The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Worming for the first time. Any tricks to make it an ok experience?

Just wondering if any of you have any method you use for, or prior to, worming to make it no big deal.

I've never had an adult horse who objected to worming, but there is one in the barn, and I'd love to set my foal up to have a positive experience, so she doesn't turn into an adult horse with the worming issues this one has! This other horse (not mine) is tranqued for worming or shots--what a pita!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I have never had a problem with worming foals. I usually do it in a stall so that I can back them up in a corner if necessary. I introduce the syringe slowly and gently. My foals get a lot of handling so they don't usually mind me poking and prodding them

Perhaps take a syringe filled with something yummy and practice with that for a few days first. That gets him looking forward to, and eagerly accepting, the syringe.

On D-Day, give a syringe or two of the yummy stuff, then the dewormer, then another syringe or two of yummy stuff.

Backing up even further, you'd first have him ok with you generally messing with his mouth and poking a finger in here and there.

I agree with JB's method

My colt didn't care for the first 3 or 4 times. Then he decided it was icky medicine. So, we gave him a syringe of applesauce now and then instead.

Don't let foal watch the others get feisty (my old mare hated worming)

Don't make a big deal out of it, and as soon as paste is in, remove offending syringe and walk off. Come back with good food. Done.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Perhaps take a syringe filled with something yummy and practice with that for a few days first. That gets him looking forward to, and eagerly accepting, the syringe.

On D-Day, give a syringe or two of the yummy stuff, then the dewormer, then another syringe or two of yummy stuff.

Backing up even further, you'd first have him ok with you generally messing with his mouth and poking a finger in here and there.

Mine love vanilla yogurt. Plus you get the benefit of the probiotics in it.

I dip the tip of the wormer tube into some molasses.

I've never had it be a big deal.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

A lot of the manufacturers have added apple flavor to their dewormers at this point. So worming has become a non-issue for the most part since the foals like the taste and with the grown-ups I just put it in their feed.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Mine love the apple flavored versions.

I've never had a problem though because by the time they are old enough to deworm, they have been getting Rejuvenaide (which they also love) for a couple of weeks. They are so used to my syringe containing something tasty, that they line up at the fence when they see me coming.

I dip the wormer tube in moms grain and my foals are usually begging to get the wormer. Never had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    I've never had it be a big deal.
    Me neither. Just stick it in and do it. Horses get to be a pain because they get away from the handler and avoid something. So, if had any advice it would just be to do it when you can "win"...but don't make it such a big production. It will be fine.

Never had a problem either. I have never even done it slowly or with flavouring (since it is already flavoured). Boom, done, scritch the wither, next.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

The trick is the whole positive experience thing. Don't worry if the foal doesn't accept the tip of the wormer in the mouth at first. I've found foals to be naturally curious and want to know what it's all about. Therefore I usually have grain in one hand and the wormer in the other. They learn that wormer is a positive and yummy experience
    Willow Run Connemaras
    Home of: "Willow Boy" (*Chiltern Colm ex *Sillbridge Miranda by Thunderbolt)
    ~Irish Connemara Ponies for Sport and Pleasure~
    www.willowrunconnemaras.com