The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nutrena vs Purina Feeds

I've been driving 40 minutes (more with traffic) to Southern States to get TC Senior. It's worked reasonably well. For for the third time in 7ish months today, they told me over the phone they had plenty in the store but when I got out there, they were holding all they had for someone.

My other options are Nutrena and Purina products. Horse was on strategy for the first 2 or so months and seemed to do okay, but wasn't in work (it was when he first came off the track).

Horse is a 6 year old OTTB gelding, 16.2 and big boned. He's STILL putting on weight and just keeps packing on muscle now that he's in work but remains a little ribby. Pretty laid back. Gets essentially free choice coastal hay during the day, turned out on pretty dry turnout at night. Also gets a big bucket full of soaked alfalfa/timothy cubes whenever he's worked. Had some nasty ulcers when he came off the track that took forever to resolve but scoped great the end of April and gets SmartGut as a preventative.

Thoughts? Experiences? Except for the brief time when he first came off the track in the fall, I don't have much experience with Nutrena and Purina products except for a short time with an easy keeper mare.

I feed Nutrena Compete because I'm broke and that's the lowest I'll go money-wise for a processed feed. My 13 yr old high maintenance TB with the metabolism of a hummingbird is doing well on it and he has an amazing shine to him this year also.

TSC is sometimes out of it though, it's popular.

FWIW I love Ultium, it doesn't make my two arab mares hot and it keeps them in good coat and weight.
    arabsrock