The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Spinoff of COTH Weirdness: unwritten rules of COTH

The hilarious weird quotes thread made me think, there are some unwritten rules which can lead to pretty funny situations, or the decline and death-by-mod of threads, depending:

Unwritten Rule #1: Don't ever think you can get away with posting something controversial that contradicts something you posted last year - people will look you up and quote you!

UR #1a: Don't think you can get away with having a sneaky alter to cover up a weird situation: people will look it up and figure you out!

UR #2: Don't ask for advice and then critique the advice you get; even if you don't like it, just nod and smile and file it away!

UR #3: Don't ever think you can post a desperate plea for vet advice here instead of calling the actual vet. Any emergency post should begin "I already called the vet, but meanwhile I'd like some jingles/advice/a shoulder to cry on."

Any others???

I have a sneaky alter and no one knows it

Carry on.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Writing like an illiterate 12 year old with a texting addiction will not make you popular with the average CoTHer, especially if you are violating rules 1-3. If it's important enough to ask strangers about on the interwebz, it's probably important enough for grammar.

If, when called out on your crazy, you amp up the crazy to unforseen heights, mockery will follow you for your foreseeable future. As will stick poking and more mockery. CoTH loves a trainwreck even more than it loves grammar.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

I will admit to especially enjoying when people amp up teh crazy sumthin' fierce, gettin' all frothy.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post
    If, when called out on your crazy, you amp up the crazy to unforseen heights, mockery will follow you for your foreseeable future. As will stick poking and more mockery. CoTH loves a trainwreck even more than it loves grammar.
    I've noticed that once the beer and popcorn arrive, there is no saving that thread. Just sit back and watch for the crash-and-burn.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

UW #4 - If you have to post a question about whether an activity violates your amateur status, it probably does.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Denigrating Western medicine for humans as well as horses and stating unequivocally that some herbal tea will cure cancer, is sure to get you on the 'krayzee and psychotic' list.

Stating that anecdotal evidence is just as good as scientific review and peer study, and the ONLY reason some weed or flower isn't being highly acclaimed as a miracle cure is because, "It's all a conspiracy to keep us down, man!" will also land you on the aforementioned list.

Copious mockery and poking of sticks to follow.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Sometimes you don't even have to wait for booze and snacks. Sometimes you just have to look at who started a thread to know it will be a trainwreck of epic proportions because that's how some posters roll. Topic is also a good indicator -- draw reins, barefoot, bitting, calming supplements, super duper AWESOMELY talented (ur jus jelus) Arabian jumpers -- all excellent trainwrecks in the making.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Excellent point, loshad.

Any thread started by certain people is bound to be full of hilarity, frothing at the mouth, and the OP stamping their feet and vowing NEVAH to return! Except when they do, a day or two later.

Quote Originally Posted by Twigster View Post
    I've noticed that once the beer and popcorn arrive, there is no saving that thread. Just sit back and watch for the crash-and-burn.

HEY I am always up for beer and popcorn!
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Sometimes you don't even have to wait for booze and snacks. Sometimes you just have to look at who started a thread to know it will be a trainwreck of epic proportions because that's how some posters roll. Topic is also a good indicator -- draw reins, barefoot, bitting, calming supplements, super duper AWESOMELY talented (ur jus jelus) Arabian jumpers -- all excellent trainwrecks in the making.
    Also, Parelli or anything NH and the slaughter debate!
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

& fat riders are usually good for 20 pages and a whole lot of snorting and stamping of feet.

ETA and ofcourse: Slaughter, and mustangs...

When called out or "attacked" by large groups of COTH'ers, the very best thing you can do is invent a string of alters to support yourself.

Addendum: when people figure out all the posts are coming from the same computer, always remember to use the "houseguest" defense

(haven't had any good houseguests in a while, have we? They're my favorite.)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

This thread goes hand in hand with the CoTH Ten Commandments

Let's not forget the show makeup threads.

Geez, who knew that something used merely as a personal preference could harbor such rabid resentment from a certain faction of the BB?

It's oil and wax, folks. It's not going to tear down civilization as we know it, or put womankind back 300 years.

Dont forget the Gypsy Vanners...
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    Denigrating Western medicine for humans as well as horses and stating unequivocally that some herbal tea will cure cancer, is sure to get you on the 'krayzee and psychotic' list.

Stating that anecdotal evidence is just as good as scientific review and peer study, and the ONLY reason some weed or flower isn't being highly acclaimed as a miracle cure is because, "It's all a conspiracy to keep us down, man!" will also land you on the aforementioned list.

Copious mockery and poking of sticks to follow.
    Yeah, and categorically *don't* try toothpaste or (insert dirt cheap, handy item) for sarcoids or (insert name of genuinely medical but "luxury problem") because the FDA and Big Pharma didn't study it. And their imprimator-- sciencey-looking to be sure but with plenty of conflict of interest thrown in-- is better than your low-stakes, down home experiment.

Do whine if the drugs they did test are way, way to expensive. Also whine about people who so damned cheap and casual that they will try the stuff you won't.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    This thread goes hand in hand with the CoTH Ten Commandments
    Ah, I'd lost track of that one. Thanks for bringing it up!

WHAT? What were you thinking? You left out the biggest trainwreck topic of all....PARELLI.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    Also, Parelli or anything NH and the slaughter debate!
    rofLmao...never mind Lori beat me to it.