The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leg hair falling out?

I went out to feed breakfast and was grooming and noticed my old guy's legs looked a little funky. It was only his 2 back legs with their high whites. I started grooming and the hair was falling out and had white, flaky, or something follicles or skin with it. I don't know... couldn't really tell what was what, but definitely hair and something white with it. Just the outer, long- well, dirty- hair fell out and for the most part there's short, clean white hair underneath, but still flaky looking. There's only one small scab on one leg. The problem starts above his fetlocks and nothing below. Heels and pasterns are fine. It's been flooded, wet, and muddy here and he's not been out of his stall and dirt paddock for the past three days, except for 3 hours on grass last night. EVERYTHING has just been too flooded. He has bad allergies and the leg was slightly stocked aroundt he fetlock, but his are constantly swelling from allergies. Opinions?

I was expecting this to be on your pony filly from all that peeing. My mare always got the scruff on her hind cannon bones. It seems to be from the heat and humidity. Just curry it off for him. It itches.
    Marriage: an on going experiment to prove there are at least two ways to do everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    I was expecting this to be on your pony filly from all that peeing. My mare always got the scruff on her hind cannon bones. It seems to be from the heat and humidity. Just curry it off for him. It itches.
    HEY. You knock on wood for me right now! Luckily she's fine. She's starting to really look nice on her new ration balancer. He definitely seemed like it itched and his usual rank self stood without flinching a muscle for me to curry and pick at. Just wasn't sure if there was something I should wash it with also.

Hind cannon crud is what we call it. You'll see loads of threads about it here. Here's just one, for starters: http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showth...us#post4296525

After we get it under control, we periodically wash their hind legs with an antifungal shampoo (or whatever's around in the wash rack), let dry and then apply Gold Bond Powder. For our horses, it keeps it from coming back all summer.

Don't know if I'm reading your post correctly, but you mentioned some swelling in one of your horses' legs. We finallly had the vet out for one of our horses as he was stocked up from what we thought was rain rot or a reaction to the &*^%$ pig weed in his paddock (that grows 5 ft overnight....or at least it seems that way!). He put him on antibiotics and it cleared up.

Ahhhh, yep. Hind cannon crud sounds like it. Thanks!

Text book cannon crud! Happens when pee is spashed onto the leg... not sure why it never affects below the fetlock, it just doesn't.

Wash with head and shoulders every couple of days until it is under control (about a week), then to prevent, keep the cannon curried regularly and wash weekly or biweekly. Once it's under control regular shampoo seems to work just as well as antifungal/antibaterial shampoo. I find the currying is the most important part.

It's called cannon keratosis.

My vet said that people used to think it was from mud/urine/etc. but it's really an overproduction of skin cells that is localized to the hind cannons. It can be managed, but I don't think it ever really goes away. My gelding has it.

dmalbone, it can sometimes also happen from them wandering in long damp grass too.
    I see on another thread you just mowed your paddocks. The tall grass might have helped cause that, it holds the dew and stays damp longer than short grass.
    The above directions work to control it...and I have noticed on my own horses that the white legs seem more prone to it than darker colored legs.
    Of course I only have a small amount of horses to make that guess on, I could be wrong. But Gal used to get it and Sonny does now sometimes and both had/have white socks/stockings. Moo never got it and neither does Pete and both have chestnut legs.

Also watch for skin burns on your pony mare's hind legs from urinating a lot. A quick wipe down once a day with a clean wet cloth and then a quick wip with a dry cloth will help prevent urine scald. Gal would get that sometimes too until she started peeing in a bucket instead.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

The owner of one gelding at our barn was getting concerned with the same problem. The vet checked and told her it was urine splashing on the leg and that she needed to clean her horse's sheath! It seems to have resolved now!

I'm not buying the urine-splash explanation, why then is this problem also seen in mares? Mares don't splash urine on the front of their cannons. Not saying it couldn't contribute, by making the legs moist.
    I always thought it was a leg case of rain rot, and I"ve always "treated" it with an iodine-shampoo scrub. Usually one scrubbing does away with it. For a while at least.

[QUOTE=oldpony66;4942186]I'm not buying the urine-splash explanation, why then is this problem also seen in mares? Mares don't splash urine on the front of their cannons. QUOTE]

Actually, I have a mare that does "splash" the front of her legs when she's in heat. She's a hussy and twists her butt towards the gelding and ends up making a mess down the front of her leg. She's quite the contortionist!

Either way, a curry, shampoo and keeping it dry will help clear it up.

[QUOTE=baysngreys;4942607]
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    I'm not buying the urine-splash explanation, why then is this problem also seen in mares? Mares don't splash urine on the front of their cannons. QUOTE]

Actually, I have a mare that does "splash" the front of her legs when she's in heat. She's a hussy and twists her butt towards the gelding and ends up making a mess down the front of her leg. She's quite the contortionist!

Either way, a curry, shampoo and keeping it dry will help clear it up.
    wow. Just when you think you've seen everything - so I stand corrected! I must be lucky because even my two geldings don't really "splash" themselves.

It's a skin condition. Overproduction of cells. Cannon keratosis. My gelding would die before he would "splash" himself and he still has it. Manageable, but not curable.

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    It was only his 2 back legs with their high whites. I started grooming and the hair was falling out and had white, flaky, or something follicles or skin with it. I don't know... couldn't really tell what was what, but definitely hair and something white with it. Just the outer, long- well, dirty- hair fell out and for the most part there's short, clean white hair underneath, but still flaky looking.
    you may also be seeing early stage sunburn and or midges

the white legs on some horses burn easier than others....heavy white diaper rash creme normally cleans it up or just good old vaseline for night time turn out

if it's dew burn you's see it also in the fetlock joint...in severe cases of that you need no wet grass contact and desitin type stuff as well

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.