The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I love my husband- A/C in my barn!!

Well, actually, not a/c, but two of the biggest "swamp coolers" you've ever seen. About 5'x5'. On wheels. Drops the air temp about 15 degrees and moves a ton of air, really really big fans. Brought "the boys" in this morning, and in about 3 minutes they were hanging their heads out in the breeze, fast asleep.

The are made by a company called Polar Cool, they are commmercial models, and though they were about 3K each, I swear with the early heat and humidity, worth every dime.

My farrier LOVES me.

Are you using them with the water or without? We used them to cool the dojo many long years ago. We had to stop using water, because the humidity would rise to over 90%.

Default with water,

since the doors are open on both ends of the barn, (and the humidity is already 80%) the air going thru there is cooler with the water.

Congratulations ~ thanks for sharing your information and success with the Polar Cool fans.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Ohhhh, to be cool again!!! What a great hubby and horsey-dad. Those fans sound wonderful.

Just this morning while doing the barn (at 6 a.m. it was already *sticky*), DH said we should air condition the barn!!! He was kidding but boy it sounded nice .

OK a little out of my budget but I am sure happy for you. NOthing better than a good fan when A/C isnt practical.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Your husband sounds as good as mine. We already have great stall fans which help keep the horses cool (they hang out under their fans all day long and are cool as cucumbers even in this swelter).

But yesterday, DH was so concerned about the heat building in the top of the barn, that he went out and bought thermostatically controlled attic fans to vent out the top part of the barn. Our farrier had mentioned them, and they really did seem to bring down the temps inside the barn in general.

Here's to great husbands!

Just curious, which model did you get? And how large is your barn? Thinking of investing in these, but not sure how many we would need.

While the barn I board at is not suitable for those things (and since my horses stay out), I'd still LOVE to have one blowing on me when I trim hooves. Eegads, do I ever drip. And it's VERY hard to see straight when it runs in your eyes, behind your glasses.

Give that man o'yours some serious smoochies!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

six thousand dollars for the two of them? OMG. yes, husband is indeed a saint. And a wealthy one at that!
    enjoy!!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Default the barn is 40'x140'

and we have two of them, spaced about 15 ft apart, one on each side of the aisle, both blow the same direction (which is the same direction as the wind usually blows). Yesterday, it got up to 80 on the outside thermometer, barn temp said 80, and that thermometer is in the hottest part of the barn, over by the tack room out of the direct "wind" from the fans or the aisle.

Yes, they were expensive, a small barn would only need one, and the two I have set up would probably do a much bigger barn. The barn we have has a very high roof point, and those "tobacco barn" vents at the roof line (if you live in tobacco country, you'll know what I'm refering to. The coolers were much less expensive that replacing the roof and insulating underneath it and installing roof vent fans. We'll likely do that in the future, but the roof has a few more years left anyway.

We've had them for 5 years now, with no trouble except the first year when a working student turned the water off and left the pumps on. Company replaced pump under warranty.

Anything pricey I buy, I just divide the cost per year of use. Easier to take that way.....
    Last edited by 2ndyrgal; Jun. 25, 2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: I meant to say 90 on the outside thermometer