The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question when they swell up after the wrap comes off

My tb is recovering from stitches on his leg, and is now getting his wraps off and getting back to work. Historically, he swells up a bit when wraps come off. He is puffing up today, as this is his first naked day. I cold hosed it and gave him a gram of bute to try to keep the swelling down, but wanted to see if anyone else sees this. I rode him for the third time this week, and may have pushed him too hard-he was VERY naughty and I needed to work him through it. Vet is coming for a follow up tomorrow anyway, but I was curious to see if anyone else's horse does this-puffs up after being wrapped.

How long was he wrapped?

He may have been wraped long enough (which is long enough for him, doesn't matter if it's not long enough for another horse) that he needs to be weaned off the wraps to coerce his lymphatic system to take over full functionality again.

[QUOTE=JB;4939854]How long was he wrapped?[QUOTE]

Jeeze. About a month...

I'd bet a few dollars that's the deal.

Start with a few hours a day and see how it goes, watching to see if swelling returns in that time. If it does but is minor, keep going for 2-3 hours and then wrap again. If it starts to over-swell, put the wraps back on and don't go so long next time.

It could conceivably take a couple of weeks to fully wean him off.

You CAN go cold-turkey, but the problem is if there is enough swelling for long enough you can permanently damage the lymphatic system and end up with a permanently fat leg.

It isn't huge by any means. Just puffy-thicker by the ligaments/tendons. I took the wrap off at about 2:00 and it hasn't gotten much bigger since I rode, which was at about 5:00. Can I assume it won't get worse? He roams 24/7.

Ditto all of JB.... The body's lymphatic system needs time to kick back in gear and move the fluid out of the injury site on its own. Turn out in a paddock so he keeps moving slowly and safely is good... so is cold hosing.

Give the body a chance to work on its own.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

When my horse was wrapped 24/7 for 6 weeks, the vet said to start with 4 hours off for the first week, the 8 hours the second week. It didn't work as well as we wanted in terms of cosmetics so the vet put him on a reducing dose of dexamethazone for a few days. You probably won't have to resort to such measures, but the leg looked fabulous in the end.

Thanks everyone. I followed up with the vet today, and she said to keep it wrapped at night. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks, again!