The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ldybgluv21 Guest

Default Vetrolin

What is everyone using instead of Vetrolin that isn't drug testable??

The only thing in that that's illegal is Camphor, which I don't believe is in the Absorbine Veterinary liniment, I'm also pretty sure Ice Tight poultice is 100% legal, and I usually poultice or wrap with Absorbine at shows.

I don't mean to swipe the thread but what does Camphor do that would make it illegal?

Sore No More. They make it in a liniment, a gel and a poultice. Love the stuff. Use it on myself as well. Doug Hannum recommended it to me a couple of years ago.

I too use the Sore no More...great stuff!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

... Does Vetrolin, like the shampoo Vetrolin, test?

It's FEI that's a concern for these types of things.

Sore No More is our product of choice.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Have you read the USEF statement on linaments, which specifically addresses Vetrolin (as well as Equiblock and Thermaflex)?
    http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/newsdis...R.aspx?id=4157

I am not going to quote the whole thing, but the key bits are
    By Dr. Stephen Schumacher
    Recently, there have been some questions related to the use of liniments. The specific liniments in question are:

Equi-Block® Liniments by Miracle Corp.
    Ingredients:
    Menthol (3%), Purified Water, Isopropyl Alcohol, Chamomile Extract, Polysorbate 80, Olibanum Extract, Rosemary Oil, Capsicum Oleoresin, Carbomer, Trolamine, Methylparaben.

Thermaflex Liniment Gel by VitaFlex®
    Ingredients:
    Menthol 4.0%, Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), Plant Extracts of Calendula and Rosemary, Oil of Cajuput (Melaleuca Leucadendron), Other Ingredients include: Alcohol, Water, Thickeners, Benzyl Nicotinate, FD&C Yellow #5 and FD&C Blue #1.

Vetrolin® Liniment by Farnam
    Ingredients: Alcohol, Water, Green Soap, Camphor, Oil of Sassafras, Oil of Spike, Methyl Salicylate, Oil of Cedarwood, Oil of Rosemary and Oil of Thyme.
    (Forbidden substances are noted in italics.)

The classification of these substances as Forbidden is neither a new policy nor a recent development. Some of the ingredients in the above listed liniments have been Forbidden substances for more than 20 years. These substances, and products containing them, are classified as Forbidden because of their potential actions on various body systems when administered intravenously, intramuscularly, subcutaneously or orally. However, when used topically and as recommended by their manufacturers, these products have not been associated with a positive by the Federation.

As a practical matter, provided the products containing these substances are administered only topically and as recommended by the manufacturer, there is no need for restricting their use during competitions under USEF rules. However, if these substances are used inappropriately (e.g., in a manner other than topically), this could result in a positive finding in the blood or urine of the horse, which would be a potential violation of the rules.

One exception is the substance capsaicin and closely related analogues (e.g., Capsicum Oleoresin as found in Equi-Block®.) There were four drug violations associated with the detection of capsaicin in the blood following topical administration at the 2008 Olympic Games. Neither of these substances or other capsaicin derivatives should be used topically in any poultice or liniment within the 7 days preceding competition.
    The bottom line is, as long as you use it "as directed", you can still use Vetrolin.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Does the vetrolin bath test?
    Experience is the worst teacher; it gives the test before presenting the lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Against all Odds View Post
    Does the vetrolin bath test?
    Please read the USEF statetment in full.

But effectively, it says that if you use it according to the instructions it will not "test"
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Please read the USEF statetment in full.

But effectively, it says that if you use it according to the instructions it will not "test"
    I understand the USEF statement, but is it just the liniment that has illegal ingredients or does the shampoo as well?

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    I understand the USEF statement, but is it just the liniment that has illegal ingredients or does the shampoo as well?
    I have no idea. What is listed in the ingredients?
    Janet

I have no idea. What is listed in the ingredients?
    I have no idea. My shampoo is an hour away at the barn and I was trying to figure out if I should pick some more up on my way to the barn or not, as I have a show next week... .

Anyone else know the ingredients?

I have no idea. My shampoo is an hour away at the barn and I was trying to figure out if I should pick some more up on my way to the barn or not, as I have a show next week... .

Anyone else know the ingredients?
    Are you bathing the horse with it, or are you injecting it? :roll: If used "as directed", ie rinse, shampoo, rinse, repeat, it will be fine.
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Are you bathing the horse with it, or are you injecting it? :roll: If used "as directed", ie rinse, shampoo, rinse, repeat, it will be fine.
    Was that really necessary?

I would just prefer to be safe rather than sorry.

I prefer vetorlin to many of the other products because many of the other seem to bother my horses skin while vetrolin doesn't plus I love the smell.

It is legal as long as you aren't feeding it to your horse which my horse eats everything and he wouldn't eat that on his own!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I think we can all appreciate that, but just reading the USEF statement should have clearly told you that even IF the shampoo contains illegal ingredients it is NOT a problem as long as you use as directed. You know, as a shampoo...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

If you have that much concern you can:

1) go to the Vertrolin website and find out the ingredients for the shampoo

and/or

2) pick up a different shampoo on the way to the barn just to be safe. A new bottle of shampoo will cost you what... less than $10.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    I think we can all appreciate that, but just reading the USEF statement should have clearly told you that even IF the shampoo contains illegal ingredients it is NOT a problem as long as you use as directed. You know, as a shampoo...
    UNLESS it contains capcacin.

But I can't imagine why anyone would put that in a shampoo.
    Janet

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

UNLESS it contains capcacin.

But I can't imagine why anyone would put that in a shampoo.
    Yes, I put that right bottle alongside the cocaine laced shampoo I found on the "Things You Never Saw in a Tack Store" shelf.

I remember when the whole Vetrolin issue came up and I was at a horse show and all you saw at the washrack was bottle after bottle of vetrolin ... knowing I had been tested alonmg with so many others, I decided common sense was a good place to start long before USEF decided to clarify the matter.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.