The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Free Magazines...

Anyone else getting free magazines without subscribing? I am not sure where these magazines are coming from! Does anyone know if it is from USEF/USHJA memberships? I'm not talking about Equestrian Magazine or In Stride, but Practical Horseman, Equus, Warmbloods Today, and Dressage Today. I am pretty sure the Equus magazine is from signing up for a sales ad on equine.com but not sure about the other 3. Some will occasionally say "complements of Purina Mills" (but I am not sure how they got my info). And its not just my barn address but my home address as well- so I get several duplicates!

I am by no means complaining that I get 6 free magazines a month, just wondering where these are coming from. Since I don't need 2 copies of each magazine, I give them away to students at my barn. Now if only I could get my COTH for free....

Lucky you! One of those member organizations probably shared their mailing list. It's nice of you to pass them along to others.

The freebies I get are DUMB ones like "More" the mosxt boring rag ever! I got "Oprah" last year.

when you make a credit card transaction and are asked if you would like 2 free trial issues, the mag. company receives your credit card info from that transaction, then will send you the mags. If you do not cancel the subscription you will be charged X amount of dollars for the year and keep on renewing each year. Check your Credit card statements. its a bit of a smoke and mirrors thing. I work retail that also sells subscriptions to a mag at the end of the transaction, then you sign the receipt and bam! you have a years subscription to Instyle mag or what ever they were offering.
    If in fact these are FREE mags you are getting than that is awesome, but if somehow you inadvertently signed up via transaction, you can call them and most companies will refund your monies. PM me if you have any questions.

I have checked my credit card statements and still no charges (and I have been getting these free magazines for almost 2 years now). The only free subscription that I know I get is from equine.com for placing a sales ad- the others are a mystery.

The Warmbloods Today magazine seemed to show up after the second time I went to the world cup in Vegas. I did sign up for "free information" at a couple of the different booths (like some of the footing dealers) but didn't give my credit card info. Maybe they swap mailing lists with magazines...

WOW !! then lucky you ! I am jealous !
    Disregard my previous post.

I got a free Clinton Anderson magazine . Where can I send it back?
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I got a free Clinton Anderson magazine . Where can I send it back?
    LOL, the garbage?

sorry that was mean- I had to wake up extra early this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    I have checked my credit card statements and still no charges (and I have been getting these free magazines for almost 2 years now). The only free subscription that I know I get is from equine.com for placing a sales ad- the others are a mystery.

The Warmbloods Today magazine seemed to show up after the second time I went to the world cup in Vegas. I did sign up for "free information" at a couple of the different booths (like some of the footing dealers) but didn't give my credit card info. Maybe they swap mailing lists with magazines...
    The equine.com subscription actually costs $5, they just add it in to the ad price.

You can get the same ad for $5 less and no magazine if you click around.

I got a free Clinton Anderson "magazine" too. Though it was more like a catalog.
    Eight Fences Farm. Mansfield, MA

There is a magazine called Stable Mangement and it is free! It is a really good magazine, I have been getting it for a few years now. All you have to do is sign up for the free subscription!

http://www.stable-management.com/

Oh, I didn't open the magazine...I plunked it in BF's mail slot, thinking he might like it, seeing as he's the rodeo cowboy and I own nothing remotely Western.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.