The closest I've come is finding a snake skin in a bush in my front yard.

I am spending the summer in West Texas and am very fearful from what the locals are telling me about snakes. Hope I make it through.

Ive been in Ocala for 10 years out on a farm, amongst huge farms, and havent seen that many snakes. I was lucky enough to see a young black racer this spring; actually saw him several days in a row, but havent seen him since. I hope he's okay.

Is there a way you could put up some sort of wall of wood or some such around the faucet handle, so he can't lie ON it and you can reach in and turn it on without touching him, but leaving him room in there to sleep? I'd love to have one in my barn; the snake....but he might eat the baby birds, soooo....
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I guess you could keep the thought in your mind that if he's too well-fed and sleepy to move when you prod him with a broom or stick, he's not going to move when you reach in to turn on the water either. You could put a glove on, just to give yourself some "cootie" protection. I've been bitten by black (rat) snakes before (in camp - the "tame" snake we passed around got tired of being handled by the time it was my turn!!) and it doesn't hurt very much.